C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuning updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:28 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Tuning updates

Can someone access and tune a ecm if it was a hand held programmer tune? Can I buy a hptuner and tweak an existing tune? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:13 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

YES you can However there may be a problem sometimes--------IF the previous tuner "LOCKED" your tune then only the originator of the tune can read or change it again---Most handheld tuners do not LOCK the ECM--
If you try to read your tune with HP or EFILIVE and it won't let you in --you are still not dead
What you need to do is what they call a "FULL FLASH" of the ECM back to stock
What you need to know is the "operating system" of your ECM---Every year model can have 2-4 different operating systems So when doing a Full Flash back to stock you must use the exact same OS system or it will not load
Once you have loaded a stock tune you are golden to do whatever you want
My guess is your car was handheld tuned and then you acn simply re flash it with a CAL FLASH with HP or EFILIVE
But it may be a good idea to put it back to stock to start fresh
Old 01-26-2020, 11:33 AM
Bills01vett
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
YES you can However there may be a problem sometimes--------IF the previous tuner "LOCKED" your tune then only the originator of the tune can read or change it again---Most handheld tuners do not LOCK the ECM--
If you try to read your tune with HP or EFILIVE and it won't let you in --you are still not dead
What you need to do is what they call a "FULL FLASH" of the ECM back to stock
What you need to know is the "operating system" of your ECM---Every year model can have 2-4 different operating systems So when doing a Full Flash back to stock you must use the exact same OS system or it will not load
Once you have loaded a stock tune you are golden to do whatever you want
My guess is your car was handheld tuned and then you acn simply re flash it with a CAL FLASH with HP or EFILIVE
But it may be a good idea to put it back to stock to start fresh

my car is stock, maybe I wasn’t clear, no disrespect. Custom tunes online, what device do I download them to in order to upload them into my vehicle? What type of handheld device? Lol
Old 06-15-2020, 11:08 PM
Dave R. Quintero
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get an answer yet?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:11 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

The answer depends on the format of the "custom tunes online" that you're looking at. Most of them were created with commercial software, and can only be flashed using the same tools that were used to create them.

If the file name ends with .bin then you can probably use PCM Hammer or LS Droid to flash them. Both are free. But both are relatively new, so there are very few tunes out there.

And flashing someone else's tune is a bit of a gamble. You can only guess how good they are at tuning. You have to trust that the tune you find really was made for the combination of mods that it says it was made for.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning updates

Quick Reply: Tuning updates