C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Smartest throttle body option.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 03:05 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Smartest throttle body option.

I have a 2001 C5 that I'm transplanting an LS3 into.

Slowly but surely my parts are showing up, and it's getting closer and closer to the big day. I'm still on the fence though about what to do for a throttle body.
My donor LS3 has the gold blade throttle body on it. Most people have said to ditch it and get an LS2 throttle body because the gold blade style will most likely cause issues with REP and CEL. Having said that, there are several instances of guys getting them to work either by wiring mods or tuning. I've also seen another product that appears to make the gold blade plug and play in an LS1 car.

Here's my options as I see it right now, guys help me figure out what to do please!

1. $50 for an adapter harness and hope I can use the gold blade via tuning or wiring. = $50 + time messing around.
2. $50 for an adapter harness + $400 for an LS2 throttle body. = $450 and guaranteed to work.
3. $250 for this "X-Link" harness adapter. = $250 (supposedly plug and play. Has anyone used this? http://www.torquerush.com/x-link.html )
4. Are there any aftermarket TBs out there that are wired for an LS1 but have a 90mm bore?
5. Something else I haven't thought of?

Obviously, I can just get the regular adapter harness for $50, then splurge the extra $400 for an LS2 TB if the gold blade one doesn't work out... BUT if something like that X-Link works, then I can just grab that right off the bat and I'm only in it for $250.

Hmmmm.... help me out fellas.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:10 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Nobody?
Anyone use this harness?
http://www.torquerush.com/x-link.html
Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyACE
I have a 2001 C5 that I'm transplanting an LS3 into.

Slowly but surely my parts are showing up, and it's getting closer and closer to the big day. I'm still on the fence though about what to do for a throttle body.
My donor LS3 has the gold blade throttle body on it. Most people have said to ditch it and get an LS2 throttle body because the gold blade style will most likely cause issues with REP and CEL.
Tuning. It WILL work in your C5. I've done these swaps, so I know it personally.

Guys at ECS figured it out years ago.

You can do it with either HPTuners or EFILive.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:45 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Tuning. It WILL work in your C5. I've done these swaps, so I know it personally.

Guys at ECS figured it out years ago.

You can do it with either HPTuners or EFILive.
Good to know! So it can be done with just the basic harness adapter, or do you need the X-Link one?

Do you have a tune, that I could plug-in for mine?
Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Hey, Pekka_Perkeles

Any chance of getting a tune from you that would make this work?
Getting close to engine install time here!

Last edited by sydneyACE; 12-17-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:20 AM
chase1873
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you make out here? Did you by the cable or the "xlink"???

Last edited by chase1873; 08-26-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:06 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

I'm currently running the gold blade TB (without the x-link), and have tweaked a few different spots on the tuning.

It's mostly working all of the time.... every once in a while though I still get reduced engine power.
Sometimes when it hit the rev-limiter (especially when the tires break loose fast, like on wet pavement, etc.)
Sometimes when I'm going down hill, in high gear, coasting (high vacuum, low RPM situations).

I'm daily driving the car and only get REP once in a while, so overall I'd say it's working, it's just not perfect though.

Last edited by sydneyACE; 08-27-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Smartest throttle body option.

Quick Reply: Smartest throttle body option.