C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soot on start-up caused me a heart attack!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 01:05 AM
patmo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soot on start-up caused me a heart attack!

I recently had a head, headers, and cam change and had an oil leak, which I found later to be from a misaligned drain gasket,Thank God. Today I drove it to the dealer for an oil change and to trouble shoot the oil leak, but when I started it up the tailpipes started spiting what I thought was more oil. I thought OH MY GOD, it is leaking into the cylinder. I then calmed myself and remembered a post not too long ago about if oil gets into the cylinder it will be burned and the engine will start smoking. While I was waiting for them to find the leak, I pulled out my laptop and went here to do a search about oil coming from the tailpipes. I found a post about the condesation and carbon mixture that happens on start-up. I have a much free-er flowing exhaust now so I would bet this made even more come out of the tailpipes. I went back and checked it later and it is not oilly in the pipes at all. The oil leak was fixed according to the dealer but when I got home and put papers under the car I still had about a teaspoon of oil leak on it. Could that still be from what was all over the engine before or do think I still have a oil leak. I plan on starting her tommorrow and seeing if she still leaks but until then I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Soot on start-up caused me a heart attack!