C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air - Myth or Truth?

Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SideStep
I will tell you from first hand experience that a Vararam will push your LTFTs postive (lean). I have more than a hundred hours of logs proving it. Air is hitting the MAF wire set in a way that it was not designed to. Along with the LTFTs the final WOT (PE) AFRs will read leaner also... Maybe this is where the power is coming from... OR a combination of cooler air and the leaner condition. I am assuming most owners just put the Vararam on and do not retune after the install, living with a lean (not too bad) state of tune and not knowing it... I did retune mine.

The Vararam will screw with your MAF calibration! I would like to try a BlackWing and see if I can hit the same rwhp and have a MAF calibration table that is closer to stock OR at least more predictable in a linear fashion when compared with the Vararam...

I concur and have seen exactly what you are talking about.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-05-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SideStep
Hmmm.. Look at my post above (#12)... that is my guess on why it (Vararam) delivers the performance levels it does. I would still like to try a BlackWing. If I could get a more predictable MAF calibration and the same rwhp I would be all over it...
SideStep your post does make sense as to why there may be more power. But what causes these conditions to occur? Do you think it is because the air is forced over the MAF at higher speeds/pressure.

Originally Posted by nuke
Personally, I think that the Vararam simply has fewer losses due to the air being at a slightly higher pressure than if it were simply an open element air filter; Zip-Tie, for instance. The Vararam pressure isn't enough to cause any ram effect, but enough to overcome losses that other intakes cannot.
Nuke I agree with you hypothesis. I have stated similar opinions in past threads. I believe the air being forced through the intake system, (ram air) reduces parasitic HP losses associated with the engines intake process.

Also 300 I do not think you maliciously planned to post from other's work. But usually in the forum when one does this they will either credit the article or even better post a link. To me it is not a big deal but in the future you may want to do this to avoid any confusion.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 AM
gmosley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default intake temp

whether or not this is completely accurate or not i was driving while monitoring live data using my predator this is what i observed

first off i do you have a vararam
outside temp according to ac unit was 94
intake temp according to predator was 87 (regardless of speed) ex at 25 mph it was 87 at 125 mph it was still 87 at idle not moving it was 91
so a little food for thought on the vararam
dont get me wrong by no means is the 7 degree difference of intake temp astounding (or completely accurate) but something to think about as opposed to other intake systems
wish i had the predator while i had the stock intake system on so i would have better numbers to compare nonetheless vararam does work better how much unable to say but it does in fact work
Old 07-05-2005, 11:20 AM
300bhp/ton
Advanced

Originally Posted by shurite44
SideStep your post does make sense as to why there may be more power. But what causes these conditions to occur? Do you think it is because the air is forced over the MAF at higher speeds/pressure.
This may well explain some of the issues, although this effect could not be accuratley regarded as 'Ram Air' as an engine running on carburettors will not have a Mass Air Flow sensor.

Also 300 I do not think you maliciously planned to post from other's work. But usually in the forum when one does this they will either credit the article or even better post a link. To me it is not a big deal but in the future you may want to do this to avoid any confusion.
Noted, but the information is not from one source and I edited it. So I guess you could say this is my cover version of the originals.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:23 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I offered several reason's. All of the feasable. But as I stated without further data there is no way of knowing for sure.

Why attempt to hold yourself out as some sort of "ram air" expert by representing the words of others as your own?

Whats the idea behind stealing someone else's words and posting them as your own????

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=plagiarism

plagiarism

n 1: a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work 2: the act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own [syn: plagiarization, plagiarisation, piracy]

Thats my biggest beef. You come in here and start this thread speaking as though you are quoting the results of your own research from Cambridge, and we find out that all you have done is cut and pasted someone elses articles. In one case in its entirety.

If you have nothing positive to contribute then maybe it would be bette not to contribute at all. If on the other hand you have either read or by means of your own knowledge information that is of use please post it so that we can all aid from it. Thank you.
I understand that you just got here, but many of the people in this thread and on this board are familiar with my own findings and "contribution" of those findings with regard to the Vararam.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...p?p=1550439467

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1078518

No plagiarism, and results consistent with what most others have seen. Ram air or not.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-05-2005 at 12:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ElisTwoCents (11-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2005, 11:32 AM
300bhp/ton
Advanced

Originally Posted by EB20003
Why attempt to hold yourself out as some sort of "ram air" expert by representing the words of others as your own.
I am not claiming to be an expert I'm mearly passing on my findings. If you are finding that too hard to understand then I apologise.

