C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam: can it do any harm ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:37 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

There is one risk you need to be aware of, whenever you use any kind of liquid poured in through the intake. I know of one, only one, instance where a owner poured in the fluid too fast and hydrolocked a cylinder, OUCH!! One engine rebuild later he had a sad story to tell.

So, just make sure you don't pour it in so fast as to kill the engine. I just suck it in at a rate that causes the engine to begin struggling to idle. Then shut it down for an hour or so, then kill the mosquitos!

Also, top end cleaners can take a while to erode the hard carbon. I've seen improvements in knock retard up to 500 miles after I did the treatment.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
That looks like NEW.....great job
What did you use....how long did it take??

I know mine look like that too..........I am hoping the Seafoam thru the Intake Manafold and foging is going to get rid of most of it......but somehow I don't think the results will be anything like what you did!!!!

DH
I mainly used a scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:03 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
There is one risk you need to be aware of, whenever you use any kind of liquid poured in through the intake. I know of one, only one, instance where a owner poured in the fluid too fast and hydrolocked a cylinder, OUCH!! One engine rebuild later he had a sad story to tell.

Mike
Thats a good point about not pouring too fast and killing the engine -
The instructions on the GM Top End Cleaner say to pour about 1/2 to 2/3 of can slowly and then more quickly to "stall the engine." Thats right - they said "Stall the Engine." They are talking about an engine with a carburetor and pouring through the carb however.

I ran a tube from the PCV inlet at the manifold to a funnel and clamped the tube off with a vise grip just enough to let the cleaner get sucked in slowly by the vacumm. Sort of like an IV drip. Worked out fine. It took a few minutes to get all the fluid in and then I shut it down for about 30 minutes.

After I started it and ran it to blow out the junk, you could wipe your hand across the rear end and see the carbon on your fingers.

It really works.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by RstyNutz
The e-mail is there in the body of my thread
Here is the cut and paste of it.

"Everyone is right - it is a matter of preference.

I suggest - after the motor has been fogged ( semi-flooded) let it sit 5 - 10 minutes. ( The reason I would not let it sit 12 hours, is, that the motor would get cold, I think that the fogging job is better if it is a hot tank effect.

Fogging a motor should not effect the motor oil at all, different systems.

Yes, fogging a motor will get the plugs wet, BUT< they will dry themselves when you " Drive it like you stole it " when you clean out the system."

Hope this answers your questions.

Dale Lackore
National Sales Manager
Sea Foam Sales Company
(952)938-4811
d.lackore@seafoamsales.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rusty:

Besides being stupid I'm also color blind.......just kidding I did reread your original post a couple of days ago.

But I am surprized that he feels 15 minutes is going to remove 50k miles of carbon buildup .... like you see on the pistons in the post above.

GM Topend is 12 hours per the tech tips on the forum....

DH
The following users liked this post:
Stickyone2 (04-12-2018)
Old 01-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

So, just make sure you don't pour it in so fast as to kill the engine. I just suck it in at a rate that causes the engine to begin struggling to idle. Then shut it down for an hour or so, then kill the mosquitos!

Also, top end cleaners can take a while to erode the hard carbon. I've seen improvements in knock retard up to 500 miles after I did the treatment.

Mike
Good to know!!!!!

Pour SLOWLY.
Are you saying that the carbon is still coming off 500 miles later..???
If that true shouldn't you do an immediate oil change and then another 500 miles later??

EStreeter: You only used 1 can for 30 minutes??? Seems like few are following the tech tip which says 2 cans left in over nite!!!

DH
Old 01-09-2006, 05:32 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

When I bought the Top End Cleaner, the GM parts guy said their techs use it all the time and they usually use 1 can. My car has 25K on it and been breaking up on the dyno at about 4700 rpm. Its likie it has a miss fire or knock but everything checks out mechanically. I have tried a few different things and this was one of them.

There was a lot carbon on the rear of the car after the drive. I don't if I got it all but I plan to do another treatment before I go back to the dyno later this month for a tune.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EStreeter
When I bought the Top End Cleaner, the GM parts guy said their techs use it all the time and they usually use 1 can. My car has 25K on it and been breaking up on the dyno at about 4700 rpm. Its likie it has a miss fire or knock but everything checks out mechanically. I have tried a few different things and this was one of them.

There was a lot carbon on the rear of the car after the drive. I don't if I got it all but I plan to do another treatment before I go back to the dyno later this month for a tune.
I'm gettting my tune checked/adjusted in about 10 days....thats why I want to do the decarb also.

Nice car color.....
Old 01-09-2006, 06:48 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Are you saying that the carbon is still coming off 500 miles later..???
If that true shouldn't you do an immediate oil change and then another 500 miles later??
I haven't done it the way C4C5 suggests, pouring 4 ozs into each cylinder, leaving it overnight, turning the engine over with the plugs out, etc. I have complete trust that his way does the best, he's a pro's pro.

My way just sucks it through the intake, gets "burned" in the cylinders, and pumped out the exhaust. So, there shouldn't be much if any in the oil.

The top end cleaners first soak into the "soft" carbon that builds up in the intake chambers and the shroud of the intake valve. It also soaks into the "hard" carbon that's in the combustion chamber (just at higher temperatures). In both cases the vibration from subsequent running causes the carbon to loosen (I assume along crystalline boundaries) and erode, with the loose particles exiting via the exhaust.

Also, this procedure works best (seriously!) when you go make some hard runs. Remember you parents "blowing out the carbon"? I always thought that was a rather poor excuse, but turns out they're correct!

