C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrics problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:34 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electrics problem

Here is an interesting problem i have....
1. Cruising down freeway, at night, when suddenly a buzzing noise from front of dash. turn Radio off, A/c off. suddenly wipers come up about 1/4 way and stop. buzzing stops. Wiper switch is inoperative but fuse is good. stopped car.

2. upon restart get "pull key wait 10 secs." try again... "service column lock" sure but i already have the Bypass. I've had it for ~1 1/2 years now w/no problems.

3. towed got car home. check battery voltage. 11.9 volts (good battery) i put it on the charger anyway.

Next day...
Here is what i have done so far to TRY and fix this.
A. detach bypass and reconnect column lock. Service Column Lock
column will not lock when connected.

B. pulled BCM fuse #25 to reset. tried both bypass and column lock again (pulled fuse each time). Service Column Lock

C. disconnected battery, repeated step B. still, Service Column Lock

Is it possible the bypass went bad? I don't think a signal is being sent to the column lock, as the bypass doesn't "click" and the original column lock will not lock (or make any sound). Some how i think the wipers and the column lock are related but can't figure out how.

I don't trust the dealer and have NOT done the column lock recall. (had bypass, no worries.)

WTF is going on here , ANY ideas.

BTW my wipers are still 1/4 way up...

Car is a '99, mn6

TIA Will
Old 01-28-2005, 07:37 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

TTT

Anybody???
Old 01-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Will

I think you have more than one issue but I want to solve one at a
time.

First the wipers. The buzzing noise was more than likley the wiper control module loosing it mind. I need you to check the windshield cowl drains. What happens is the Winshield Cowl Drains get full of trash and the shallow well that the wiper motor and wiper control module (inside the wiper motor) sit in, fills up with water and get the control module wet.

Here is a picture of the drains and a picture of where you can put your hand in to clean them.

Here is where you insert your hand.

Flashlight is highlighting the drain tubes.

Junk that came out of my drain tubes.

Drain Tubes out in the open!

Bill C
Old 01-30-2005, 07:05 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Thanks,
UPDATE
1. After studying the electical schmatics, I did a voltage check on the wiper plug under the dash. (It is the big connector next to the column lock connector). Apparently one of the wires (purple) was drawing a constant battery voltage (even when unplugged), when it should only have been when the wipers were on. Fuse was still good so not sure how, what, or why that happened.

2. I took the wiper cover off and cleaned the drains but nothing was clogging them and they were fairly clean. I then manually moved the mechanism around. Nothing was jammed or bent.
Turned the car on again and wipers work again!!!
I double checked the switch and every thing is as it should be, per the service manuals. Only the orange, HOT wire, is showing battery voltage with switch off.

OK now back to that column lock issue....
I again performed steps A, B, and C from first post.
still: service column lock....

Service manual says plug in diagnostic scanner and check for switch active/non-active response, thats great... I don't have a Tech2.

I checked all the voltages at the plug and they are correct.
4 wires: ground, lock position sensor, wire x, wire Y
lock sensor puts out same reponse voltage, with Bypass and column lock.
Voltage for wires X and Y are changed according to lock or unlock commands from the bcm.
command...wire X/wire Y
ignition off..ground/ground
ignition on..battery/battery
lock..........battery/ground
unlock.......ground/battery

I only have one voltmeter so i checked them one at a time. sure enough everything checks out, except that i can't check if the signal for lock/unlock is given as i can only check one wire at a time.

SO I'm still stuck with the "Service Column Lock"

ANY IDEAS !?!?!

Will
Old 01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie_corvette
Thanks,
UPDATE
1. After studying the electical schmatics, I did a voltage check on the wiper plug under the dash. (It is the big connector next to the column lock connector). Apparently one of the wires (purple) was drawing a constant battery voltage (even when unplugged), when it should only have been when the wipers were on. Fuse was still good so not sure how, what, or why that happened.

2. I took the wiper cover off and cleaned the drains but nothing was clogging them and they were fairly clean. I then manually moved the mechanism around. Nothing was jammed or bent.
Turned the car on again and wipers work again!!!
I double checked the switch and every thing is as it should be, per the service manuals. Only the orange, HOT wire, is showing battery voltage with switch off.

OK now back to that column lock issue....
I again performed steps A, B, and C from first post.
still: service column lock....

Service manual says plug in diagnostic scanner and check for switch active/non-active response, thats great... I don't have a Tech2.

I checked all the voltages at the plug and they are correct.
4 wires: ground, lock position sensor, wire x, wire Y
lock sensor puts out same reponse voltage, with Bypass and column lock.
Voltage for wires X and Y are changed according to lock or unlock commands from the bcm.
command...wire X/wire Y
ignition off..ground/ground
ignition on..battery/battery
lock..........battery/ground
unlock.......ground/battery

I only have one voltmeter so i checked them one at a time. sure enough everything checks out, except that i can't check if the signal for lock/unlock is given as i can only check one wire at a time.

SO I'm still stuck with the "Service Column Lock"

ANY IDEAS !?!?!

Will
Will,
The Column Lock harness has 4 wires as you described:
Black = Ground
Orange = Lock Command
Purple = Unlock Command
Green = Lock motor position sense. If your BCM is not faulty, then this is the heart of your problem. The Green wire should indicate +12V when key is OFF (column locked) and ground when key is ON (column unlocked). Please check the Black ground wire and make sure it is grounded. If it is a good ground, then go to the fuse panel under the passenger footwell and check the input fuses to the BCM to make sure you're not missing one of the +12V feeds to the BCM (I don't have access to my service manual). If those are good, then I suspect your BCM might have failed. Based upon the other symptoms you mentioned, there seems to be more going on with your BCM than just the wipers. Please let us know what you find.
Regards,
John

Get notified of new replies

To electrics problem

Quick Reply: electrics problem