C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on tires? - Michelin PS2 vs PS ZP

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 09:50 PM
JasonS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggestions on tires? - Michelin PS2 vs PS ZP

Hoping the forum members could share some of their guidance with me...I'm looking to replace my (stock) rear EMT's on my 2001 C5.
Looking through the threads and comparing the data on Tirerack, I think I'm going to go with Michelins over the Goodyears. I'm also strongly considering going with non run-flats given the (extremely) loud road noise with the stock tires.
Basically I've narrowed it down to the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (non run flat) and the Pilot Sport A/S ZP (runflat). I ONLY drive the car in the summer, so I really don't need all-season, and would like the best dry traction and low road noise. Are the ZP's signifcantly better in road noise than the stock Goodyear's? (if they are, maybe it's worth sacrificing a little try traction to the PS2's to gain the comfort of run-flat's)...and would the ZP's have signficantly LESS dry traction than the PS2's? Just trying to weigh my options - your guidance would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Jason
Old 09-27-2005, 11:00 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I can't tell you anything about the runflats, but I have the PS2's and they made a noticeable difference over the stock Goodyears on my Z06. They handle better, ride better, and are quieter too.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:46 AM
RaVolt
Advanced

I have the ZPs. They are MUCH quieter than the Goodyears, better traction wet and dry (and not bad in the snow either - I would have never tried that with the Goodyears) and a more comfortable ride. The only regret I have about getting the Michelin ZPs is that I didn't do it much sooner.

Never tried the PS2s, so I can't give you a comparison between those and the ZPs.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 PM
04BlueGoose
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonS
Hoping the forum members could share some of their guidance with me...I'm looking to replace my (stock) rear EMT's on my 2001 C5.
Looking through the threads and comparing the data on Tirerack, I think I'm going to go with Michelins over the Goodyears. I'm also strongly considering going with non run-flats given the (extremely) loud road noise with the stock tires.
Basically I've narrowed it down to the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (non run flat) and the Pilot Sport A/S ZP (runflat). I ONLY drive the car in the summer, so I really don't need all-season, and would like the best dry traction and low road noise. Are the ZP's signifcantly better in road noise than the stock Goodyear's? (if they are, maybe it's worth sacrificing a little try traction to the PS2's to gain the comfort of run-flat's)...and would the ZP's have signficantly LESS dry traction than the PS2's? Just trying to weigh my options - your guidance would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Jason
Have you looked @ the Goodyear GS-D3 Non run flat? Have about 5000 miles on mine and love them-they have gotten better with the miles. They have a longer life than the PS2's and equal abilities. Plus I liked the idea of keeping the Goodyear on the car. I keep a small jack and flat fix kit in the car.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Anomir
Pro

I have to go with ZP. Great tires, so far I have had 0 complaints or issues.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:45 AM
IFLUBYU
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had the Mich ZPs, but I have been through the stock GY EMTs (runflats), Z06 stock GY Supercars, and now the Mich PS2s.

I can't speak to the Mich ZPs, but as far as the PS2s go; if you got the money, get these tires.
Compared to the runflats: lighter, quieter, significant performance improvement in all areas.
Compared to GY Supercars: quieter, somewhat better dry handling, a step above on a dead hook, significant wet performance improvement.

If I had to go cheap, the GS-D3s were my next consideration, great tire for the money.

Unless you are prone to flats, ditch the runflats and get these and a can of fix a flat.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:20 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by RaVolt
I have the ZPs. They are MUCH quieter than the Goodyears, better traction wet and dry (and not bad in the snow either - I would have never tried that with the Goodyears) and a more comfortable ride. The only regret I have about getting the Michelin ZPs is that I didn't do it much sooner.
Had 'em for two years now. Excellent year-round in Chicagoland.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:24 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dumped the stock Goodyears on my wife's 2000 and put the Michelin runflats on it. Better traction, much quieter, much smoother ride. Very noticeable. My brother in law got in as a passenger (he has a 2004 'vert) and after riding a mile asked why my car rode so much smoother?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:53 PM
mtwalet
Racer

Good Subject!

Anyone know of any magazines out there that have run comparision tests on the runflats vs the non runflats...or runflats vs the runflats? Company vs. company?

I would imagine all the tire companies would say 'ours is best', but we all know that is just words. The feedback generated from the forum members or users is great, but can be bias based on their individual preferences. Or if I could get a tire company to sponsor me with their tires, what else can I say other than thumbs up! (I wish I could get a tire company to use me as a test mule......if any are reading this!)

