C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 05:49 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I had the factory recall done on my 97....never had a problem before the
fix or after the fix. The steering wheel does move back and forth now with the key off so it is completly free of lock-up issues.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:51 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

yep joe, you got an A4 and had the recall done, so you're all set and should never have to think about the column lock problem again.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Thanks TopCat...nice post and very helpful to share the specifics of the recall instructions. I'm sure this will be very helpful to many of our forum members.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:23 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TopCat
... So, it is actually a 3-step process and the M6's do get a new harness of their own in addition to a PCM reprogram...

Here's a summary I did last Sept. for this subject...

Involves:
97-2000 A4's:ALL
2001-2004 A4's: Export Only
1997-2004 MN6's: ALL

Here is the text of the recall notice. It says nothing about the MN6s getting the new wire kit. As a matter of fact, it specifically mentions that the manual transmision cars do not get the wire kit:

==========

1997-2004: Recall: Electronic Column Lock System

Subject:
GMP04-112 - 04006A - Electronic Column Lock System

MODELS:
CERTAIN 1997-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION, 1997-2000 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, AND CERTAIN 2001-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION – EUROPEAN EXPORT ONLY.

PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL #04006A - DATED: JULY 26, 2004

NOTE:
THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND REPLACES BULLETIN 04006, ISSUED APRIL 2004. ADDITIONAL VEHICLES HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE POPULATION. THIS BULLETIN DOES NOT INCLUDE A SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR 1997 MANUALS AND EXPORT AUTOMATICS, OR 1998 MANUALS AND EXPORT AUTOMATICS BUILT THROUGH 5-25-98. THE BULLETIN WILL BE REVISED WHEN PARTS FOR THESE VEHICLES ARE AVAILABLE. ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 04006 SHOULD BE DESTROYED.

DESCRIPTION:
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1997-2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. When you remove the ignition key, the electronic column lock (ECL) system prevents turning of the steering wheel. When the vehicle is started, it unlocks the steering. Two conditions can prevent steering while the vehicle is moving:

1. The vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started, the fuel supply will be shut off if the driver tries to move the vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering is locked.

2. During quick cranks, the ECL lock pin may not withdraw fully and, in vehicles where there is abnormally low clearance to the lock plate, there may be contact between the pin and lock plate. This can cause a noise or ratcheting when the steering wheel is turned or, if there is insufficient clearance, the steering wheel cannot be turned.

If one of these conditions occurs, a crash could occur without warning.
Dealers are to remove the column lock plate on U.S. and Canadian vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. After the service correction, the steering column will no longer lock when the key is removed.

On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, and export vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, dealers are to 1) reprogram the PCM, and 2) verify there is adequate lock plate clearance and, if necessary, replace the lock plate. After the service correction, the steering column will continue to lock when the key is removed.
Refer to the Product Safety Recall Bulletin #04006A for further information.

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Owner mailing is scheduled to begin August 2, 2004.

GENERAL INFORMATION:

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
88952427 Harness Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk Shorting (automatics except export vehicles) 1
88952428 Wire Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk (1998-2000 manuals & export automatics) 1 (If Req'd)
26056108 Nut, Strg Whl 1 (If Req'd)
26094767 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (manuals except exports) 1 (If Req'd)
88964588 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (export) 1 (If Req'd)
05694191 Ring, Strg Shf Lk Plt Ret 1 (If Req'd)

==========
Old 03-01-2005, 01:06 AM
EHS
Race Director

I love being right!!

EHS, if you're going to strongly (i.e., use bold and italics) argue that someone has posted something that is incorrect, be sure that you're absolutely, positively correct. Better practice is to suggest that someone may have overlooked something. There's no reason to strike up aggressive behavior on the forum....
TopCat:

I'm, not the one exhibiting agressive behavior in this case, you are. I was using bold and italics not to be "strongly," but simply to make it easier for people like myself, who need to speed read these posts, because we only have a limited time to try and get the correct information.

