C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can my tire be repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 02:17 PM
connellyh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can my tire be repaired?

I have 335 Pilots on the rear and one of them has a nail in it. The tire looses 3-5 pounds of pressure in 24 hrs. The nail is about 1/2 inch from the edge, too close for a patch. Fix-a-flat says not to use their product on Z (or other high speed) rated tires. Slime says their product is meant as a tempory repair for any tire used over 65mph and it can cause a balance problem. Plus, I've heard these products destroy pressure sensors. This leaves a plug. Are plugs any good? Can I plug the tire? Am I stuck with constantly airing up the tire? Is their another option?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:29 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Who told you it can't be patched? A tire shop? If so, maybe you could talk them into patch and plug. If not, plug it yourself. I plugged a hole in the relatively same position, and it held until the tread wore down enough to cause it to leak again.

Forum member, ET, said there's a steel reinforced plug on the market, if you're so inclined to hunt one down.

In etiher case, I would think a plug is better than replacing a wheel, cost wise.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I know that most people recommend the patch/plug combination.

I think a repair can be made as long as it is not passed the outside tread.

They say that you will lose 1 speed rating and that you are only allowed one patch per tire.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
connellyh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several shops and people have told me the hole is too close to the sidewall for a patch to hold. I'm going to try a plug. It's way cheaper than a new tire. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

It really does depend on how close to the sidewall the hole is. Assuming it isn't too close, this is one of the best methods of plugging a tire out there...

If you go to this site, there is some good information on plugging Z rated tires...
http://www.mz3.net/articles/156.html

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 04-24-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You could try a patch... its no worse than running around with a nail in the tire.. They sell an external plug called a super plug at Pep Boys.. it is steel reinforced and can not be cut by the tire bands.. You have a good chance of being successful because these are rear tires and see less sidewall roll than front tires. I put two of these super plugs in one rear tire and put an additional 38,000 miles on that tire with any any issue. I was conscious of the speed rating and promised myself that I would not exceed 140 mph.

Get notified of new replies

To Can my tire be repaired?

Quick Reply: Can my tire be repaired?