C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Newbie to tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:54 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Newbie to tuning

I have never tuned a fuel injected anything much less a modern vehicle. I was curious what is all required to do tuning myself with a laptop. How hard is it to really learn to tune the car? Is it easy to swap between tunes?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:20 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The tuning process between different makers is somewhat simliar however to exactly know which tables to alter can be difficult without some schooling or training
If you are only concerned about LS type engines from 97+ it can be learned IF you are one who loves to study and 'tinker"
The best tuning software out there is HP tuners or EFILIVE --I chose EFILIVE after some thought and researching and was glad i did--------
The key to tuning for max HP and TQ does not simply mean changing tuning parameters in your tune like spark and fueling but knowing when and where to make corrections
Learning how to use the "data logger' with either sofware is the key to proper tuninng The data logger gives you real time data so you can make adjustments in your tune-- and then qualifying if those changes in fact added airflow that equals more HP----
If you simply want a better tune for your car--get a mail order tune--If you want to learn HOW to tune your own car and maybe others--Buy the software and get some training--Tuning stock type bolt on cars is far easier than tuning a car with a cam/heads/LT headers/or boost--All depends on what your goals are--
The following users liked this post:
MaxRyder (03-21-2019)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:47 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I think any one can, you just need the desire to do so and have the time and patience to learn/experiment a bit. They sell those Greg Banish DVDs which probably would cover all your bases to get started but they are a little expensive. Otherwise, maybe start out by reading a couple books to get a solid foundation, then buy the software and dig in at your own pace.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie to tuning

Quick Reply: Newbie to tuning