Simply put, your statements that (let me bold that for you again):

"...the M6's do get a new harness of their own in addition to a PCM reprogram..."

and it (more bold):

"Involves:... 1997-2004 MN6's: ALL"

are just incorrect, by the information you yourself posted, which you need to read more carefully, if, as you say, you want to be right all the time (with quadruple rolling eyes smilies).

First, the 2001-2004 MN6 cars only require the reprogram, not the "harness" kit that you state they do in your first post (you modified that to "wire kit" in your second, which are two different items and part numbers) -- I was responding to your gleeful "harness" assertion.

Again, slowly, no MN6 cars from 2001-2004 require a harness or wire anything. Please see the pdf file service procedure table you posted -- it's your own information.

Second, 1997-2000 manuals may require the wire kit (never the harness of which you posted a photo and part number), but only, and then only, if CSC01044 or TSB 01-02-35-008 were not performed.

I was simply responding to your statement of "fact" that ALL (your own caps) MN6 cars require the harness kit, when in fact 4 years worth don't, and the balance only if the prior CSC/TSBs weren't complied with.

Go reread your first post above, then look at the recall text of the pdf link you provided, and notice that besides using the harness and wire kit references loosely and incorrectly (which led to some of my confusion in the first place), you also specifically state that the 2001-2004s absoultely require the wire kit, when in fact they don't ("2001-2004: All M6's and European A4's (note GM didn't say "export") If CSC 0144 wasn't performed, install wire/relay kit, Reprogram and check with Tech 2 (no SPX tool).").

So, sorry, you're not right.

Cheers!

Last edited by EHS; 03-01-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:33 AM
spdnman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1998 A4 with a CLB installed. I still get the dreaded Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds error message once in a while. In order to get rid of this problem I believe I need to get the Harness K kit WITHOUT a PCM Flash. Is this correct? I have been reimbursed from Chevy and really do not want to go to a dealer ever again. I have a custom tune that I do not want to lose. Should I buy the harness and have The Vette Drs. install it? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:04 PM
EHS
Race Director

spdnman,

Chevy's recommendation for your year and the A4 is the harness kit without a PCM flash.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:12 PM
ROCKnROLL
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spdnman
I have a 1998 A4 with a CLB installed. I still get the dreaded Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds error message once in a while. In order to get rid of this problem I believe I need to get the Harness K kit WITHOUT a PCM Flash. Is this correct? I have been reimbursed from Chevy and really do not want to go to a dealer ever again. I have a custom tune that I do not want to lose. Should I buy the harness and have The Vette Drs. install it? Thanks.
It's been reported that some early year c5s (97-98) have problems with aftermarket CLBs. I agree, get the GM kit and have it installed. I would also suggest you turn in the receipts to GM for the kit and the labor charges and you may get lucky and get reimbursed for it.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:34 PM
spdnman
Pro

Originally Posted by ROCKnROLL
It's been reported that some early year c5s (97-98) have problems with aftermarket CLBs. I agree, get the GM kit and have it installed. I would also suggest you turn in the receipts to GM for the kit and the labor charges and you may get lucky and get reimbursed for it.
Thanks, that is my plan!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:44 PM
TopCat
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EHS
TopCat:

I'm, not the one exhibiting agressive behavior in this case, you are. I was using bold and italics not to be "strongly," but simply to make it easier for people like myself, who need to speed read these posts, because we only have a limited time to try and get the correct information.

Simply put, your statements that (let me bold that for you again):

"...the M6's do get a new harness of their own in addition to a PCM reprogram..."

and it (more bold):

"Involves:... 1997-2004 MN6's: ALL"

are just incorrect, by the information you yourself posted, which you need to read more carefully, if, as you say, you want to be right all the time (with quadruple rolling eyes smilies).

First, the 2001-2004 MN6 cars only require the reprogram, not the "harness" kit that you state they do in your first post (you modified that to "wire kit" in your second, which are two different items and part numbers) -- I was responding to your gleeful "harness" assertion.

