C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 02:25 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TopCat
Cscokd -

Kudos, great write-up!!!

I have one comment on the edited version regarding the following:

I've had the embarassing occasion in my '97 where I've started and got the message but I didn't see it before trying to pull off. Guess what? Moved 5 feet, hit 2 mph and the car stalled :bb So here I am, partially out of the parking spot HOPING the message won't come back. Imagine, pulled out, stalled, then had to pull key and count to 10!

Point is, I think the fuel shut-off is in place for all models that have an ECL from the factory. The recall PCM re-flash addresses the low-voltage reset of the PCM that would allow driving the car with a locked ECM. You might want to check up on that....might save a few people the embarassment I had.

Like I said, great post. Thanks for taking the time to research and write it up.

TopCat....Have you had the recall done that reprogrammed your PCM? If yes, then it makes sense. If no, then I'm confused. I have a '98 M6 without the recall and when I was designing my own CLB I got my BCM got out of sync by unplugging my ECL harness after the key was ON (unlocked), then I just drove it that way everyday for a whole month with the error message displayed on my DIC. I didn't want to take a chance that my ECL would lock up while I was waiting for parts to build my own. I could drive as fast as I wanted and never any fuel issues. I just reset my DIC if the error message got me too annoyed. So I'm wondering if there might be a difference in the PCMs between your '97 and my '98?
John
Old 03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
TopCat
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cscokd
TopCat....Have you had the recall done that reprogrammed your PCM? If yes, then it makes sense. If no, then I'm confused. I have a '98 M6 without the recall and when I was designing my own CLB I got my BCM got out of sync by unplugging my ECL harness after the key was ON (unlocked), then I just drove it that way everyday for a whole month with the error message displayed on my DIC. I didn't want to take a chance that my ECL would lock up while I was waiting for parts to build my own. I could drive as fast as I wanted and never any fuel issues. I just reset my DIC if the error message got me too annoyed. So I'm wondering if there might be a difference in the PCMs between your '97 and my '98?
John
Mine must not be a sync problem, then. It must be a different fault because my message is different....something to the effect "Pull key and wait 10 seconds." I believe that message relates to the signal from the microswitch; BCM thinks the steering is still locked. There must be different logic for your DIC message. That's why I brought it up, because I didn't understand how you could get a warning message relating to the ECL showing up on the DIC and then still being able to drive. Now I know there's a difference.

BTW, I have an A4, no recall (yet) and a CLB, that works without trouble over half the time, although I don't know if it's damaging other components (e.g., the BCM). Based on what I've seen on your post, I don't know how a CLB could affect the BCM. Although, I also don't know why my CLB typically causes faults when the interior is very hot from parking in the sun (work). Although, it's failed when temps were lower, too, just not nearly as frequently. Increased resistance from the heat??

Anyway, once again, great job.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Mine must not be a sync problem, then. It must be a different fault because my message is different....something to the effect "Pull key and wait 10 seconds." I believe that message relates to the signal from the microswitch; BCM thinks the steering is still locked. There must be different logic for your DIC message. That's why I brought it up, because I didn't understand how you could get a warning message relating to the ECL showing up on the DIC and then still being able to drive. Now I know there's a difference.

BTW, I have an A4, no recall (yet) and a CLB, that works without trouble over half the time, although I don't know if it's damaging other components (e.g., the BCM). Based on what I've seen on your post, I don't know how a CLB could affect the BCM. Although, I also don't know why my CLB typically causes faults when the interior is very hot from parking in the sun (work). Although, it's failed when temps were lower, too, just not nearly as frequently. Increased resistance from the heat??

Anyway, once again, great job.

Hey TopCat...Concerning your A4, I sure wish you had another or even different brand CLB to try for a while as an experiment. I'm wondering if your CLB might be defective and affected by high temperatures. Gosh, mine has worked flawlessly from day one.

As far as the CLB causing damage to your BCM, I just can't imagine how that will happen and I'm still waiting for someone to come forward with a real legitimate case. The only case I've heard about was most likely a CLB failure that short circuited taking fuses and wire harness with it and probably disabled the car in the process. The BCM apparently survived. I still say GM has designed in adequate fuse protection to save the BCM from damage. One thing I have considered is to add a fuse to my CLB design just to protect the wiring harness in the event of catastrophic failure. But that's all just my opinion.

