C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your car sound like a raspy motor boat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Honez
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does your car sound like a raspy motor boat?

I'm writing this for all you guys out there that have modded your cars exhaust with LT's and the such and aren't happy with the rasp and putt putt sound.

I have a car with H/C, LT, High Flow Cats, and a Corsa Touring muffler and hated the sound. It was so dame loud small animals died as I drove past and the idle sounded like a freaking putt putt motor boat. Well I took it to my custom muffler shop here in town and to my surprise he said the only thing that would give me the muscle car sound I was after would be a "Flowmaster". I was hesitant but at his advise I allowed him to order and install it. All I can say is WOW! Now this thing sounds so bad *** it's not funny. When I picked it up from the muffler shop the guy that installed was very excited about how it came out and commented that because of the CAM it sounded sick. All my other Vette buddies with the same setup are now placing their orders.

So long story short, if you want that deep old school sound back get the "Flowmasters", and if you think they don't flow as well as the other aftermarket ones out there your probably right. So I'm only making 420HP to the wheels instead of 425 HP. Big deal, giving up a pony or two is worth getting the sound of American muscle back into the car.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:43 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Honez
I'm writing this for all you guys out there that have modded your cars exhaust with LT's and the such and aren't happy with the rasp and putt putt sound.

I have a car with H/C, LT, High Flow Cats, and a Corsa Touring muffler and hated the sound. It was so dame loud small animals died as I drove past and the idle sounded like a freaking putt putt motor boat. Well I took it to my custom muffler shop here in town and to my surprise he said the only thing that would give me the muscle car sound I was after would be a "Flowmaster". I was hesitant but at his advise I allowed him to order and install it. All I can say is WOW! Now this thing sounds so bad *** it's not funny. When I picked it up from the muffler shop the guy that installed was very excited about how it came out and commented that because of the CAM it sounded sick. All my other Vette buddies with the same setup are now placing their orders.

So long story short, if you want that deep old school sound back get the "Flowmasters", and if you think they don't flow as well as the other aftermarket ones out there your probably right. So I'm only making 420HP to the wheels instead of 425 HP. Big deal, giving up a pony or two is worth getting the sound of American muscle back into the car.

Glad you'tre happy with the Flowmasters. GHL Bullets will also give you the sound you're after and are "tuned" to avoid all interior resonance at cruising speeds. I'm very happy with my GHLs with heads, cam, Dynatech longtubes, high flow cats, X-pipe, injectors, intake, Blackwing, etc. The car sounds fantastic at idle (very, very deep) and WOT is unbelievable. These are marvelous and fun machines!
Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 08-13-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:48 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what model Flowmasters did you have installed? I had Corsa Indy's with all the bolt-ons and a h/c and I agree, it was really loud and sounded like an Indy race car. It sounded really good if you wanted your car to sound like that, but I like a deep muscle car sound too. I installed Borla Stingers and they are deep and sound like a muscle car also, but they do have a drone when cruising. I'm thinking of a way to cancel that now because I don't want to spend any more money on my exhaust.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:56 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Flowmasters on my '89 coupe that I raced and the resonance was so seveere that me neighbors were ready to "get a rope" But, yeah, they were great.

I have Corsa Indy on my '01 Vert and am not all that happy. I would love to have my vette sound like a Mustang I'll probablly ditch the Corsa's soon but haven't decided whose exhaust to go with.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:14 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jeanlucpicard
I had Flowmasters on my '89 coupe that I raced and the resonance was so seveere that me neighbors were ready to "get a rope" But, yeah, they were great.

I have Corsa Indy on my '01 Vert and am not all that happy. I would love to have my vette sound like a Mustang I'll probablly ditch the Corsa's soon but haven't decided whose exhaust to go with.

Listen to a set of GHL Bullets and your search will be over. Deep, powerful sound and no interior resonance. You will not believe the difference.
Ed
Old 08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
jcharity

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Deep muscle car sound.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Honez
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't sure about letting him put on the Flowmasters at first becuase of what I have heard from others not liking the drone, but these are a new partnumber to the Vette with new style tips and they really don't drone. At cruse and part throtle it's very nice inside the cockpit. You know there's something there but it's not obnoxious. I would like to have heard some GHL Bullets first but at this point I'm very happy with the setup. Everyone that hears them and rides with me seems to really dig them. What's really importiant is that I'm finially happy with the sound. It sounds more like my built F-Body. That thing sounds so deep and awsome, everyone even gets close to it loves that car and it's sound. Here are some Pic's of my stable.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:47 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

[QUOTE=Honez]at this point I'm very happy with the setup. Everyone that hears them and rides with me seems to really dig them. What's really importiant is that I'm finially happy with the sound.[QUOTE]

Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 08-14-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Corsa Indy's are awesome on a stock C5. Once you start mods, they are WAY too loud and have a unique high pitched sound.
I just swapped on Z06 Ti's. They are quieter at WOT but have WAY more cruise resonance and idle hum than Corsas. I wish I could combine the two.

Get notified of new replies

To Does your car sound like a raspy motor boat?

Quick Reply: Does your car sound like a raspy motor boat?