C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:17 PM
jvoc5
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
First suggestion is to come to this site for help FIRST and NOT to the Stealership. There is more knowledge about the C5 on this Forum than in all the GM Stealerships combined.

You could have saved that $700 and a lot more because that harness they installed is NOT a permanent fix. It WILL fail if/when your battery goes low.

Now onto the issue with the display where the exterior temp normally shows. Does anything display in that window? Is there something actually displaying but it is VERY dim???

If YES, then it is unlikely that the Stealership caused it. One of the MANY issues with the C5 is poor or cold solder joints on many of the electronics in the car.

Here is a link to a thread that shows a DIY repair of the cause of the problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...splay-fix.html

If you are not a DIY person but can manage to remove the part (not that difficult even for a non DIY person) you can send it off to one of the many companies that repair Corvette (and other brands) electronics . I would NOT let a Stealership get involved in the DIN display unless you have lots of spare money to give away.

You can search Ebay for companies or just Google "Corvette DIM Display repair" for all the info you will ever need.
Thanks for the information, I'll check things out when I return home. I bought the car new, and this year it seems to be one thing after another. T will definitely start with the forum prior to the dealer. Again thanks for your help.
jvoc5
Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome Thread! I just had the dreaded ""Service Steering Column Lock" Message on my DIC today. Lovely. 2002 Coupe M6. So my symptoms are similar but not consistent I'm just looking for a starting point.

- I do not get the "remove key for 10 seconds message".

- The car runs and drives fine, no steering lock and no 2 MPH limit. It was HP dyno tuned about three years ago, I'm wondering if the tuner changed that setting.

- I tried to clear the codes on the DIC using the normal process, however it seems to be "locked out" with the display showing "Service Steering Column Lock" I press and hold OPTIONS then Fuel 4 times (key on car off), and nothing happens. Odd.

Any thoughts on the first place to look or test?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

I'll try that when I get home. It's got a Optima Red Top in it now, that was in the car when I bought it, I'd say it's 5 or so years old. That may be the culprit. Although it does start and all the electronics run fine, but of course that's when it's running with the alternator covering the load.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

Thank you so much! I got home and pulled the Optima Red top, it had a build sticker of 1/12 on it so it was 5 1/2+ years old. I had a brand new 5XX series battery a neighbor gave me, never been used just a cheap **** wall mart side post battery. I tossed it on the charger at 10 amps, while I pulled the Optima out. Tossed the other battery in and all is well... No more "Service Steering Column" display. It did have quite a few codes in the DIC so I cleared those out as well. I'll pick up a new battery tomorrow and all should be well. Optimas are highly rated, but from some of my fast boating friends the Interstate batteries are just as good and cheaper. I'm on my second set of yellow tops in my boat in four years. I just did not want to go drop $200.00 on a new battery not knowing if that would fix the issue. Looks like it did. Thank you so much for the help!! Quick and easy fix.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

Interesting day - I took the Optima to Auto Zone (using it as a core) and while I was there I had them run a load test on it. Load test showed the battery was good but only 40% charged. I thought that a bit odd (alternator going bad was the first thing that came to mind). I brought it back home and put it on a 2/10/50 amp charger. Even at 10 amps it's only charging at 2. I'll let it charge for a few hours then take it back and have them run a load test again. I still think it's battery related (both of my yellow tops in my Baja experienced the same scenario and ended up replacing them). We shall see.

If your car uses a side post battery I would advise against anything but a glass mat (AGM) type of battery. Acid batteries have a tendency to leak and the PCM is directly below the battery location. Most likely the reason the previous battery replacer for the car went with the Optima.

Last edited by Hzuddy; 08-19-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:52 PM
WhiteKnuckleRide
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all,
another column lock victim here.

I too got the "remove key for 10s" warning, followed by "service steering column lock".
The steering wheel is locked, so no plate was installed,
But I do have records that the previous owner had at least one recall done.