One of these days I'm going to research what all the reasons are that trigger the "Remove key and wait 10 seconds" message. Folks on the forum seem to always tie it to the ECL, but I think there are other reasons for this message too including your key pellet. Anyway, good luck to you. Let us know if you discover anything new.
Regards,
John
Old 03-10-2005, 03:39 PM
TopCat
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cscokd
Hey TopCat...Concerning your A4, I sure wish you had another or even different brand CLB to try for a while as an experiment. I'm wondering if your CLB might be defective and affected by high temperatures. Gosh, mine has worked flawlessly from day one.

As far as the CLB causing damage to your BCM, I just can't imagine how that will happen and I'm still waiting for someone to come forward with a real legitimate case. The only case I've heard about was most likely a CLB failure that short circuited taking fuses and wire harness with it and probably disabled the car in the process. The BCM apparently survived. I still say GM has designed in adequate fuse protection to save the BCM from damage. One thing I have considered is to add a fuse to my CLB design just to protect the wiring harness in the event of catastrophic failure. But that's all just my opinion.

One of these days I'm going to research what all the reasons are that trigger the "Remove key and wait 10 seconds" message. Folks on the forum seem to always tie it to the ECL, but I think there are other reasons for this message too including your key pellet. Anyway, good luck to you. Let us know if you discover anything new.
Regards,
John
This was my second CLB from jmX. Had problems with the first, he sent a new one and I sent the old one back. Never heard if he found a defect. The second one exhibits the same problem, and yes, the key pellet may be a factor, but I had that problem, too, and I couldn't crank the car when it got finicky on me. My VIN indicates that my car was built about halfway through the model year (#5687). Maybe she's pissed because the numbers didn't go in sequential order (5678) Don't know. It does weird things at weird times, like honking the horn when I crank it, and taking two cranks to start when at operating temp. I've tried turning key on/off then crank to see if it's the electronics; tried cranking like a fiend for 10-15 seconds to see if she'd start (I know, ouch), etc., etc. Have had the PCM reprogrammed by a mail order outfit and the changes they made didn't change the hot start issue. Don't know, but I'm going to work on the chassis grounds this spring and see if they're crudded up (unlikely on this garage queen). Guess I'll see if it's attributed to something else after I get the recall done (someday).

Old 03-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

This was my second CLB from jmX. Had problems with the first, he sent a new one and I sent the old one back. Never heard if he found a defect. The second one exhibits the same problem, and yes, the key pellet may be a factor, but I had that problem, too, and I couldn't crank the car when it got finicky on me. My VIN indicates that my car was built about halfway through the model year (#5687). Maybe she's pissed because the numbers didn't go in sequential order (5678) Don't know. It does weird things at weird times, like honking the horn when I crank it, and taking two cranks to start when at operating temp. I've tried turning key on/off then crank to see if it's the electronics; tried cranking like a fiend for 10-15 seconds to see if she'd start (I know, ouch), etc., etc. Have had the PCM reprogrammed by a mail order outfit and the changes they made didn't change the hot start issue. Don't know, but I'm going to work on the chassis grounds this spring and see if they're crudded up (unlikely on this garage queen). Guess I'll see if it's attributed to something else after I get the recall done (someday).

TopCat,
I think I'll order the components and build you one of my CLBs to try. Would you be willing to install it and try it? I'd be interested to see if it works any better than the one that you have. Mine has worked flawlessly now since I installed it. If it works better than the one you have, then simply re-emburse me for my costs and shipping and if it doesn't work better then simply return it to me. Let me know if you'd be interested. I'd like to help you get this figured out. It's a major PITA when you can't trust your car to start reliably.
John
Old 03-18-2005, 09:50 AM
love my car
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All i can say is WOW IM REALLY CONFUSED!! Take my car to do the recall sounded like it wasent going to fix the thing and now this??? The CLB i was going to get from jimx now i guess what i should do is nothing and pray. What really pisses me off is GM had from 97 to 2004 to take care of it and they didnt. When i got my car a 2004 6 speed i assumed al the glitches would have been worked out. Another question what about the c6 is this a ongoing issue???? VERY TROUBLING i"ll be watching this thread thanks to all who try to keep us newbe vette guys informed
Old 03-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Originally Posted by love my car
All i can say is WOW IM REALLY CONFUSED!! Take my car to do the recall sounded like it wasent going to fix the thing and now this??? The CLB i was going to get from jimx now i guess what i should do is nothing and pray. What really pisses me off is GM had from 97 to 2004 to take care of it and they didnt. When i got my car a 2004 6 speed i assumed al the glitches would have been worked out. Another question what about the c6 is this a ongoing issue???? VERY TROUBLING i"ll be watching this thread thanks to all who try to keep us newbe vette guys informed
You'll probably be just fine with a CLB from jimx or Corvettes of Houston in your 2004. It seems that the CLB did not always work perfectly for early 97 and 98 C5's. Welcome to the forum.
John
Old 03-26-2005, 10:16 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Default Done!