As far as other people's work. Well as a rule this is how we learn, do you really beleive that all the the research and experiments where only every carry out by one person?

No, they learn to by gaining knowledge and reading what others write. As all of this information is posted in a public domain on the internet without any form of restricted access it is perfectly legitimate to read it and pass it on to others.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:39 AM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

It is the MAF calibration, specifically the "MAF Airflow vs. Frequency" table in the PCM. The MAF is calibrated at the factory for the factory air box and the way it "shapes" the flow of air... Needless to say a Vararam throws all that out the window... and drives the LTFTs lean and the WOT AFRs lean... All of this can be compensated for with tuning it is just more difficult. Your factory air-box produces a more linear, even acceleration of air across the wire set in the MAF. On a related note; airflow does become more accurate (as far as calibrating the MAF goes) at higher rpm levels...

Somebody let me borrow a BlackWing ...I got things to prove....

Last edited by SideStep; 07-05-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:41 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

This may well explain some of the issues, although this effect could not be accuratley regarded as 'Ram Air' as an engine running on carburettors will not have a Mass Air Flow sensor.

Noted, but the information is not from one source and I edited it. So I guess you could say this is my cover version of the originals.
Yea I figured you were cutting a pasting things to support you hypothesis. Like I said no big deal to me. But I know I love to go read the actual articles so I like it when people post links.

I would love to see someone run back to back qtr mile's with a vararam with the filter in place and with the filter removed, and with the K&N filter in place, trying to eliminate as best they can other variables. EB20003 ran with a blackwing and then a vararam and has posted those results. Although the blackwing is not really a CAI. Now Tracy's racing ran a bottom breather and vararam and did post results, it favored the vararam slightly.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:42 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I am not claiming to be an expert I'm mearly passing on my findings. If you are finding that too hard to understand then I apologise.

As far as other people's work. Well as a rule this is how we learn, do you really beleive that all the the research and experiments where only every carry out by one person?
Like I said, I realize that you just got here. But having a background in research and having published articles of my own, I find your above statement almost laughable.

You copied that guy's article without even so much as quote mark. And then held it out as your own, and then to top it off, "accepted thanks" for having written it. All in an effort to make yourself look knowledgable. Thats tacky.

The body of knowledge on ram air and it's existence, or lack thereof is significant. However, I said it once and I will say it again. That was not your work and you should have made every effort to let us know where you got it from instead of representing it as your own in an obvious attempt to give the impression that you are more qualified to give an opinion on ram air than anyone else here.

No, they learn to by gaining knowledge and reading what others write. As all of this information is posted in a public domain on the internet without any form of restricted access it is perfectly legitimate to read it and pass it on to others.
Then give those others credit for what they wrote. You are referencing, no copying it verbatim in an effort to make yourself look "scholarly."

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-05-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Like I said, I realize that you just got here. But having a background in research and having published articles of my own, I find your above statement almost laughable.

You copied that guy's article without even so much as quote mark. And then held it out as your own, and then to top it off, "accepted thanks" for having written it. All in an effort to make yourself look knowledgable. Thats tacky.

The body of knowledge on ram air and it's existence, or lack thereof is significant. However, I said it once and I will say it again. That was not your work and you should have made every effort to let us know where you got it from instead of representing it as your own in an obvious attempt to give the impression that you are more qualified to give an opinion on ram air than anyone else here.

Then give those others credit for what they wrote. You are referencing, no copying it verbatim in an effort to make yourself look "scholarly."
Just to let you know I'm back on line. You boys leave him alone. You ever tell anyone two plus two equals four? Did you go into lengthy details to explain how you knew that?

This is for Gary and Rick. You know who you are. You boys need to find something to do with your time and quit supporting that piece of crap called a Vararaararam!!