I've read that the CLB can damage the PCM.
How about the LMC5?
So far the LMC5 seems the best solution, as long as it holds up over the years. Can anyone comment on this?
Another problem source could be the battery it seems -- I have yet to test that

I was about to tow and fix the car at a shop, which would rack up to about 900$. Not really a fan of that sum
Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Barry6547
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lmc5

Originally Posted by WhiteKnuckleRide
Hi all,
another column lock victim here.

I too got the "remove key for 10s" warning, followed by "service steering column lock".
The steering wheel is locked, so no plate was installed,
But I do have records that the previous owner had at least one recall done.

I've read that the CLB can damage the PCM.
How about the LMC5?
So far the LMC5 seems the best solution, as long as it holds up over the years. Can anyone comment on this?
Another problem source could be the battery it seems -- I have yet to test that

I was about to tow and fix the car at a shop, which would rack up to about 900$. Not really a fan of that sum

There are some really smart, seasoned folks on this site who will get you straightened out. My C5 already had the column lock problem fixed by the previous owner...so when I got the car the column would never lock...your issue seems to be different in that it is already locked up....It will be interested to see what the Forum experts share...sorry I could not be of help....

Last edited by Barry6547; 09-13-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: did not have the correct answer
Old 09-13-2017, 08:27 PM
WhiteKnuckleRide
Advanced

Originally Posted by Barry6547
There are some really smart, seasoned folks on this site who will get you straightened out. My C5 already had the column lock problem fixed by the previous owner...so when I got the car the column would never lock...your issue seems to be different in that it is already locked up....It will be interested to see what the Forum experts share...sorry I could not be of help....
Thank you Barry

I've read the LMC5 page, and they say it can be used on locked steering wheels with the "unlocker". Only thing I dont know is the longetivity of their fix and if it has the potential to damage anything else in the car, like the PCB.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 PM
WhiteKnuckleRide
Advanced

Oh, I'm sorry
It's a 2000 MT6 C5

Battery then, I'll start with measuring there then. Thank you.

//Edit:
Battery voltage was 12.43V with the negative terminal disconnected and 12.14V connected. Not perfect but I doubt this would cause it to act up?

Last edited by WhiteKnuckleRide; 09-13-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 AM
AndyTripleBlackVert
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Column lock within recall range but not covered by GM

Hello, I had a column lock problem at 61,000 miles on my 2000 C5. It was intermittent and I could shake the steering wheel, take the key out, wait the 10 sec, clear the error message on the display, and the car would start and do fine. Situation would come and go. I called my local GM dealer with my serial # and they said there was no recall on that VIN in their system, and would not accept this info thread or the GM recall # stated in this thread. Thanks, GM. So, I got the Corvettes of Houston column lock bypass. But, since the GM part failed first, the tech had to dismantle my steering column, file the pin down, and install the bypass part. Apparently there are two sets of directions, one if you haven't had it lock up yet you can just install the bypass, and that's the easy fix. But, if the error has already occurred, the steering column has to be opened to complete the fix, or else the column is locked permanently using the bypass alone. It works fine now but the concession was I lost the steering lock function. I'm fine with that. Mine is a 6-speed triple black with Hurst white cue ball shifter, mesh kit, Vortex ram air intake, Monster clutch and Tick Performance clutch gear, Borla exhaust and my license plate says I8A Vipr
Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 PM
Signal_20
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried the links to buy one of the bypass modules but no luck. Where is a good place to buy one of these now for a 2005? My other question is do you have to go to the dealer to see if the recall was done or are there other ways to see if the recall was done? By the way I have had no issues but the car only has 4700 miles on it.
Jim
Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 PM
Signal_20
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This question about a C6 is best asked in the C6 Forums. The column lock systems for the C6 are very different from that in a C5.

I know that the C5 column locking bypass devices do NOT work in a C6.