I finally got off my butt and installed the Block from Corvettes of Houston, yesterday...Other than a stubborn first screw, process took less than 1hr including minor cleanup. NO CODES.

I had to install the unit because I have computer programming........I did not want to go to the Dealer.........

Thanks Guys!!!!! the posts for this issue were very informative.

dcamick

Last edited by dcamick; 03-26-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:19 PM
GoDsaDJ
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New part Avail. from GM

I have a 99' w/the MN6, had to replace my CL with a "newer designed" actuator/motor due to the PCM reprogram not really working (as told in replies above) the sound of the new actuator is quicker, but that's about all i know. It is apparently a "new" thing GM is trying on manuals with this common problem.

heres the specs:

GM part no. 88965331 "lock" @ 180.30$ list, 174.73$ net

and 160.00$ for labor, with tax was 374.21$
(w/a 15.00$ misc profits fee)

going on 48Hrs with no problems. perhaps this can be used w/o the PCM reprogram so it does not kill one's custom tune.

later, J

UPDATE: MAY 8TH 2005, SITLL WORKING !!! NOT ONE PROBLEM SINCE ABOVE WORK DONE.

Last edited by GoDsaDJ; 05-08-2005 at 07:05 AM. Reason: To show validity of repair
Old 03-29-2005, 01:29 PM
tnsyty
Instructor

The column lock has stuck open for the 2nd time on me. I have a 98 MN6. I belive it is an earlier prod model. After reading all of the above, i am confused. It appears the CLB might not work properly on my car. It seems that harness K does nothing for the MN6? What are my options? Can I unplug the column lock and just reset the DIC everytime I start the car? I have been driving with the service column lock for a week now. I will reset it, but it will probably lock open again in another month, or worse CLOSED. What is my option to make this as relaible as possible? I am pretty sure the dealer has not done the recal, since I am driving it with the service lock message.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:28 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by tnsyty
It seems that harness K does nothing for the MN6? What are my options? .
Not sure why you say the Harness K does nothing for the MN6. You can install the Harness K and leave the actuator unplugged as the originator of this thread did, or you can install the full kit, which is what I did, but involves removing the lock plate. I removed the lockplate and installed the Harness K on my 2004 Z06 and it works fine. The only reason to go ahead and remove the lockplate is so you can leave the actuator plugged in to keep it in the BCM circuit, but the relay keeps the BCM happy either way. Good luck
Old 04-08-2005, 10:38 AM
mfvetlady
6th Gear

Default Pull key and wait 10 seconds

Hello guys, new member here.

I need a "bottom line" opinion on the dreaded pull key message. I just bought a '98 Pace Car w/auto and it does that now and again. I turned off the easy access seat feature and it seems to have stopped.

Was this a programming fix by Chevy that I can go to my local dealer and get, or??? Recall issue? Should I expect to have to pay to fix?

I've read thru the latest conversation in the forum, but am having a hard time following, so an answer specific to my car would be great if antone can help.

Thanks a million!

BTW, just bought the car in New York, hopped in, and drove 1500 miles back home. Drives like a dream and really got some looks, especially at the Speedway in Indy.

Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:45 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Originally Posted by mfvetlady
Hello guys, new member here.

I need a "bottom line" opinion on the dreaded pull key message. I just bought a '98 Pace Car w/auto and it does that now and again. I turned off the easy access seat feature and it seems to have stopped.

Was this a programming fix by Chevy that I can go to my local dealer and get, or??? Recall issue? Should I expect to have to pay to fix?

I've read thru the latest conversation in the forum, but am having a hard time following, so an answer specific to my car would be great if antone can help.

Thanks a million!

BTW, just bought the car in New York, hopped in, and drove 1500 miles back home. Drives like a dream and really got some looks, especially at the Speedway in Indy.