300bhp/ton, don't listen to these guys and don't let them intimidate you. Just tell them to pizz off.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well I'm glad that you read and research information instead of relying and believing marketing jargon. However I never claimed it to be my own work, I have reserached ram air and intake setups for quite a while and the information I displayed seemed to me to be the most descriptive I could find, so I shared it with others. Do you have a problem with that?
None whatsoever. But if you are conveying information which you found over the internet, then state so. Let us know where, and from whom, you got the information.

As opposed to copying and posting an essay written by someone else in an attempt to make yourself look good.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-05-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:08 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Korreck
Just to let you know I'm back on line. You boys leave him alone. You ever tell anyone two plus two equals four? Did you go into lengthy details to explain how you knew that?

This is for Gary and Rick. You know who you are. You boys need to find something to do with your time and quit supporting that piece of crap called a Vararaararam!!

300bhp/ton, don't listen to these guys and don't let them intimidate you. Just tell them to pizz off.
Hey Bob, how are you doing. I am sending you a PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Special K
Safety Car

I recognized that article right away as I have read it on more than one occasion. I also recognized the second one he cut and pasted from.

Bottom line is you have a lot of people claiming to be able to somehow "debunk" the "ram air myth".

It may very well be a myth. I don't know or care. Only problem is that they offer up little if any alternate, feasable reason for why the Vararam works
That is BS. I've told you why it works. NO FILTER!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 12:14 PM
300bhp/ton
Advanced

I now see what your problem is.

The fact that these articles are all very good and likely accurate, yet they disprove the claims of the marketing people that you obviously dearly cling too. So as you can't disprove the information you are deciding to personally attack me in a hope it discredits the information. - Very clever, if a little childish.

However its getting late and the rush hour traffic is only getting worse, which means its time to call it a day.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:18 PM
gmosley
Burning Brakes

how bout we let the internet police handle the plagirism and what not and get back on subject!!

anyways i this is partly on topic but i see someone mention the maf and wot values and a lean condition i never had a problem with throwing codes on my car i do however question if its running rich or lean so i could adjust the fuel enrichment on my predator to get it to a more stable mix
so basically im asking whether or not i need to adjust fuel enrichment (on the predator)since i have a vararam installed as well as the predator you know every little bit helps
Old 07-05-2005, 12:19 PM
300bhp/ton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Korreck

Cheers.

And although this will likely upset several of the guys on here. Your posts do make the most sense out of any of them. Logic, reason and ratioanlity mean a whole lot more than most of the hot air thrown around message forums.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I now see what your problem is.

The fact that these articles are all very good and likely accurate, yet they disprove the claims of the marketing people that you obviously dearly cling too. So as you can't disprove the information you are deciding to personally attack me in a hope it discredits the information. - Very clever, if a little childish.

However its getting late and the rush hour traffic is only getting worse, which means its time to call it a day.
Those articles may indeed be accurate. I don't know. And I have no desire to try and "disprove" it. I don't care.

But I do know this. You pilfered someone else's work, which may or may not be accurate, then started this thread with that person's words in an effort to make it appear as though the findings referenced in it were your own.

Get notified of new replies

To Ram Air - Myth or Truth?

Old 07-05-2005, 12:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gmosley
how bout we let the internet police handle the plagirism and what not and get back on subject!!
Its not that. Its that he was attempting to hold himself out as an "authority" using someone else's words. He even had a few people fooled.

But the truth is that his is just another armchair opinion (as opposed to any research effort on his part) in a long list of "opinions" on whether ram air exists in automobiles or not. And his "opinion" like everyone else's appears to be a "biased" one at that in looking at his last post to Korreck.

The difference is that he was attempting to give the illusion of "scholarship" ......and make you and others think that he knows more than he actually does..... by using someone else's essay. Then let folks pat him on the back for such a "scholarly" write up.

As far as the "subject", it has been discussed many times and with the same results at the end of those discussions.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-05-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:35 PM
carnut108
Racer

When all is said and done, it comes down to " did the Vararam help" Yes, it did.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Those articles may indeed be accurate. I don't know. And I have no desire to try and "disprove" it. I don't care.

But I do know this. You pilfered someone else's work, which may or may not be accurate, then started this thread with that person's words in an effort to make it appear as though the findings referenced in it were your own.
I disagree. He gave you some good info. And apparently you've read it all. You know what we speak is the truth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Air - Myth or Truth?