Sorry I was in the FAQ section and replied in the wrong place I'll go to the correct forum.
Jim
Old 01-27-2018, 04:32 PM
markviii
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cscokd
Your ECL is probably does not need to be replaced. Your BCM got out of sync and does not lock/unlock your ECL in this state but will only complain at you to "Service Column Lock" which you can erase with your RESET button on the DIC. You need to reset your BCM. Lift the cover in the passenger footwell and remove the Instrument Fuse Panel cover (thumb screw). Referring to the map on the underside of the cover locate fuse 25 and remove it, wait 15 seconds and re-insert it. If this does not fix it, post me and we'll troubleshoot it. Good Luck.
John
Nothing like finding a 13-year old post to fix my car today, in 2018. This no cost fix worked for my 2002 MN6.

2002 Mag Red, MN6 owned since 2005.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Jeremiah Pasternak
Cruising

Default Column Lock Error with Engine Shutoff

I have a 99 FRC which I’ve owned since 2000. A few weeks ago I had to have the car jumped by AAA, at which time I drove around without issue but decided that I needed a new battery. When I installed the new battery and started the car up I’m getting a ‘steering column lock’ error. The column isn’t actually locked, but the error is causing the engine to automatically stall out as soon as you get going more than a mile or two. It’s pretty annoying and is obviously a computer issue. I’m curious if there’s an ‘easy’ solution (one which doesn’t require installing / removing anything), and if not what is the easiest / quickest and most affordable solution.
also, i’m fairly certain that the recall was taken care of for my car in the early 2000s, if this matters.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM
WhiteKnuckleRide
Advanced

Try this: http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5description.html

Perhaps most importantly, the LMC5 can be installed even if the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK, or PULL KEY, WAIT 10 SECONDS messages are displayed, the fuel shuts off at 2 MPH, or the steering wheel is currently locked! If the steering wheel locks, simply follow the unlock procedure available with the separate LMC5 Unlocker.
I have it and have no issues at all now.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:05 PM
Jeremiah Pasternak
Cruising

So, I got my lmc5 kit today. I feel like I followed the directions to a T with the exception of not unhooking the relay (because there were 3 units where there should have been 2 and all were the wrong color and based on the directions this seemed more a recomdation than a necessity). it took a good hour plus (unless your 5 ft tall these are pretty hard to get to) and when I turned the key, ‘wait 10 seconds...’ ah, NO! I went back and did the brown wire thingy, turned the key and....NO! I went back and looked through the 3 relays (pictured) and after removing some tape determined that one had the right color wires, so I unhooked that and turned the key...and still nothing. Outside of the directions the only thing that I can think of is the passenger fuse 23, which is missing (i’m guessing I removed it last week and misplaced it). Do i need this fuse in? Could this one little thing be causing the error to still show up? Could one of the wires have gone in the wrong pay?
I’m not going to sugarcoat it, i’m not technically / mechanically inclined so if there may be a way to troubleshoot, feel free to dumb it down 😉
Old 03-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Sustain26
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not alone, Jeremiah. I did not understand the instructions and did not cut the brown wire; still getting the 10 sec. message.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have HPTuners. Can I disable it in the tune?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:15 AM
Camron Stewart
1st Gear

Default 02 z06 vette

[QUOTE=Cscokd;1549772394]This is an attempt to compile all the Column Lock Information into one place. If there are errors, please contact me so I can make corrections. With all the recalls, there is a lot of confusion, questions, anxiety, and threads. Hopefully this will be helpful to our forum readers.
  • GM installed a Steering Column Lock mechanism on all 1997 - 2004 manual (MN6) cars and on 1997 to 2000 automatic (A4) cars
  • There is a GM recall for this problem on affected models and years
  • It is one of the most problematic issues that we C5 owners deal with
  • It can happen to you if you have a pre-2001 A4 without the recall or CLB installed OR any year MN6 or Z06 car without a CLB installed. Age or mileage makes no difference.
  • Low battery voltage seems to aggravate and sometimes cause column lock failures

Q What is the symptom of failure?
A Your steering wheel will not unlock and the DIC will display an error message "Service Steering Column Lock". Your owner's manual will instruct you to have your vehicle towed to the nearest GM dealer for repair.

