C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>>

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 09:19 PM
CO_Silver_Rush
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>>

Hey guys,

I currently have the B&B PRT exhaust and I'm pretty happy with it except I wish it was a bit deeper and meaner sounding. I also dislike the popping and backfiring sound on revving and decel. I know an X-pipe will take care of some of the popping, but what options do I have for accomplishing both the elimination of the popping and a deeper/meaner sound?

Off-road X? A bolt-in/out solution would be preffered. I'd like to keep the cats, but I'm looking at all options here.

Your thoughts...
Old 08-15-2001, 09:29 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (CO_Silver_Rush)

get headers!
Old 08-15-2001, 10:14 PM
Ram Air Tony
Race Director

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (wwashing)

headers will definetly give ya a deeper throatier sound, and give ya a few added ponies as well :cool: .... but the camshaft has alot to do with teh sound and the firing order does as well.....ya cant change the firing order, but ya can change the cam .....

my car is pretty deep sounding, it has heads, cam, headers, has CATS, and PRTs......

if the headers dont get ya where ya wanna be, try a new cam

hope that helps
Old 08-15-2001, 11:32 PM
Slammed Vette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (Ram Air Tony)

Headers!!! TCC5 added a set to his with PRT's and it sounds really mean.Nice deep rumble to them.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:00 PM
CO_Silver_Rush
Racer

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (Slammed Vette)

OK, I'm flipping thru the Eckler's catalog now and I see these new Pacesetter headers for a lot cheaper than the B&Bs. The only difference that I can see is that they are 1 5/8" as opposed to 1 3/4" for the B&Bs. Anyone have any experience or hear these Pacesetter headers. They appear to be of equal quality as the B&Bs and are equal-length short tubes.

I don't really want to spend the money on the TPIS long tubes, and I'd like to do the work myself.

I think I'll order the Exit28 X-pipe and maybe these Pacesetter headers?? Any thoughts??

Old 08-16-2001, 12:40 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (CO_Silver_Rush)

OK, I'm flipping thru the Eckler's catalog now and I see these new Pacesetter headers for a lot cheaper than the B&Bs. The only difference that I can see is that they are 1 5/8" as opposed to 1 3/4" for the B&Bs. Anyone have any experience or hear these Pacesetter headers. They appear to be of equal quality as the B&Bs and are equal-length short tubes.

I don't really want to spend the money on the TPIS long tubes, and I'd like to do the work myself.

I think I'll order the Exit28 X-pipe and maybe these Pacesetter headers?? Any thoughts??
What are the Pacesetter headers made of? If they are not stainless steel (Like the B&Bs) you'd be wise to get them coated (if they aren't). This would add to the cost.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:20 PM
G Man
Drifting

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (wwashing)

I don't have PRT's, but with my TPIS headers, Bassani, and gutted cats, my car has a very good sound.:D
Old 08-16-2001, 05:37 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

I hear you when you say you want to keep the cats..........But why?

My 2001 Coupe "woke up" when I pulled All (4). It's just dead weight as far as I 'm concerned.I asked the same questions as you are. The factory exhaust manifold IS efficient on the 2001. Why spend any $$ on headers when it will cost you about $100 to pull the cats and about $150 for the 02 sims(required). The x-pipe is your choice... I like it.
The end result is a mean and nasty sound at WOT and NO resonance at cruising speed.

See my pics of NO cat exhaust install on my home page. Good Luck
Old 08-16-2001, 06:10 PM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

C0-Silver_Rush,

Your packge is on it's way

Thank you,

RG
Old 08-16-2001, 06:36 PM
NetJunkie
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (vstella)

One reason to keep the cats is emmission testing. I know in NC I have to pass that test..or I'd pull mine.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:03 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok, I have to say it if someone else doesn't, DEEPER AND MEANER???? Holy cow.... some of you guys REALLY go all out. :eek: :D
Old 08-17-2001, 09:45 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (Stingray1967)

I think your going to have to add a cam to get to the sound level your after. I have PRT's and TPIS and its slightly deeper but not a ton different IMHO.

Old 08-17-2001, 09:46 AM
chuckoc
Advanced

Default Re: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>> (NetJunkie)

Just so you know, An X-Pipe will reduce your sound quite a bit,(at least a Bassani) or I should say it did on mine. I have 98 with Corsa Pace, and it was sounding pretty good at WOT. So I thought 'emmmmm' an X-Pipe might make it flow/sound better. Well it must have made a big difference in the flow.

The sound dropped to what I would call closer to stock or stock with those little by-pass pipes (the little pipes that by-pass the muffler with a 1" tube for that sound of more expensive exhaust for only 49.99 from MID America)

I have heard a car with out CATS and Corsa and an X-pipe and I can't decide if that was too loud, sounded a lot like BB PRT's or BB newest offering, BB's make so much more noise then Corsa,

Either way you decide, I wish more C'5s would get much louder exhaust so the police would not see and hear a bunch of C5's making sounds like an electric car, then they hear one that sounds like an Indy car. They might wonder why and check it out. Any of you guys cops? Whats the call you would make if you heard a loud Corvette?

Get notified of new replies

To I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>>

Quick Reply: I want a meaner/deeper sounding BB PRT exhaust.....options please>>