C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

To tune or not to tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:31 PM
scsete26
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To tune or not to tune

Hello everyone. Looking for some guidance. Purchased a cat back extreme Corsa exhaust and a Blackwing CAI for my c5 and going to have them installed in the spring. Had the car for less than a year and only performance mods I plan on doing for a while. I’m wondering if I should get it tuned (or can I tune it myself) to get the most out of my investment of if it will be fine just the way it is. If it matters it is an auto.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:28 AM
digitaloutsider
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

You're not going to get massive power out of a tune or anything. However, based on having an automatic alone I would get a tune since the factory calibrations generally leave something to be desired.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:50 PM
GradyBaby16
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

As stated, power gains wont be massive but I still think its worth the tune. I remember my first "bolt-ons" tune from Vengeance Racing and I got alot more then just power added. He also had my radiator fans kick on sooner which made me feel at ease during the hotter months and traffic, also got rid of the whole skip shift nonsence and a few other small things which improved my driving experience with the car.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:27 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Any C5 is very well tuned bone stock--Tuning will always help ANY car as the CAI will add extra airflow and often times with really hi quality CAI's such as a Blackwing in order to get the full benefit of that extra airflow a tune is required
HOWEVER on a auto car I have seen C5's gain 3-5 tenths in the 1/4 mile with simple trans tuning without even touching any of the engine parameters
1 Delete ALL the TQ management
2 Delete the Abuse Management
3 set the ECT Pedal TQ limit reduction to read 100% to the entire table ( this table limits the throttle opening all the time to where the DBY throttle will actually NOT go to WOT until almost max TQ is achieved about 4000 RPM
4 Delete the 3rd gear lock up on the TCC
5 Raise the 4th gear lock up to about 53 MPH
6 Set the TCC PWM min to 95% and the max to 98%
7 on a STOCK trans set ALL the shift times to about .25
8 On a stock trans adjust the FMC tables both positive and negative by subtracting about 12% from 6 PSI and above (later ECM's only have a single positive table)
These simple tuning changes even on a stock C5 will gain throttle reponse and engine quickness at launch----PLUS the added firmness of the shifts actually lengthens trans life and reduces trans temps by not allowing the cluthes to "slip" during shifts----Firm crisp shifts gains 1/4 mile ET's
Old 03-20-2019, 10:42 PM
LTCHAPPA
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

My first Dyno tune was with the same mods that you are having installed.You should gain about 20 RWHP. and the car is going to sound better.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

One thing you must realize with a drive by wire throttle-- say you are at a dead stop and floor the throttle The factory tune does NOT allow the throttle to go to WOT until you hit approx 3500 RPM
This is why all DBW cars are lazy off the line--Any tuner with HP or EFILIVE can fix this throttle delay and make the throttle act like a cable throttle----So when you floor it the throttle actually goes to WOT
instantly-----This is always the 1st thing all tuners do to wake up any DBW engine PLUS there are other TQ management adjustments that aid in throttle reponse and top end HP without even addressing timing or fueling !!!
The C5 usually makes like 350 crank HP However when the computer gets it's hands on it you will be lucky to get 250 crank HP
Old 04-09-2019, 03:29 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Aikman tuning here in Austin did this to mine plus the engine tune. It really woke up the car and sounds way better. All for 500

Originally Posted by tblu92
Any C5 is very well tuned bone stock--Tuning will always help ANY car as the CAI will add extra airflow and often times with really hi quality CAI's such as a Blackwing in order to get the full benefit of that extra airflow a tune is required
HOWEVER on a auto car I have seen C5's gain 3-5 tenths in the 1/4 mile with simple trans tuning without even touching any of the engine parameters
1 Delete ALL the TQ management
2 Delete the Abuse Management
3 set the ECT Pedal TQ limit reduction to read 100% to the entire table ( this table limits the throttle opening all the time to where the DBY throttle will actually NOT go to WOT until almost max TQ is achieved about 4000 RPM
4 Delete the 3rd gear lock up on the TCC
5 Raise the 4th gear lock up to about 53 MPH
6 Set the TCC PWM min to 95% and the max to 98%
7 on a STOCK trans set ALL the shift times to about .25
8 On a stock trans adjust the FMC tables both positive and negative by subtracting about 12% from 6 PSI and above (later ECM's only have a single positive table)
These simple tuning changes even on a stock C5 will gain throttle reponse and engine quickness at launch----PLUS the added firmness of the shifts actually lengthens trans life and reduces trans temps by not allowing the cluthes to "slip" during shifts----Firm crisp shifts gains 1/4 mile ET's
Old 04-17-2019, 08:33 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you VERY much my friend!

Originally Posted by RedTRex
That is what I wanted to happen with mine. Wasn't exactly looking for a HP increase just better management of what was available. after much research and debate I opted for Chuck COW tune. Granted it is a touch more expensive than some of the other options it is worth it. My C5 is phenomenal after just 3 updates and I am getting better gas mileage. The convivence of emailing data log and receiving rapid fine tuning files that can be flashed in matter of minutes greatly outweighs a cheaper alternative that require you to pull the ECM every time you need an update. No Downtime. Up front Chuck said I would be happy I did this.....was skeptical as what vendor wouldn't say that? Well I must admit he was right!

Thank you VERY much my friend!

I'm glad you made the wise choice. Yes, it's a few dollars more than the "CHEAP"option, but as I told you on the phone....

There is NOTHING like a Chuck CoW TUNE!

Thanks again!
Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To To tune or not to tune

Quick Reply: To tune or not to tune