Q What exactly causes this failure?
A When you insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the ON position, the BCM (Body Control Module) sends a command to your Column Lock Motor to "unlock" and then checks a status line to ensure that the steering column is unlocked. If it gets the wrong status, it will display an error message as mentioned above. It can be caused by ECL (Electronic Column Lock) mechanism failure and occasionally by low battery voltage, which sometimes confuses the BCM.

Q Can anything be done to unlock the steering column once it has locked up?
A Sometimes; turn the ignition OFF and REMOVE the key. Shock your lock motor actuator assembly by jerking the steering wheel against the stops. Re-insert your key and try again. Also, if your battery voltage is low, charge your battery or replace it.

Q If my battery is discharged and I jump it to get the engine started, the alternator is now charging shouldn't the column unlock?
A NO; The whole unlock sequence occurs before you ever turn your key to start your engine. If the battery is too low, you will probably have trouble with your column lock. Several folks have replaced their battery and the column lock problem has never occurred since.

Q Does this problem affect both A4’s and MN6 vehicles?
A Yes; however if you have 2001 or newer A4 car, the ECL lock plate has been replaced.

Q What years are affected?
A Pre-2001 A4 cars and all MN6 or MN12(Z06) cars.

Q Is there any solution for this problem?
A Yes; have the recall done if you have an A4 car or install a Column Lock Bypass (CLB) on MN6 & MN12 cars BEFORE the problem occurs. Once it fails, you may not be able to fix it without GM repair.

Q Where can I purchase a CLB?
A They are available from several of our forum vendors such as:
Thunder Racing and Corvettes of Houston

Q How much does a CLB cost?
A Typically about $49.95.

Q Is a CLB difficult to install?
A No; very simple (less than an hour) by following instructions. See this link for help: http://97vette.com/howto/columnlock/index.html

Q Can I build my own?
A Yes; if you have soldering skills and $20 in parts, you can build your own in about 1 hour. See this link for info: http://shelor.net/Z/CorvetteForum/Cscokd/

Q Are there other alternatives?
A Yes; there is a GM "Harness K" GM part no. 89023816 (was 88952427), which GM installs as part of its recall; it costs ~ $85.50.

This harness is installed leaving the Column Lock Motor active. However the Lock Plate inside the steering column must be removed or replaced. If installing on a MN6/M12, do NOT connect up the column lock motor harness side (C207 female receptacle).

Q What exactly does the GM recall do?
A The following details were provided by forum member "TopCat" and should prove very helpful:

If your car has NOT been previously serviced under Customer Satisfaction Campaign 01044 or TSB 01-02-35-008, the GM recall outlines a 3-step process:
  1. Installation of wire/relay kit under the passenger footwell
  2. Re-program your PCM
  3. Jack up your front-end with your wheels off the ground to do a functional test with the Tech 2. If any scraping, clicking, etc. is "heard" or felt by the service technician during the functional test, then the locking plate, retaining ring, and nut are supposed to be replaced.
  4. If a CLB or a Harness K is found during this process (the recall specifically mentions this), it is supposed to be removed.

Here's a very informative link that describes the actual GM service instructions including electrical diagrams:

Chevy Dealer Service Bulletin

For MN6 & MN12 cars only:

Reprogram Only

1998 built through 5/25/98
Reprogram Only

1998 built on or after 5/28/98 (CSC 01044 was performed)
Reprogram Only

1998 built on or after 5/28/98 (CSC 01044 was not performed)
Install wire kit (part#88952428) and reprogram

1999-2000 and CSC 01044 or TSC 01--02-36-008 was performed
Reprogram Only

1999-2000 and CSC 01044 or TSC 01--02-36-008 was not performed
Install wire kit (part#88952428) and reprogram

2001-2004
Reprogram Only

For A4 cars only:

1997-2000 A4's
Install wire kit (Harness K), remove and discard lock plate, install the "cam orientation plate" where the lock plate previously resided. No PCM flash required.

