C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Inattention can mess up your tune!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:37 AM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inattention can mess up your tune!

When I downloaded the first LS1 Edit PCM program from my 04 coupe this past Friday, I was sitting in my car reading the LS1 Edit User Manual. LS1 Edit, and perhaps the tuner that you use, is very, very specific about actions you should and should not take when you are flashing your PCM with a new tuning program. One of the biggest is not to do ANYTHING to the car will you are uploading a new program to your PCM. (Downloads are no big deal; you're not changing anything in the PCM when you download.)

What I noticed (this is the intent of this thread) are the little things I was doing in the car without really thinking about it. Examples? Here you go: foot on the brake (turns the brakelights on), opened the window, used the cigarette lighter, resting foot on the gas pedal (this is actually an electrical switch, not a linkage to the engine), and a couple more.

If I had done these "little" things while actually uploading a program to the PCM, it would have introduced false signals into the PCM and trashed my tuning and, possibly, the PCM itself.

LS1 Edit says to connect the computer to the PCM and run the cabling through the open window to your laptop sitting on top of the car's roof (on a clean, fluffy, 100% Made in the USA cotton towel, of course) . Once you start the program upload to the PCM, keep everybody and everything away from the car. Don't open the door, turn on the radio, or anything else. Should only take about 4 minutes to upload the program.

I just wanted to point out how easy it might be to make a senseless mistake while tuning your Vette because of the things we all do without thinking about them.

Hope this helps!

[Modified by ArmyVette, 7:38 AM 6/7/2004]
Old 06-07-2004, 10:17 AM
HurricaneZ
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Inattention can mess up your tune! (ArmyVette)

This is the #1 reason I went with HPTuners suite
Old 06-12-2004, 03:15 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Inattention can mess up your tune! (ArmyVette)

Jeff: Very true. I do the uploads in the car. I reset the DIC and make sure the cable is solid. I also have my laptop TSR's off. I don't touch anything. Never a problem (knocking on wood).
Old 06-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Travis99C5
Pro

Default Re: Inattention can mess up your tune! (HurricaneZ)

I second that.

Get notified of new replies

To Inattention can mess up your tune!

Quick Reply: Inattention can mess up your tune!