Again, slowly, no MN6 cars from 2001-2004 require a harness or wire anything. Please see the pdf file service procedure table you posted -- it's your own information.

Second, 1997-2000 manuals may require the wire kit (never the harness of which you posted a photo and part number), but only, and then only, if CSC01044 or TSB 01-02-35-008 were not performed.

I was simply responding to your statement of "fact" that ALL (your own caps) MN6 cars require the harness kit, when in fact 4 years worth don't, and the balance only if the prior CSC/TSBs weren't complied with.

Go reread your first post above, then look at the recall text of the pdf link you provided, and notice that besides using the harness and wire kit references loosely and incorrectly (which led to some of my confusion in the first place), you also specifically state that the 2001-2004s absoultely require the wire kit, when in fact they don't ("2001-2004: All M6's and European A4's (note GM didn't say "export") If CSC 0144 wasn't performed, install wire/relay kit, Reprogram and check with Tech 2 (no SPX tool).").

So, sorry, you're not right.

Cheers!

Well, why didn't you say so in the first post.

Interchanging the wire/relay kit and harness terminology was my mistake; I now see your confusion. However, you carried on the confusion by saying "It says nothing about the MN6s getting the new wire kit." So, whatever.......

The 1998-2004 MN6s get the new wire kit if required. Either they got it earlier during CSC 0144 work or it will be installed during the recall (Pg. 14 of the linked Recall Service Document).

I don't understand your statement "you also specifically state that the 2001-2004s absoultely require the wire kit, when in fact they don't". Page 13 of the linked document states "The following procedures are for 1998 to 2004 vehicles with Manual Transmissions..." and the procedure continues with the use of the wire/relay kit description on page 14.

Other than incorrectly interchanging harness and wire/relay kit, I see no mistakes. Maybe others can point them out.....I'm happy to correct.
BTW, will edit my other post to minimize confusion.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 PM
TopCat
Pro

Originally Posted by spdnman
Thanks, that is my plan!

Did you say you were previously reimbursed by GM?

Are you removing the locking plate or just adding the Harness K?

Can you use the Harness K alone as a CLB? I once was led to believe that it could be, but learned later that it may not be possible.

Last edited by TopCat; 03-01-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
spdnman
Pro

Did you say you were previously reimbursed by GM?

Are you removing the locking plate or just adding the Harness K?

Can you use the Harness K alone as a CLB? I once was led to believe that it could be, but learned later that it may not be possible.

Reimbursed for towing and the CLB by GM. I think my plan is to remove the locking plate and add Harness K.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:22 PM
EHS
Race Director

Well, why didn't you say so in the first post.

Interchanging the wire/relay kit and harness terminology was my mistake... So, whatever.......

The 1998-2004 MN6s get the new wire kit if required. Either they got it earlier during CSC 0144 work or it will be installed during the recall (Pg. 14 of the linked Recall Service Document).

I don't understand your statement "you also specifically state that the 2001-2004s absoultely require the wire kit, when in fact they don't". Page 13 of the linked document states "The following procedures are for 1998 to 2004 vehicles with Manual Transmissions..." and the procedure continues with the use of the wire/relay kit description on page 14.

Other than incorrectly interchanging harness and wire/relay kit, I see no mistakes. Maybe others can point them out.....I'm happy to correct.
BTW, will edit my other post to minimize confusion.

I can help in pointing them out, no need for others to do so. You are lumping 1998-2004 manual transmission cars into one category. Go to page 4 of your linked document, and look at the service procedure chart, and what applies to what in each model year. Look at the two "x"s in 2001-2004 model years (manual), and tell me what they reference as required work. Wire kits and harnesses aren't one of them.

