C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Drilled/Slotted Replacement Rotors?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:44 PM
1-BAD-VETTE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Drilled/Slotted Replacement Rotors?

My front rotors are warped, and i'm just going to go ahead and replace the rear rotors, but i'm looking for some rotors that won't rust, and are drilled/slotted or dimpled or whatever, what's the difference between the drilled/slotted/dimpled and which one tends to be the best? I know of stoptech, but I couldn't find them on their website. Anyone know of another good brand of rotor? I appreciate the help!

Adam
Old 02-07-2006, 03:52 PM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine ordered and installed by Cartek in NJ.
http://www.cartek.net/
Price was about the best I found in the area and their service is terrific.

Or, you can order from the link below. Their prices were very competitive as well.

http://www.sportbrakes.com/cart/home.php
Scott
Old 02-07-2006, 04:12 PM
1-BAD-VETTE
Racer

http://www.sportbrakes.com/cart/prod...1&cat=0&page=1

Those from sportbrakes are looking good. Does anyone have experience with them? Do they rust? Whats the best to go for? Drilled/Slotted or Dimpled/Slotted?

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-07-2006, 04:44 PM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1-BAD-VETTE
http://www.sportbrakes.com/cart/prod...1&cat=0&page=1

Those from sportbrakes are looking good. Does anyone have experience with them? Do they rust? Whats the best to go for? Drilled/Slotted or Dimpled/Slotted?

Thanks for the info!
I believe the drilled is just for cosmetic purposes. They used to be used to dissipate gas when asbestos pads were used back in the day.
I bought them for their visual appeal.

I've also been told by autocross guys that the drilled ones actually weaken the rotor if you're going to be doing any serious auto Xing though.
Scott
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought the sportbrakes zinc washed slotted and drilled.
based on recommendations form the forum.
I felt trying to clean the dimpled may be a pain and no one had advice to offer at the time.

the zinc washing greatly improves the rust resistance. BUT only outside the firepath. The pads will quickly wear away the zinc coating and then they are like mormal rotors underneath that build light rust in bewteen use. The light rust is removed after the first couple stop signs.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
I bought the sportbrakes zinc washed slotted and drilled.
based on recommendations form the forum.
I felt trying to clean the dimpled may be a pain and no one had advice to offer at the time.

the zinc washing greatly improves the rust resistance. BUT only outside the firepath. The pads will quickly wear away the zinc coating and then they are like mormal rotors underneath that build light rust in bewteen use. The light rust is removed after the first couple stop signs.

I've been running them for about 18 months. Very happy with them
Old 02-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

there is a big difference between "cheap" rotors, and inexpensive rotors
Old 02-07-2006, 07:08 PM
turboc5
Pro

All the racers use NAPA raw rotors. no holes or slots for about $25 and they are great for the race track. Drilled/slotted are just for looks. They WILL crack if heavily used, even on the street. If you must have a drilled/slotted rotor I have been very with my brembo slotted rotors from tirerack(street use). I have gone through 2 sets of hawk hp+ pads and no major cracks yet. I am going to try a 3rd set soon. The slotted are least likely to crack and will heep the pads surface clean.The drilling isn't for venting gas. The reason for drilling rotors is actully to reduce the unsprung weight and rotational mass of a bigger rotor. Keep in mind that the holes are also reducing the surface area of the rotors, redusing the stopping power.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:29 AM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

I was thinking about running the NAPA crossdrilled/slotted rotors at something like $61 each. I figure for that price they are just about disposable, so I won't have to worry too much about cracking or anything. That should hold me over until I can eventually buy a set of real brakes.

Chris
Old 02-08-2006, 03:14 PM
SupraLaal
Instructor

Do you know anyone that sells them with an aluminum hat, to help drop a little bit of weight? I would like the lightest brakes possible for the lowest cost. I saw some titanium, ceramic coated ones for $4000/set(red devil brakes)! The best thing about them is you loose 33# of unsprung weight. I would like to loose some weight but I don't want to spend more than $500
Old 02-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I purchased my set from Jennings GM out of chicago, they run Ebay ads for all GM parts,Set of GM ceramic pads and a set of GM crossdrilled/slotted rotors, $329.00 plus $65 for shipping total $395.00, and they come with a genuine 1 year GM warranty vs 90 day or 60 day warrantys which many other companys.Cant beat that for genuine GM products, check it out.

Sorry for the ebay link, but its the easiest way to show the product.

use[[[http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...N_Stores_IT]]]
Old 02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
bcseitz
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have SportBrakes drilled/slotted rotors. No problems and No rust and they look great. I painted the hats with high temp. semi-gloss black for more of an OEM look.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2006, 11:55 PM
40thAnniversary
Instructor

Brembo offers a special thing now where they paint sections of the rotor that are not in direct contact of the pads, a color of your choice, from what they offer. should resist rust, and you can probably wash them easily.

Rumors about cross-drilled rotors are pretty much endless. People say they crack between the holes, some say they never crack.

Slotted is good, definitely completely solid should help to dissipate heat away from the center of the rotor.

I've got Zimmerman Cross Drilled rotors with PBR Organic brake pads on my BMW, and I'm about to install HAWK HPS Carbon Ferro pads on the Vette here in the next few days, and I'm also looking for a rotor upgrade - so I'll be watching this topic too.

Brembo and Stoptech seem to be about the best for street, and Wilwood seem to be the pinnacle for the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap Drilled/Slotted Replacement Rotors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap Drilled/Slotted Replacement Rotors?