2001-2004 A4's
No Change Required - they didn't install the Electric Column Lock (ECL) on those years, in the U.S., after experiencing so many problems.

Q I have an A4 car; what should I do if I get a recall notice from GM?
A This is a personal decision. My advice is to have the recall implemented. They will service your car per the above recall discussion. After the recall is implemented on A4's, you should be able to turn your steering wheel with the key removed. The only anti-theft mechanism now will be your A4 transmission will remain locked until the key is ON.

Q I have a MN6/M12 car, what will the recall do?
A IF you have a MN6/M12 car, the recall does NOT disable your column lock motor. It simply re-programs your PCM to guarantee your fuel is shut off at speeds above 2 mph so you cannot drive your car with the steering column locked. The column lock failure can still occur at any time and you will most likely be stranded somewhere needing to be towed to the nearest dealer for repair when it occurs.

Q If I have a MN6/M12 car, what should I do?
A Again this is a personal decision. Advice is to install a CLB and ignore the recall. It does nothing to prevent the problem from occurring.

Q If I have a MN6/M12 car, will the GM recall re-program my PCM and affect my tuning?
A Yes; See description of recall instruction above. There are several horror stories related to this. Most folks with tunes do NOT allow the recall to be implemented.

Q Exactly how does the steering column lock mechanism work?
A The steering column lock unit consists of a 12VDC motor, a worm drive gear, a locking pin, and a micro switch which is activated by the lock pin screwing down thru a lock plate with holes or slots in it to lock your steering column.

Q Can the steering lock up while driving my car?
A There have been a few rumors of this. The only way this is possible is if the BCM should fail sending a "lock" command to your lock motor. There are some fears that the lock motor can partially retract but not all the way so that the lock pin could engage the locking plate later while driving. This is highly unlikely due to the mechanical micro-switch, which detects when the lock pin is completely retracted before sending the "unlock" signal back to the BCM.

The worm gear on the motor turns a gear on a threaded shaft that "jacks" the pin assembly in the direction determined by the motor. link was lost

The second picture shows the pin/jack assembly, laid out
link was lost
Finally, the last photo shows the micro-switch that is either opened or closed by the body of the pin assembly:
link was lost

Q If I install a CLB, can the steering column lock up accidentally from vibration or shock?
A Highly unlikely; the lock pin is driven by a worm gear drive on the motor which can not move without the motor turning as well.

Q What exactly does the CLB consist of?
A A small module that plugs (in place of your Column Lock Motor) into C207 (male pin side) consisting of a 4-wire harness to your BCM. The CLB consists of a 12VDC-latching relay. Connections are:
  • Purple wire: from BCM = UNLOCK
    • Orange Wire: from BCM = LOCK
      • Black Wire: Ground
        • Green Wire: to BCM = OPEN is locked; CLOSED (grounded) is unlocked. This status line is pulled up to +12V thru a resistor inside the BCM module.

Q I still get the "Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds" message and "Service Steering Column Lock" message? What do I do now?

A1 Sometimes the latching relay in the CLB can get out of sync sending the wrong status to your BCM. This has happened to a few folks even with the CLB installed. The CLB latching relay gets out of sync with the BCM possibly due to shock, vibration or relay contact bounce during switching which confused the BCM. The CLB does not physically know which state it should be in; it only switches from one state to the other when it receives a signal from the BCM. The BCM can be reset by pulling Fuse 23 and waiting 10 seconds.

A2 Check to make sure Fuse 25 in passenger footwell is good.

A3 Verify the black wire to your ECL or CLB is grounded (zero ohms resistance).

A5 Verify the green wire to the ECL or CLB is shorted to ground while in the "UNLOCKED" position and pulled up to +12Vdc while in the "LOCKED" position.

A6 If you get the "Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds" message but no "Service Column Lock" message, it can sometimes be a symptom of your security system and related to your key pellet.

