C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Logging fuel pressure via the oil pressure input?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:07 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Logging fuel pressure via the oil pressure input?

I am already logging my wideband through the EGR input. I'd like to start logging fuel pressure too; I know the most common way is through the A/C pressure input, and to put it on a toggle switch if you still want A/C to work. I was thinking about how I'd like to do this on my car and came up with another option...why not use the oil pressure input, with a similar toggle switch setup? They even read in the same pressure range, so with the correct 0-5V sender, you could theoretically switch between having oil or fuel pressure displayed on the instrument panel / DIC, which would be cool. Has anyone else ever tried this?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:09 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I did it on my LS swapped Nova. Although I didn’t try to log both.
The GM oil pressure sensor is 0-130 psi and most if not all aftermarket fuel pressure sending units are 0-100 psi.
So I just wrote some math for the chart display to get it to view properly.
Verified with a mech gauge, works perfect.

Being turbocharged with boost referenced FPR, I wanted to be sure my fuel pressure was doing what I expected it to do.

Ron
Old 11-28-2018, 12:35 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Very cool, thanks! I am running a turbo/boost-referenced setup as well. Yes, all the aftermarket sensors I've found are either 0-100 or 0-150. I'll have to see if I can find a way to adapt one to read close to the correct scale.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:12 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

I would caution against this. Isn't the oil pressure sensor the one that the PCM uses to turn off the fuel pump relay? No oil pressure = turn off fuel?

If that's the way things operate, you don't want the "oil pressure" reading to the PCM to be the fuel pump output. In the event you have an accident, and a fuel line is broken, you want the pump to shut off when the engine stops. If it's still reading pressure from the fuel line, and the fuel pump keeps running, you will have a very serious hazard.

I know it sounds like a remote possibility, but I know someone who spent over a year in the hospital because of a rigged fuel pump relay. He got in an accident, and the fuel line broke and was aimed at the exhaust manifold. The pump kept running and pumped almost a full tank of gas into the fire. He was in bad shape after that accident. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone, ever.

Now, if the fuel pump still shuts off based on some other signal to the PCM, it would be safe, but I'd make damned sure that safety feature isn't affected by what you're doing. Test the thing before you assume anything.

You don't ever want to change your handle here from @TastyBacon to @CrispyBacon

PS. Is yours a manual transmission?

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 11-28-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added PS question.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:08 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Thanks for the reply; I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Yes, it's a manual. I don't think the PCM works that way; my oil pressure sensor has failed and has been unplugged for a couple months now. It reads -15psi on logging software, but the car still works just fine, except for a "Service Engine Soon" message on the DIC after starting the engine that can be cleared with the Reset button.

Last edited by TastyBacon; 11-28-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:13 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
Thanks for the reply; I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Yes, it's a manual. I don't think the PCM works that way; my oil pressure sensor has failed and has been unplugged for a couple months now. It reads -15psi on logging software, but the car still works just fine, except for a "Service Engine Soon" message on the DIC after starting the engine that's easy to clear with the Reset button.
With a manual, it's fairly easy to check.

With the engine running, engage 4th gear and let the clutch out. Yes, stall it that way. With the key still on, and everything active, see if you hear the fuel pump running, or if you have voltage at the pump. You can also see if fuel pressure falls to what it does after the pump shuts off (the key off), or if it stays at pump running pressure.

15 psi is generally above the cutoff threshold, so you might find out your pump is running all the time. If it is, fix that soon. As I pointed out, that's a big safety issue.

OOPS. I just realized you said it reads -15psi. Never mind. I'd still want to verify that your pump is cutting off like it should. I'm kind of paranoid about that.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 11-28-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Logging fuel pressure via the oil pressure input?

Quick Reply: Logging fuel pressure via the oil pressure input?