This subject seems to pop up almost every week on one of the forums and hopefully by the time I am ready to replace my tires with runflats......or not, the creme of the crop will rise to the surface to help me make my decision. Until then, I got my mail box cleaned out to handle all of those offers I'm going to get!!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by IFLUBYU
Haven't had the Mich ZPs, but I have been through the stock GY EMTs (runflats), Z06 stock GY Supercars, and now the Mich PS2s.

I can't speak to the Mich ZPs, but as far as the PS2s go; if you got the money, get these tires.
Compared to the runflats: lighter, quieter, significant performance improvement in all areas.
Compared to GY Supercars: quieter, somewhat better dry handling, a step above on a dead hook, significant wet performance improvement.

If I had to go cheap, the GS-D3s were my next consideration, great tire for the money.

Unless you are prone to flats, ditch the runflats and get these and a can of fix a flat.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:07 PM
JasonS
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback everyone, this is really helpful. I think the PS2's are the likely option and, looking at the Tirerack web site (where you can do some pretty cool comparisons that compare the ratings of the tires in various categories), the PS2's come out on top for dry and wet traction, and noise. Regarding the non-run-flat option, I understand there is a Z06 tire inflator kit...what does this include (it seems very expensive...is it just a pump?). Do you think I would do damage to the pressure sensor in the tire if I used a fix-a-flat type of spray-can solution?
Cheers
Jason
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01 PM
rkerr1234
Instructor

Great tires if you don't mind supporting the French!
Old 10-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Bills03Coupe
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default PS2 Mileage

I've read nothing but good things about the Michelin PS2's. A couple of my friends have them, and so far, are extremely pleased. My question is, has anyone had these on their car long enough to determine how well they will wear?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Bills03Coupe
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, this is really helpful. I think the PS2's are the likely option and, looking at the Tirerack web site (where you can do some pretty cool comparisons that compare the ratings of the tires in various categories), the PS2's come out on top for dry and wet traction, and noise. Regarding the non-run-flat option, I understand there is a Z06 tire inflator kit...what does this include (it seems very expensive...is it just a pump?). Do you think I would do damage to the pressure sensor in the tire if I used a fix-a-flat type of spray-can solution?
Cheers
Jason
Jason, go to the Tire rack website @www.tirerack.com and check out the ContiComfortKit. It's a pump with a special latex sealant that will NOT damage your sensors! Cost is $75!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

PS2!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:27 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Cheers
Jason
I love my Michelin Pilot Run Flats they are quiet and very sticky!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:29 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rkerr1234
Great tires if you don't mind supporting the French!
If you buy Firestone your supporting the Japs its all about the same. We're in a world economy.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions on tires? - Michelin PS2 vs PS ZP

Old 10-11-2005, 10:01 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I was getting ready to purchase new tires when the fiasco at the Formula 1 race at Indy occurred. At first I decided not to buy Michelins, they were initially considered the blame of the whole incident. However, as things unfolded, Michelin was the only organization to make any attempt to resolve their part of the dealings leading up to the race incident. Also, the C6R factory race team switched to Michelins and that improved their performance quite noticeably. PS2 non-runflats will ride even better than the ZP runflats. A runflat needs a stiffer sidewall to be able to roll without air in it. Either Michelin will ride better than the Goodyears. I have a few thousand miles now on my PS2's and they look so far like they are brand new. There are no complaints, they do everything very well.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:08 PM
DJMRTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bills03Coupe
I've read nothing but good things about the Michelin PS2's. A couple of my friends have them, and so far, are extremely pleased. My question is, has anyone had these on their car long enough to determine how well they will wear?

I have!

Any tire you put on the rear of a vette will have a short tread life! I'm on my 3rd set of rear PS2 tires and still on my first set of front tires. I do drive hard occasionally,(canyon runs) however I do not do tire burn-outs, drag race, or drift. Also I have my alignment checked twice a year. I get a very even wear on my tires but only get about 12kmiles out of them (to the wear bars). I run 30psi cold tire pressure all the way around. PS2's in my opinion, are the best street legal, all around tire you can buy. (Definately not the cheapest tire!)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:34 PM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 87bob
If you buy Firestone your supporting the Japs its all about the same. We're in a world economy.
Well put...And I thought Michelins were made in Germany. There are only a small handfull of manufacturing plants in the world.
Scott

Quick Reply: Suggestions on tires? - Michelin PS2 vs PS ZP