C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed CLB but still got the pull key, wait 10 sec message

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
URNDWAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed CLB but still got the pull key, wait 10 sec message

Is this normal? I thought once you installed the CLB you should never see this message again.

BTW, I pulled the key and waited 10 secs then started the car and drove off without a problem..but I was scared the entire time.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

I haven't heard about the CLB failing, especially new out of the box. Someone else can correct me on this, but with the CLB properly installed, I didn't think it was possible for the message to even pop up???

Perhaps you got the lemon bypass? I would try retracing the install to make sure it's all done correctly. Let us know what the issue was. Would be interesting to know for sure.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

This is not normal because the car believes that the CL is working correctly with the CLB installed.

Can you move the steering wheel freely from left to right when the car is off? If you cannot then the CLB is not working properly. If you can then I am not sure what it is.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:29 PM
bsmith
Team Owner

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I was having that problem until I pulled the fuse in the passenger side footwell and reset the BCM.
I cant remember the fuse # though...

I am sure someone will check in soon with that.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:33 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup.. you have to reset the bcm. the correct fuse and procedure should be in the instructions.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 PM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

It is #25. Maybe the vats system is the problem. Good luck. Jimmy
Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Bakersfield
Drifting

This happened to me 3 months ago. I got that "remove key - wait 10 seconds" I bought a CLB and it didn't resolve the problem. I found out that a CLB will not fix this problem in all cars. I was fortunate, I got my money back on the CLB, minus a restocking fee, but that was better than loosing it all. Anyway, mine is a 98 coupe with 9,000 miles, and it had a factory recall on it to fix that problem. Took it down to my chevy dealer and their records showed that it had already been done. I told them the other shop must have faked the repair because the column still locked. So, they looked at it and found it had not been done. They did the recall, and installed a GM Harness K module and I have not had any problems with mine since. Here is the link explaining what all happened with mine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...8&page=1&pp=20

Good luck,
Dwayne
Old 06-07-2005, 01:47 PM
URNDWAY
Instructor

Install was performed properly. I know this to be true since I installed it once and then took it back apart the second time just to make sure.

Steering wheel never locked up during the entire time. I was just scared as ever though when I saw that message.

The instructions I got did not mention pulling a fuse. I guess I'll go do that now. Someone pray for me, I've already been stuck once because of column lock.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
bsmith
Team Owner

my instructions never said anything about pulling the fuse, I learned that here.

did you lock the wheel during the install of the CLB?

there are some compatibility problems with very ealry C5's... that being said, it was just fine on my '97 after resetting the BCM.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
UT-Driven
Racer

Is your car a '97 or '98? I thought I read somewhere that this was more common with the first 2 years of the C5 generation.

UT-Driven
Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 PM
URNDWAY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bakersfield
This happened to me 3 months ago. I got that "remove key - wait 10 seconds" I bought a CLB and it didn't resolve the problem. I found out that a CLB will not fix this problem in all cars. I was fortunate, I got my money back on the CLB, minus a restocking fee, but that was better than loosing it all. Anyway, mine is a 98 coupe with 9,000 miles, and it had a factory recall on it to fix that problem. Took it down to my chevy dealer and their records showed that it had already been done. I told them the other shop must have faked the repair because the column still locked. So, they looked at it and found it had not been done. They did the recall, and installed a GM Harness K module and I have not had any problems with mine since. Here is the link explaining what all happened with mine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...8&page=1&pp=20

Good luck,
Dwayne
I have a 2k car and I know the recall has been performed because as soon as I let out the clutch after getting the message the car died which is exactly what it is supposed to do on a manual car.

All I can do now is hope the fuse pull thing works I guess.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Bakersfield
Drifting

URNDWAY, I just notice you are in Washington DC. Dude, I got my car from a guy in Baltimore...... wonder if you two used the same dealer? This is weird,
Old 06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
OC1Dave
Instructor

One other thing to check is your ignition key. Be sure the "chip" is clean and firmly atttached to the key. When I bought my 99 it had a history of "pull key...." with several unsuccessful visits to the dealer. After I installed the CLB, reset the BCM by pulling the fuse, I, like you, still got a "pull key..." on occasion which would usually reset, and the car would start after waiting the 10 seconds.. I got to looking at my key and the chip was loose, so I started using one of my spare keys, and (knock on wood!!) have not had another message since - almost two years. Somewhere I read, probably on this message board, that carrying a whole pile of keys and junk on your key chain can "load" the ignition key and cause damage/trouble. Good luck, and lets hope the engineer that designed the C5 column lock has been fired and is now working for Toyota!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:08 PM
URNDWAY
Instructor

Originally Posted by joghotrod
It is #25. Maybe the vats system is the problem. Good luck. Jimmy
I just check the fuse relay center under the hood and I dont have a fuse #25 or #26. So which fuse is it?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:09 PM
URNDWAY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bakersfield
URNDWAY, I just notice you are in Washington DC. Dude, I got my car from a guy in Baltimore...... wonder if you two used the same dealer? This is weird,
I guess GM doesn't like the DC area
Old 06-07-2005, 02:14 PM
vettenovice
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by URNDWAY
I guess GM doesn't like the DC area
Please keep this thread going. I am on the brink of installing a CLB on my 2000. I will definately wait until the outcome of your saga is known.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:15 PM
vettenovice
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Installed CLB but still got the pull key, wait 10 sec message

Old 06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
bsmith
Team Owner

I just check the fuse relay center under the hood and I dont have a fuse #25 or #26. So which fuse is it?
it is in the passenger side footwell under the floor mat.

when you are done, and you put the lid back on the panel...

The word "FUSE PANEL" is upside down, that seems to trip up quite a few people.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:27 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Is this normal? I thought once you installed the CLB you should never see this message again.

BTW, I pulled the key and waited 10 secs then started the car and drove off without a problem..but I was scared the entire time.

Read the sticky note at the top of the C5 TECH section.

Since your car is a 2000 model, you should not be getting the error messages like some of the '97 and '98 models get with the aftermarket bypass.

The GM Harness K kit should work no matter what year your car is. I suggest you order the GM harness K kit and install it as "TorchRedRaider" did. Since your car is a manual transmission, the recall did not include installing the Harness K relay harness.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=column+lock

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 06-07-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:29 PM
TorchRedRaider
Racer

Some 97 and 98 have an issue with the aftermarket CLB's.
I documented this and the fix quite some time ago.
Please read
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=881814

Please note, I have read that there has been a change in the Harness K part and one or two forum members may have had it fail too.

Quick Reply: Installed CLB but still got the pull key, wait 10 sec message