C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to remove the rear diff and trans WITHOUT dropping the torque tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Is it possible to remove the rear diff and trans WITHOUT dropping the torque tube?

Hey guys, I need to drop my diff out, I'm trading it as a core for a 3.90 rear with hardened output shafts. Then, I need to take my transmission out and send it to D&D for viperization. THEN I will be dropping the torque tube to swap in my LS7 clutch and new hydraulics. I want to know if these can be taken out separately, and most importantly installed separately. Trans and Diff coming out together is no big deal but I do want to do the trans and torque tube separate, I read the clutch change how to over and over again
http://fear.net/~dope/c5_clutch_install_pics.html

and I gotta admit, re-installing that assembly as one unit does not look like fun. I have to do this all alone, so thats why I want to do it that way. I understand it may take alot longer in the long run, but it doesnt matter to me. I dont want to risk F'ing something up trying to maneuver that giant assembly around. So if anyone has any tips or pointers, I'm starting this tomorrow morning. Thanks guys!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

yes sir, ck out www.cajundude.com there is also a link to Mike Mercury's page

post in your regional section, you might find some locals that would be willing to help/advise

Last edited by SteveDoten; 03-17-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

just noticed, i also have a '99 AW FRC!!! May 1999 production, JL4
Old 03-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Benchpress
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing a Ls7 clutch, with a good trans jack, it's no big deal to remove the whole assembly and re-install it.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 AM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"D&D for viperization" they use this term very loosely. The usage of Viper components(the actual ones that are different than a C5)in your unit would be a downgrade. The one main Viper piece that is stronger is the mainshaft (30 spline vs. C5 27 spline) and it will not adapt to a C5 transmission because of the internal spline of the pinion gear in the differential. Now if you mentioned doing a 9310 mainshaft,Cryo-tempering,billet keys,compressed carbon particle blocking rings, bronze shift fork pads,iron 3-4 fork,modified 1-2 fork,complete micro-polish,blueprinting,etc..... Then you are talking my talk.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

TTT please! Starting this sat night or sun morning!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:16 PM
jmzvet
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NOT necessary to drop the TQ tube! I followed Mike Mercury's instructions and have it down to a 4hr job . Done 5 of them .
Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

We find it best to remove the trans/diff as an assembly and then remove/reinstall the torque tube separately. If you are just pulling the diff, you can do that alone as well.

It is much easier to line up the torque tube and carefully insert into the pilot bearing without the heavy trans/diff hanging from it. You MUST align the clutch disc first and then very carefully insert the torque tube input shaft, or you will destroy the pilot bearing and get to do it all over again. DO NOT use the bolts to "pull" the input shaft into the clutch, it must go in freely without much force.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 PM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by ATI Performance
We find it best to remove the trans/diff as an assembly and then remove/reinstall the torque tube separately. If you are just pulling the diff, you can do that alone as well.

It is much easier to line up the torque tube and carefully insert into the pilot bearing without the heavy trans/diff hanging from it. You MUST align the clutch disc first and then very carefully insert the torque tube input shaft, or you will destroy the pilot bearing and get to do it all over again. DO NOT use the bolts to "pull" the input shaft into the clutch, it must go in freely without much force.

great info right there! will be using this method tom. night! hopefully it will work out much better!!
Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

reported to work well for rear carrer R&R

more here:
http://mikemercury.home.att.net/342.htm
Old 09-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Mikeac1984
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is super old. came up while searching. but does anyone have a link to this process that works. the one posted is dead. I'm stuck at the point disconnecting the shift linkage between the TT and trans, and looking for suggestions.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:26 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Why not unbolt the shift linkage at the shifter from inside the car?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeac1984
i know this is super old. Came up while searching. But does anyone have a link to this process that works. The one posted is dead. I'm stuck at the point disconnecting the shift linkage between the tt and trans, and looking for suggestions.
dopeinstall.doc

here's a copy of that file
Old 09-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Wow, this is old. I ended up getting a transmission jack and removing the torque tube as well, it wasn't that bad. I've done it several times since then. Still have the same car, getting ready to do it again over the winter. Going to go absolutely crazy.

Last edited by Mike94ZLT1; 09-02-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible to remove the rear diff and trans WITHOUT dropping the torque tube?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to remove the rear diff and trans WITHOUT dropping the torque tube?