And page 13 relates to that -- it states --> the required repairs vary depending on model year. And, model years 2001-2004 don't require the kits, just the reporgram. So, to help, maybe further editing "to avoid confusion" is needed in your earlier posts, like ther part about "ALL" MN6 cars requiring the kit from 1997 to 2004.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:23 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Can you guys (TopCat and EHS) review my sticky and tell me what I need to be correct? I copied the info from TopCat's post into my post for reference on the recall instructions and now I think it may have errors in it. Thanks for your help
John
Old 03-02-2005, 08:17 AM
EHS
Race Director

Cscokd:

The point I was trying to make was that the harness kit (part #88952427) or the wire kit (part#88952428) is not required in the 1997 manual transmission cars, or the 2001-2004 manual transmission cars.

See page 4 of the Recall Bulletin that TopCat posted. Here's the link again for convenience:

Column Lock Recall

So to summarize for MN6 cars only (or MN12 in the case of the Z06):

Reprogram Only

1998 built through 5/25/98
Reprogram Only

1998 built on or after 5/28/98 and CSC 01044 was performed
Reprogram Only

1998 built on or after 5/28/98 and CSC 01044 was not performed
Install wire kit (part#88952428) and reprogram

1999-2000 and CSC 01044 or TSC 01--02-36-008 was performed
Reprogram Only

1999-2000 and CSC 01044 or TSC 01--02-36-008 was not performed
Install wire kit (part#88952428) and reprogram

2001-2004
Reprogram Only

So you can see that only a very limited number of the manual transmission cars get the wire kit (basically those pre-2001 cars that were ignored, and neither the Customer Satisfaction Program or the Technical Service Bulletin item was previously performed).

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
douglasjre (01-24-2023)
Old 03-02-2005, 02:52 PM
EHS
Race Director

Hmmnnnn....
Old 03-03-2005, 02:58 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Thanks EHS...just made edits to my sticky. Please make sure I got it straight. Thanks.
John

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM
TopCat
Pro

Originally Posted by EHS
Hmmnnnn....
Excuse me while I remove my head from the noose you so appropriately tied for me Gave me just enough rope to hang myself. Touche'

While I extricate my foot from my mouth, let me eat crow and apologize. I have deleted the erroneous posts to prevent confusion; haven't time to re-edit.

EHS, I bow down to your patience and comprehension.

Upshot - this sticky should help many, many people with the correct information in Readers Digest form.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:51 AM
EHS
Race Director

Excuse me while I remove my head from the noose you so appropriately tied for me Gave me just enough rope to hang myself. Touche'

While I extricate my foot from my mouth, let me eat crow and apologize. I have deleted the erroneous posts to prevent confusion; haven't time to re-edit.

EHS, I bow down to your patience and comprehension.

Upshot - this sticky should help many, many people with the correct information in Readers Digest form.

Not a problem.

It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken, or something like that, that is, to admit he's made a mistake.

All the best.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:12 PM
TopCat
Pro

Cscokd -

Kudos, great write-up!!!

I have one comment on the edited version regarding the following:

Originally Posted by Cscokd
Q What can happen then if my CLB gets out of sync?
A Your DIC will display "Service Steering Column Lock" error message; your steering wheel will not be locked; if you own a 1997-2000 C5 that has not had the recall implemented; you should be able to drive your car normally. You must reset your DIC each time you start your car if you are annoyed with the error message. IF you have a newer C5 (2001-2004) OR you've had the recall implemented, you will NOT be able to drive your car because the fuel will be shut off at speeds above 2 mph.
I've had the embarassing occasion in my '97 where I've started and got the message but I didn't see it before trying to pull off. Guess what? Moved 5 feet, hit 2 mph and the car stalled :bb So here I am, partially out of the parking spot HOPING the message won't come back. Imagine, pulled out, stalled, then had to pull key and count to 10!

Point is, I think the fuel shut-off is in place for all models that have an ECL from the factory. The recall PCM re-flash addresses the low-voltage reset of the PCM that would allow driving the car with a locked ECM. You might want to check up on that....might save a few people the embarassment I had.

Like I said, great post. Thanks for taking the time to research and write it up.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)