Q What can happen then if my CLB gets out of sync?
A Your DIC will display "Service Steering Column Lock" error message; your steering wheel will not be locked; if you own a 1997-2000 C5 that has not had the recall implemented; you should be able to drive your car normally. You must reset your DIC each time you start your car if you are annoyed with the error message. IF you have a newer C5 (2001-2004) OR you've had the recall implemented, you will NOT be able to drive your car because the fuel will be shut off at speeds above 2 mph.

Q When I purchase the CLB, what is the extra harness with the cigarette lighter plug used for?
A This is simply to help you unlock your steering column with the ignition key removed. It is used one-time only just before you install your CLB. It connects +12V to the purple wire on the Column Lock Motor to unlock your steering column. Another method is to turn on your ignition key, verify that your steering wheel is unlocked, then disconnect the wire harness to your lock motor. You will need to reset your BCM after doing this to clear the error that this will create.

Q I had the recall done and now after a few weeks my car is getting the dreaded “Service Column Lock” error message and I can’t drive it because the fuel is shut off. What should I do?
A You have the following choices: 1) return to the dealer and make them fix it; 2) A4 cars - replace or remove the Harness "K" assembly; 3) remove the recall mods and restore to original; 4)MN6/M12 cars only - go into your passenger footwell, locate the relay added by the recall mod, remove the relay altogether and bypass the circuit as described below (my choice).

Q What happens when I install an aftermarket CLB and it doesn’t work?
A You probably have the GM recall mod (mentioned above) installed on your car already. This could happen by GM installing the mod at the factory, or the recall mod was already completed by you or a previous owner.

Q How can I tell if I’ve had the recall mod?
A1 If you have an A4 car, can you turn your steering wheel freely while the ignition key is removed? If so, you probably DO have the recall mod.
A2 For all cars, you can inspect your wiring by removing your knee bolster under the driver's side. Inspect your column lock harness. If the four wires in your ECL harness are Orange, Purple, Green, Black on both sides of the connector, then you DO NOT have the recall mod installed. If you have White, Purple, Green, Black on either side of the connector, then you DO have the recall mod.

Q Why is there sometimes a conflict between the recall mod and my CLB?
A For MN6 and M12 cars, the recall mod added a second relay (different from the Harness K which is the GM version of the CLB) between your BCM and your ECL in series with the orange (LOCK) wire. This is to safeguard against a spurious glitch from ever locking your ECL while you are driving (clearly GM is paranoid now). The problem is that this second relay is causing a timing glitch, which resets your CLB immediately after it switches states. The reason it works with your stock ECL is because your ECL motor (being mechanical and slow compared to solid-state logic), is immune to these timing glitches whereas the latching relay inside your CLB sees these glitches and reacts to them.

Q For MN6/M12 cars what can I do if this situation occurs?
A Go into your passenger footwell. Remove your BCM and locate the recall mod relay, remove it and add a jumper wire between the white wire (pin 30) and the orange wire (pin 87). Note that there are two orange wires, so make sure you get the right one!

Q Can CLB modules fail?
A Yes; we have occasionally heard of a CLB failure.

Q If my CLB fails, will it damage my BCM?
A Possibly, but extremely doubtful; there have been some claims of this happening, however after personally researching it now for the last year and talking with many forum members, I have yet to see where a BCM actually experienced electrical damage. GM put fuses into their designs to protect the BCM from short circuits and failures.

Please send me comments.

so I tried some of your column lock options and unfortunately none have worked. Is there anyway you could give me a hand?
The following users liked this post:
ArrestMeRed (05-30-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 PM
gazskiman1
7th Gear

Default Question about column lock FAQ

In the Column Lock FAQ its indicated that if you install a CLB and it doesn't work it can either be due to it being out of Sync or the GM recall has already been performed. So my question is what do you have to do to fix the issue if you install the CLB and it doesn't work in both cases? I know some info is provided, but I know I would greatly appreciate it if some instructions could be provided that someone with limited understanding of things like BCM, relays and locking plate could understand. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)