C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal stuck half-way

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Hung6525
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal stuck half-way

I down shift from 6th gear at about 70mph to 5th gear and the clutch pedal stuck half-way. The pedal was down enough that the clutch was engage at all time. Also, is there clutch fluHas anyone encounter this? o... i got a 2000 FRC. Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Y2KC5NBM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Several people including myself have experienced the "sticky clutch" syndrome before. But, this usually occurs when shifting up through the gears at high rpm's. When I shift from 1st to second, and then from second to third, I will have the clutch stick about halfway to the floor. Mind you these shifts are when I'm bringing the rpm's almost to redline each time. If I am shifting normally, I do not have this problem. If you pump the clutch pedal a couple of times, it should come all the way back up.

There are several post reguarding this issue, and their are several different "answers" to the problem. For a temporary fix, you can remove the spring that assist the clutch in being held down to the floor. This will help the pedal come back to it's "resting" position. However, this is only a temporary fix and you will still notice that your clutch engagement point will be closer to the floor until you pump the clutch a few times.

The correct fix for this has varying answers. Some say it's the pressure plate getting warped that causes this. Some say it's the restriction in the slave cylinder that causes the fluid not to be able to move rapidly enough when it gets hot.

My answer is I'm replacing all of my clutch components with the LS7 clutch assembly with new master and slave cylinder. Also, I'm replacing the flywheel with an LS2 flywheel.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal stuck half-way