As far as the 500 miles goes, my '94 Z-28 (LT-1 motor) has a full time diagnostic tool wired in, which shows spark retard. First time I did the top end cleaner exercise I was pretty disappointed with the results. I "checked" the knock retard every week and found the retard values went down over a long period of time. In my case it took about 200 miles, but on other cars I've seen it take a bit longer. My point was, have some patience if you don't see immediate results.

Mike
Old 01-10-2006, 04:07 AM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rusty:

Besides being stupid I'm also color blind.......just kidding I did reread your original post a couple of days ago.

But I am surprized that he feels 15 minutes is going to remove 50k miles of carbon buildup .... like you see on the pistons in the post above.

GM Topend is 12 hours per the tech tips on the forum....

DH
Sorry Howie I had to go to RED to point it out to you. I was concerned with the mixed information on how to use Sea Foam, so I e-mailed the company and that is what the company rep came back with. The catch all is "everybody is right".
Anyway I used a can in the wife's Jeep with 79200 miles on it and let me tell you...while pouring it in it SMOKED big time. I let it sit 15 minutes fired it up...SMOKE..left my drive way headed out to the highway to run it out and believe it or not I was flagged down by the local LEO to tell me my car is smoking...I told him "I know..I'm head to the shop now". SO out to the highway..smoking all the way....got on it a few times running it up to 80+ MPH for about 6 miles. Smoke cleared up engine smooth out. Got a can and poured in the gas tank and will change the plugs that have over 30K on them..
When I used it in my Corvette...it didn't smoke as much...and cleared up in under 3 miles..leads me to believe there wasn't that much carbon build up.
Rsty
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 AM
TomT
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 38 Posts

Does this stuff work if poured in the gas tank?
And if so, how many tanks does it take?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

You have a few options...

1. Run Seafoam or other top end cleaner
2. Sign up for a track event and blow the carbon out the fun way!

I drive my car hard and run 4/5 HPDE's a year. I had it dyno-tuned this past weekend and it showed no signs of knock or knock retard of any kind... runs smooth and the dyno chart shows that (see sig).

I think when I get to 100,000 miles (47,000 to go) I'll run some of this magic stuff through =)
Old 01-10-2006, 12:25 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by RstyNutz
My wife has a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee same engine with 79K on it and I plan to pour a can down the PCV port, then change plugs and PCV valve to get ready for a CA smog test. Tell me did it improve your gas milage?
Thanks,
Rsty
No, but it helped with spark knock.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:47 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
You have a few options...

1. Run Seafoam or other top end cleaner
2. Sign up for a track event and blow the carbon out the fun way!

I drive my car hard and run 4/5 HPDE's a year. I had it dyno-tuned this past weekend and it showed no signs of knock or knock retard of any kind... runs smooth and the dyno chart shows that (see sig).

I think when I get to 100,000 miles (47,000 to go) I'll run some of this magic stuff through =)
Good move
Old 01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grinder11
No, but it helped with spark knock.
Well I ran a can thru the vacuum port and a can in the gas.Changing plugs next. The milage sux on these '97 Jeep GC (15mpg at best)
Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 98 coupe with 125,000 on it and don't know the history (only owned it since 118,000 and August). I think I will try to cover all the bases. Anyone see anything wrong with this plan?

Pour half of one can in the oil ~250 miles before oil change is due and pour 1 can in the gas .

The day before the oil change I think I'll try the 4oz in each cylinder and turn over w/o plugs then let sit overnight. Next day will run the car until it stops smoking and then change oil and put new plugs/wires (don't know when the plugs/wires were changed last).

Any other related suggestions to go along with this that you would do with the mileage/unknown history?

Rob
Old 01-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Sounds like a great way to freshen up an LS1 just reaching middle-age
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I used Seafoam to correct some stubborn pings, and it is the greatest. Only one caution when putting some in the tank....put it in while you are at the pump and immediately wash it down with gas.

My reason....i threw it in my tank without filling up and a day later, the o-rings between the 2 tanks started leaking. Now it could be a coincidence, so I'm not completely positive. But I think it's worth the extra precaution.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Seafoam: can it do any harm ??

Old 01-20-2006, 12:48 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Similar thing happened to me. I sipped it out of a container nice and steadily. I recall the instructions saying to finish it off by dunking the brake booster hose completely into the seafoam to stall the engine. This didn't work (maybe due to vacuum leaks elsewhere?) so I shut the car off manually. Upon restart, it hydrolocked. Though it was a fluke, tried again but it was still locked up. Came back out 30 minutes later and it did start up and do it's smoking thing. I assume the fluid either evaporated or leaked past the rings. Unfortunately, I never checked the compression beforehand, but it's all but dead now.

2 cylinders at 50psi, 2 at 95, 4 at 120psi. Maybe some cracked rings, or a leaking head gasket.

Everytime I post my results everyone tells me I'm an idiot.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Similar thing happened to me. I sipped it out of a container nice and steadily. I recall the instructions saying to finish it off by dunking the brake booster hose completely into the seafoam to stall the engine. This didn't work (maybe due to vacuum leaks elsewhere?) so I shut the car off manually. Upon restart, it hydrolocked. Though it was a fluke, tried again but it was still locked up. Came back out 30 minutes later and it did start up and do it's smoking thing. I assume the fluid either evaporated or leaked past the rings. Unfortunately, I never checked the compression beforehand, but it's all but dead now.

2 cylinders at 50psi, 2 at 95, 4 at 120psi. Maybe some cracked rings, or a leaking head gasket.

Everytime I post my results everyone tells me I'm an idiot.
YOUR AN IDIOT !!!!!!!!

DH
Old 01-20-2006, 01:03 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick Reply: Seafoam: can it do any harm ??