Thanks again.
This smells like it might be related to your security system and the security pellet on your key. Try your alternate key next time it does this. BTW, does your steering wheel lock when you turn off your ignition and remove your key?
John
Old 04-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Lucky7's81
3rd Gear

Default k harness

I recently performed a recall 04006b on a 2000 a4 on 1/28/05. Which we all know is removing the lock plate and installing the relay harness. I was on vacation when the customer had it towwed back in and was receiveing a pull key and wait 10 secinds followed by service column lock message. This was on 4/6/05 and a fellow co worker was stumped by this. He couldn't find a problem, but threw a ecl in it and the message stopped. The same car came in today 4/18/05 with the pull key and wait 10s followed by service colum lock messsage. The owner had brought in some print outs of forum posts talking about this problem. I don't remember what thread it was, but it said that someone had their k harness fail and had the same problem. So I removed the k harness and plugged the factory connectors back together and the problem went away. Whenever a vehicle comes back with the same problem as before I have to call tech assist, so I called tech assist and told them that the k harness is bad. He asked if the relay was white and then read off the part# of the relay and said that they have been seeing a number of relay harness failures and that there is a new pip# that I don't have with me. I left it work. Anyways it says to take out the relay harness and plug the ecl back up to the vehicle. There is no fix for this at this time,and they will inform us when a fix is available. I'm friends with the guy and I feel bad he had to have it towwed in twice.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Bobbyg75
Instructor

Just installed the bypass and used this very informative post! Thanks! All works well!

Bobbyg
Old 04-19-2005, 11:32 PM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Yet another 98 A4 - had the column lock happen while the wife was out months ago - towed to dealer - they REPAIRED IT so it would still lock (I was out of town) & charged me. I worked with GM corporate, NTSB ... they finally added my vehicle to the recall list. I got reimbursed, and they did the correct column lock fix (removed plate and probably K cable?).

All was well many miles and several months (I drive this car - 83K miles now on it) - just today I was pulling out of a parking space - it died - got the REMOVE KEY - WAIT 10 SECONDS msg. Removed key, waited, reinserted and it worked again (didn't throw ANY codes). But I expect future problems (pessimist ) so came to the forum and read a lot of these posts - idea to try if it strands me .

I also wish I fully understood this msg, will check with my Helm manuals - add if find anything, and keep checking the forum. GOTTA LOVE the forum
Old 04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
eitspc5
Racer

Howdy fellas.

Quick question, took my 2000 a4 in yesterday for a replacement wheel hub..anyway, while there I was told they would be taking care of the Column lock recall. Ok, well I have a CLB that has worked so far. So, I pick it up today, and see that they corrected recall 4006 by installing "harness K," now my understanding from this post is that the 4006 recall was replaced by the 4006A and that they should have installed the whole kit including lock plate replacement? Should I take it back, is my assumption correct?

Thanks for any info.
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Old 04-20-2005, 12:01 AM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eitspc5
Howdy fellas.

Quick question, took my 2000 a4 in yesterday for a replacement wheel hub..anyway, while there I was told they would be taking care of the Column lock recall. Ok, well I have a CLB that has worked so far. So, I pick it up today, and see that they corrected recall 4006 by installing "harness K," now my understanding from this post is that the 4006 recall was replaced by the 4006A and that they should have installed the whole kit including lock plate replacement? Should I take it back, is my assumption correct?

Thanks for any info.
Rick
Rick,
I don't trust the dealers - maybe they dropped the 'A' on the recall # in the paperwork? Main thing is - Does your steering wheel still lock w/key removed? If it doesn't lock, then they did replace the plate (one with no holes I believe). If it does still lock - they didn't, and personally, I would take it back (when convenient) to have them do it right!
my $0.02, Steve
Old 04-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

I'm starting to feel that the recall is not fully debugged based on things I've been hearing from some of you not to mention that the GM bypass relays are possibly unreliable. Secondly, the dealer adds another big variable which is hard to monitor and verify correct implementation; did they remove the locking plate? put in the K harness? re-program the PCM? There's just too many things that can go wrong here in my opinion. Personally, I would rather put my trust in the aftermarket CLB and be done with it.
Regards,
John
Old 04-20-2005, 02:19 AM
eitspc5
Racer

Martinsw,
Thanks for the reply. Actually, the paperwork spells out that all that was done is "Replaced harness kit only" with a part desc of "harness K." My wheel does turn freely, but that may be becuase he left the CLB in place since I did not get it back from them. I will be calling in the morning, my service writer was gone when I picked up.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)