C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any downside to the CAGS skip shift eliminator???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Mr.Z-06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any downside to the CAGS skip shift eliminator???

Have a new Z06 and I'm wondering if there is any downside to the CAGS eliminator. Will it allow a shift to Reverse while moving forward? I've heard that it has allowed 5th to 2nd shifts for people not familiar with the tranny (hence strained or blown motors). I"ll be driving the car 99.9% of the time, but it's that .1% that scares me - that's when trouble could occur.

Any help - much appreciated!

Have I mentioned that this car is a monster??!!

-Mr.Z-06
Old 05-05-2005, 11:25 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The only thing you will miss us the aggravation. If you drive in traffic this is a must.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 AM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Z-06
Have a new Z06 and I'm wondering if there is any downside to the CAGS eliminator. Will it allow a shift to Reverse while moving forward? I've heard that it has allowed 5th to 2nd shifts for people not familiar with the tranny (hence strained or blown motors).

-Mr.Z-06
OK, some of your facts are wrong.

The reverse lockout prevents shifting into reverse when you are in excess of 3 mph. It is possible to bend this little "gate" that could permit you to shift into reverse in excess of 3 mph which could possibly trash your tranny.

There is nothing in the tranny that will prevent you from shifting from 5th to 2nd. There is a centering spring that's part of the shifter mechanism that centers the shifter into the center of the shift pattern (between 3rd and 4th gear). If you have poor shift technique, you can miss the gear you want and could result in an overspeed condition in the tranny and, I guess possibly, in the engine as well.

The CAGS eliminator simply removes the annoying requirement to shift from 1st into 4th gear in speeds between approximately 16 - 20 mph within a specific RPM band. You quite literally upplug the sensor from the tranny and put a weathercap on the sensor to preclude any type of false readings by the PCM. It's a very simple install -- much easier if you have small arms though. It can be tough for some of us big guys to get our arms into the tranny well to tie off the sensor.

You will still get the "1 to 4 Shift" lift on your instrument guage but you will no longer have to actually shift into 4th because of it.

HTH.

Last edited by ArmyVette; 05-05-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Will it allow a shift to Reverse while moving forward? I've heard that it has allowed 5th to 2nd shifts for people not familiar with the tranny (hence strained or blown motors).
-Mr.Z-06

The reverse lockout is a separate solenoid from the skip shift solenoid.

I don't think the skip shift solenoid has anything to do with being able to shift into second from 5th.
Even with the solenoid engaged, once you shift into any other gear, you can then go back to second if you want to.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:59 PM
landho
Racer

the skip shift's only purpose in life is to force you to shift from 1 to 4 and aggravate you. It was "invented" for the EPA test. It does not alter any down shift actions...If you pull hard enough, you can still downshift from 5 to 2. best 30 bucks I've spent...I don't miss a thing about the 1-4 shift.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Mr.Z-06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks everyone...

If there's no downside, the skipshift is TOAST!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The best mod I have done. I did it on my 97Z-28 also. The reverse lock out is a different part. I had to have my reverse lock out selonoide replaced so I know they are 2 different items. Absolutely NO downside.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Any downside to the CAGS skip shift eliminator???
Yes, the wasted $$ that you spent to purchase it....
Old 05-06-2005, 09:16 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyVette
OK, some of your facts are wrong.

The reverse lockout prevents shifting into reverse when you are in excess of 3 mph. It is possible to bend this little "gate" that could permit you to shift into reverse in excess of 3 mph which could possibly trash your tranny.

There is nothing in the tranny that will prevent you from shifting from 5th to 2nd. There is a centering spring that's part of the shifter mechanism that centers the shifter into the center of the shift pattern (between 3rd and 4th gear). If you have poor shift technique, you can miss the gear you want and could result in an overspeed condition in the tranny and, I guess possibly, in the engine as well.

The CAGS eliminator simply removes the annoying requirement to shift from 1st into 4th gear in speeds between approximately 16 - 20 mph within a specific RPM band. You quite literally upplug the sensor from the tranny and put a weathercap on the sensor to preclude any type of false readings by the PCM. It's a very simple install -- much easier if you have small arms though. It can be tough for some of us big guys to get our arms into the tranny well to tie off the sensor.

You will still get the "1 to 4 Shift" lift on your instrument guage but you will no longer have to actually shift into 4th because of it.

HTH.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:29 AM
pburant
Burning Brakes

Also, the CAGS does not force you to shift from first to fourth.

All it does is prevent you from shifting directly to second from first under the right conditions.

With CAGS engaged, you can shift to third gear.

CAGS will also disengage as long as you move the shifter to any available gear besides first - the clutch does not have to be engaged.

CAGS will also disengage if you apply more throttle or back off completely.

All of this adds up to a major annoyance which is why a CAGS eliminator was installed in my car within a week of buying it.

Also note that you can build your own CAGS eliminator. There is a forum tech tip covering this. I recently had to repair mine - the resistor had either gone bad, or more likely, wasn't soldered very well.

One other note - the CAGS eliminator doesn't actually eliminate CAGS. Unplugging the solenoid is what eliminates CAGS - the CAGS eliminator merely prevents your car from throwing codes (and illuminating the check engine light) while the solenoid is unplugged.

-Pete
Old 05-06-2005, 09:31 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Yes, the wasted $$ that you spent to purchase it....
I'll second that emotion.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My tuner programmed it out during my dyno tune. No light either.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:55 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude

I'll triple it.

If you drive your car for more than a week before wasting your money, you'll find that you can defeat it in a number of ways. It's just the computer trying to tell you that you're driving like an old lady.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
C54DAZ
Instructor

Radio shack resistors are 99 cents four 6 hows this a waste of your money?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:45 AM
vetred
Drifting

Actually, I imagine some "MASOCHISTS" are realy dissapointed that the cags relay switch works at all
Old 05-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Ginzo
Racer

Originally Posted by vetdude
I'll third it.
Very simple to just give it alittle more gas and drive thru 19 mph and then shift to 2nd.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:39 PM
davey1
Advanced

money well spent

Get notified of new replies

To Any downside to the CAGS skip shift eliminator???

Old 05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Perry Mason
Burning Brakes

The way I drive, my CAGS very rarely engages. When it does, however, it is an annoyance. I can imagine that it could be a safety problem in some situations.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Bill C
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davey1
money well spent

Old 05-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default skip shift eliminating is a must

Normal cars shift 1-2-3-4-5-6
Having to shift from 1-4 is REtarded
You shouldn't have to learn to try and shift around the skip shift--you should be able to shift whenever you feel like it into whatever gear you want to...

Quick Reply: Any downside to the CAGS skip shift eliminator???