C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Old 08-10-2023, 08:12 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Well it happened to me finally.....yesterday leaving work put the key in and went to start and it didnt unlock and got the pull key message. Tried bangning on the wheel, jacking it back and forth, then the service column lock message. Spent and hour in 108 weather pulling fuses 23 and 25 etc , cranking the wheel, on the forum and internet on my phone , nothing worked.
Came across a comment from someone to turn the wheel hard right while putting the key in and out..........................crunch sound and it unlocked !
Oh yeah, 2001 MN6 with 185K miles no bypass of any kind.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:45 PM
xcarter
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gpracer1
Well it happened to me finally.....yesterday leaving work put the key in and went to start and it didnt unlock and got the pull key message. Tried bangning on the wheel, jacking it back and forth, then the service column lock message. Spent and hour in 108 weather pulling fuses 23 and 25 etc , cranking the wheel, on the forum and internet on my phone , nothing worked.
Came across a comment from someone to turn the wheel hard right while putting the key in and out..........................crunch sound and it unlocked !
Oh yeah, 2001 MN6 with 185K miles no bypass of any kind.
Oh that's such a bummer after so long! I JUST put a reminder in to install my LMC5 kit this week after reading this.

UPDATE: did it. Never had an issue with my 1999 A4, but wanted it as a preventive. Then I was one of the lucky ones to get the persistent “pull key…” message (my car has the extra relay mentioned in the instructions). So I went back and did the brown wire while it was fresh. No issues now.

Three of the pins we’re harder to get out than the first one, but I was patient, took breaks to reset my hands and arms and got them all out eventually. Took maybe an hour to do the main install going slow and including checking that the wheel wasn’t locked. Doing the brown wire mod took less than 15 minutes. Glad I didn’t put that off.

my advice if you have the relay (or maybe all the time?) do the brown wire while you are in there.

Last edited by xcarter; 08-18-2023 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-24-2023, 08:46 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Well it started not unlocking every other day. Nothing would unlock it. Ordered the LMC5 and had to pull the steering wheel cover to tap on the motor to get it to unlock. Installed the kit, tossed the relay and all is good so far. Well is did last 185.000 miles.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:33 PM
Resist
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why not let the dealership do the recall? I have a 2003 Z06 and do have an LMC5, just never installed it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)