C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Paint experts...removing scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:36 PM
geeman85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling Paint experts...removing scratches

I just bought an 04 zo6 machine silver with very little flaws in the paint until today. I am fairly certain my car cover put them on it. Maybe some dirt or something on it. Anyway, there are several light scratches in the paint....long ones. Any tips would be helpful. I was going to try some meguirs scratch remover and a buffer with a soft pad. Any suggestions ?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Atlasengr02
Instructor

Default >

Get some 3M swirl mark remover (for dark colored cars) and apply that to a super clean surface..... preferrably with a buffer not a random orbital wax applicator (although one might do the trick for you). Just make sure you don't stay on one given spot for too long. OR, you will end up with more than just scratches.

Good luck!

Last edited by Atlasengr02; 02-07-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:33 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You can try buffing, but if you can feel the scratch w/ your finger nail, you might need to wetsand and buff the area.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:25 PM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
You can try buffing, but if you can feel the scratch w/ your finger nail, you might need to wetsand and buff the area.
If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, color sanding will not take it out. The clear coat is extremely thin be careful!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:07 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You can make it less noticible as long as the scratch has not gotten to the colorcoat by feathering out the scratch with 2000 or 300 paper and a buff.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:18 PM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
You can make it less noticible as long as the scratch has not gotten to the colorcoat by feathering out the scratch with 2000 or 300 paper and a buff.
You must mean if the scratch has not gotten to the paint right? CC is on top of the paint.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:35 PM
RubberBill
Race Director

Location: "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb & silent we may be led like sheep to the slaught
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My Torch Red was damaged by a dealer when it was almost new. Someone laid something on the hood while it was parked inside the shop over night and then slid it off. The dealer's body shop wetsanded the entire hood and it looked like new.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:55 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by geeman85
I just bought an 04 zo6 machine silver with very little flaws in the paint until today. I am fairly certain my car cover put them on it. Maybe some dirt or something on it. Anyway, there are several light scratches in the paint....long ones. Any tips would be helpful. I was going to try some meguirs scratch remover and a buffer with a soft pad. Any suggestions ?
This is exactly why I don't use a cover inside over the winter... I'll take the calfornia duster any time.........
Old 02-08-2006, 07:14 AM
geeman85
Racer

Well, I stopped and got some 2000 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded the scratch and buffed with Meguirs scratch remover. I got it where it is not that noticable. I have very good flourescent lighting in my shop and you have to get the right angle to see it. While I was at it, I took out some other small scratches. It worked like a champ. I think I could get the scratch out more, but did not want to bust through to the base coat. I figured I would quit while I was ahead. I was so excited, I stayed up to 11:30 and put two coats of Zaino.
I figured I might as well stay up and do it, because I probaly could not sleep from the stress. By the way, the cover is now my new jet ski cover.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:44 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlasengr02
Get some 3M swirl mark remover (for dark colored cars) and apply that to a super clean surface..... preferrably with a buffer not a random orbital wax applicator (although one might do the trick for you). Just make sure you don't stay on one given spot for too long. OR, you will end up with more than just scratches.

Good luck!
Forget that, That stuff is awful. And Do not use a real buffer unless you have experience using one. USE the orbital. Want you want is 3m
rubbing compound then 3m polishing.About $45.00 per qt. If they are too bad
Doesn't sound like they are. you can use carefully 2000 grit.
These products cannot be beat.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-08-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:58 PM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swirl remover is saposed to be used after the polishing coumpound. It removes the scratches from the polishing coumpond. If used correctly it works great.

I would reccomend a 3M product called finnesse. Its white, bottle color veries though, but it could be applied by hand with great results with light surface scratches
Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by DBRASUE
If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, color sanding will not take it out. The clear coat is extremely thin be careful!
Not completely true. If the scratch shows white on a dark car that
Will even if it catches your nail, Be real slow and careful, Wiping often
with a towel. It will show very dull but You will see whats left of the scratch. Some clear coats are thicker than you think.
I once had a tenant. I booted out (meth head).
He came and keyed my car.(black) I called my agent.Got a check
Took it to the body shop. I mean this looked horrible.
Body looked close and saw the white in the scratch and said try this.
I spent $100.00 and went to work for over 10 hrs.By hand. The damage
came out and I had the best paint town, Just super super Gloss.
People knew it was me by the shine of the car

Get notified of new replies

To Calling Paint experts...removing scratches

Quick Reply: Calling Paint experts...removing scratches