C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do Dynatech Supermaxx Headers stack up against others?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:42 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Default How do Dynatech Supermaxx Headers stack up against others?

Seems like a quality system but I remember reading a long time ago that people were getting really poor performance from them. Have they made new versions that are improved? How do they stack up against Kooks and LG. Basically I am just trying to find the best buy in LT's these days (with X-pipe). Want a quality set but don't want to overpay and Dynatech's are on sale so wanted to hopefully get some opinions from people who know.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 09-26-2005, 07:08 PM
SRQC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
Seems like a quality system but I remember reading a long time ago that people were getting really poor performance from them. Have they made new versions that are improved? How do they stack up against Kooks and LG. Basically I am just trying to find the best buy in LT's these days (with X-pipe). Want a quality set but don't want to overpay and Dynatech's are on sale so wanted to hopefully get some opinions from people who know.
Thanks,
Kevin

yeah, good post, i just realized how little I know about headers. is it better to not mix brands (say Bassani with corsa) or is it better to have all one manufacturer. i have borla stingers, but a stock set of headers. What would be the best system for me to switch to (value and performance wise)
Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got the Dynatechs. They are a really well made high quality product. Fit is excellent. I don't think that there is a significant performance difference between any of the leading headers with the possible exception of LG's but you will also pay significantly more for the LG's.

Dynatechs are great! Go for it.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:24 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I've got the Dynatechs. They are a really well made high quality product. Fit is excellent. I don't think that there is a significant performance difference between any of the leading headers with the possible exception of LG's but you will also pay significantly more for the LG's.

Dynatechs are great! Go for it.
Dynatech Supermaxx all the way.

LG's are good too. I personally do not care for Kooks. Just MHO
Old 09-26-2005, 07:39 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the "bad performance" was 3 to 5 hp less than LG's ($1800) Produced probibly the longest and most "vicious" threads I have seen

Seriously, I have them and they are awesome. Maintains both sets of O2 Bungs, fitment is like a glove and fits very tight to underbelly, price includes CATs and you can get them for under $1200 shipped if you look hard enough in this Forum.

Slap a Vararam, Magnaflow exhaust and a Vette Doctor Tune with them and you have 346 rwhp / 366 rwtq and a 12.5 second (or faster with practice) machine

Last edited by mowton; 09-26-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:42 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Is it a quality stainless steel? I just wouldn't want them getting all rusty etc...
Old 09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Also, if I decide to go with the off-road Y-pipe, but than later down the road I realize I need a catted y-pipe, can I just buy the catted Y-pipe from them seperately at that time?

PS-Mowton, this would be for the 01 Z06 I am buying, so I would hope to do a lot better than 346rwhp with LT's, vararam and tune!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

KB,

I was actually tracking your purchase thread and it was quite entertaining. Glad to see you got the car. Sounds like a great deal; best of luck.

As far as the quality of the stainless, it is great. 9 months and no sign of rust and welds are clean and smooth. I assume you can buy an adapter and pipe (or they may have one ready made) from Dynatech to install for your Off-Road setup and swap in the CAT's when you need to.

Sorry, I forgot you are getting the Z. You will probably need the 1.75 inch tube setup as well. Assume you gains should be about the same but about 40 to 50 rwhp higher than my LS1.

Ed
Old 09-26-2005, 08:52 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah I know, I was like trying to fend off all the wolves, lol. I'm flying there this Saturday to pick it up

So if I order the dynatech's I have to specify a 1.75 inch setup b/c it's a Z06?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:05 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

I would call Dynatech direct and post the question to the forum. I'm pretty sure based on the HP the LS6 puts out. I know they recommend the 1 7/8 for the LS2 and it uses the same hi-flow heads as your Z.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:10 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Is it a quality stainless steel? I just wouldn't want them getting all rusty etc...
Pics are your answer.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:26 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great and very helpful pics, EG. Quite frankly, the Dynatech SuperMaxx long tube header system is one of the best, if not, the best, long tube header exhaust system package VALUES released to the consumer public to date. A purchaser receives their headers, cats and mid tubes all in one package for possibly around the price mentioned above. However, do shop around. And, you might just get the best retail pricing from Scoggins Dickey, a supporting vendor.

As far as construction is concerned: The quality of the finish and welds are exceptional. And, their customer service is fantastic with no back log, as seen occurring with other manufacturers. BTW, the fitment is perfection. Good Luck to You.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:44 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Anyone know what type of gains I would see on an 01 Z06 with these headers?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:49 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes you can win a good deal on Ebay from the seller Corvette Garage. I paid $1374 for mine, but that was the best price then. Now there is some better deals around.
I haven't installed mine yet. I will probably send them to Jet-Hot here soon and get them Ceramic Coated to help insulate the heat. It's going to be part of my Winter upgrading. But they look good right out of the box, and are made of heavy wall stainless steel tubing. These are nothing like the cheap $200 steel headers you use to buy a long time ago for street cars. These should last a lifetime. I have seen the LG LT headers in person, and they look equally well built too. They are more expensive because they use a special collector that cost more money, but makes more power in a certain rpm range. But LG is suppose to be coming out with a header kit similar to these with the typical collector system and a lower price. I don't know about the Kooks, but I know a lot of people like those as well. All I know is with the Dynotechs or the LG's, you can't go wrong and you won't be sorry for the purchase.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:04 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts

Seems like a quality system but I remember reading a long time ago that people were getting really poor performance from them.
Thanks,
Kevin
That was mostly propaganda put out by LG.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:11 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts

Slap a Vararam, Magnaflow exhaust and a Vette Doctor Tune with them and you have 346 rwhp / 366 rwtq and a 12.5 second (or faster with practice) machine [/QUOTE]

Not nearly enough HP! Dump the Magnaflows add a Ti system and add ported LS6 heads, LS6 intake, cam to the mix and get close to 400 RWHP! Dynatechs are great but do the rest or it just ain't worth it.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:20 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

In do time my friend, in do time. First my goal is an et of 12.3XX on this set of mods. Have .3 to go I want to make sure that my improvements in ET aren't mosty due to increased HP. Looking to improve my driving skills

I would estimate I will reach my goal by the end of this season (cooler air and better driving skills). Then maybe Santa will bring me an H/C present

Get notified of new replies

To How do Dynatech Supermaxx Headers stack up against others?

Old 09-26-2005, 10:29 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Makes no difference to me what anyone chooses. An opinion was requested and I provided my own humble opinion. I have no stake or shares in Dynatech nor do I stand to gain anything if anyone chooses their system over another.

Get whatever you like, is my conclusion.

EG
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 AM
TSDuke
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose the Dynatech's. Quality system, went on very easy, & made noticable power without a tune.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice pictures England and Duke. Does anyone have any real before and after dyno numbers with these headers though? Also are the cats 50-state emissions legal?

Quick Reply: How do Dynatech Supermaxx Headers stack up against others?