C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam Package - What to expect??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 10:36 AM
Y GO SLOW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/Cam Package - What to expect??

I have always played with the little bolt on mods, but I was considering making more significant mods to my 2000 c5. I have read many posts where a lot of you have made significant engine mods, my questions are:

1. Is head/cam package the best bang for the buck bigger engine mod?
2. How much should it cost?
3. I live in the Midwest, so I was thinking of either Mallet or LPE - Any prior experiences with these two?
4. What types of drivability differences will I see, MPG changes, overheating, etc.

I am inexperienced in this area, and need those of you with vast knowledge to shed some light on my situation.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-20-2001, 06:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Heads/Cam Package - What to expect?? (Y GO SLOW)

I would pick DRM if I was you. Mileage with my cam only from the Vette Doctors was better. I ran the same 35 mile road the next day with same temp and wind (none) and found two MPG increase. Never hit the brakes on each run and was set on cruise. Go see Rippie! :D
Old 08-20-2001, 06:32 PM
Y GO SLOW
Advanced

Default Re: Heads/Cam Package - What to expect?? (John Shiels)

TTT

Anyone else have some suggestions :confused: :confused:
Old 08-20-2001, 06:39 PM
theSSthatcould
Advanced

MTI , but they are in Houston.
ARE, arnt they within a 6 hour drive of you?
LPE/Malett is over priced IMO.
Definatly go to ARE. Call up Nick and talk to him, you will also get a 2 year 24 thousand mile warranty with it.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:22 PM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Hey Y GO SLOW, Dropped the 98 Pace Car at LPE saturday. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive. going to be a long 3 to 4 weeks. Toured LPE's facility and was amazed at the technology. The research and developement done by LPE and their staff stands by itself. The guys are great to work with and can build your engine to what ever level your pocket book will allow. From heads and cam to twin turbo monster. By living in the midwest you are blessed they aren't far from you. A tour of their facility will quickly convince you of their skill and experience. Plus LPE offers the 2 year 24000 mile warranty on their work. Good Luck on whatever you decide. Whiteboy :chevy :chevy :chevy
Old 08-20-2001, 10:16 PM
ledfoot
Melting Slicks

Hello-

Before I answer your questions, let me ask you one very important one.

What are you going to do with the car??

I love to race mine on the quarter mile track. With all my mods I'm averaging low 13's at 107 mph. the LPE 350 package will probably shave a second off my time but it'll cost 5700 bucks to do it.

Here's the problem with racing and horsepower.

A dog stock C5 Vette (an automatic with 2.73 gears) is a 14 second quarter mile car with an average driver. A pro could probably shave a second off that time.

Now you don't have to spend that much to shave a half second off the that time, air intake, and a pcm re-program will get you into the mid 13's. You may have spent 5-6 hundred bucks

The problem is shaving off the next half second. You're going to need power and a higher rear end/gear ratio.

Unfortunately it cost a lot more money to take a 13 second C5 into the 12's than it takes a 14 second C5 into the 13's...follow??

So based opon the above info I would say

1. Only if you plan on racing the car in a CONTROLLED enviornment. You can't put down 450+hp on the street safely. I certainly wouldn't want to be around you.

2. It depends on the tuner. But I would not take my car to anyone that wasn't established. And of course, this cost money. I choose LPE. Plan to drop at least 5k at a place like this.

3. I'm going to drive up to Decatur next week and check out the facility. I've only heard excellent things. The warranty, imho is half the cost.

4. I don't think you're going to see any noticecable changes unless you start racing the car on a track. You just cannot put that kind of power down on the street. There's no reward and there's a lot of risks.

I take my car to the track 2-3 times a month and there's a FEW street cars, out of a couple of hundred that are faster than me...and all I have is 375hp so there's a very HIGH probability that you will NEVER encounter someone on the street worth racing....unless you're looking for it and most of these guys take their cars to local tracks anyway.

Corvettes are a lot of fun. But I've learned from expreience that the most fun comes from when you can drive the car the way it likes to be driven, without endagering anyone else. So if you plan on modding, make sure you find a track that you can take the car to. This way you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Good Luck!

David In Indy :seeya
----------------
2000 NBM M6-Coupe
All Options minus F45
Euros/Lloyd Mats/Chrome Shifter/Ripper/Halltech tric/T-bypass/Taylor
Wires/TTS Headers/High Flow Cats/X-pipe/Indy Corsas/Baers/Z06
Calipers/Russell ss brake lines/Hawk Pads/Porsche DOT4 Hi-Performance Brake
fluid/Redline oils/Zaino/Engine Dress by Auto Buffs and Design Specialties
Old 08-20-2001, 10:34 PM
NBMDVM
Pro

Default Re: Heads/Cam Package - What to expect?? (ledfoot)

I have the heads/cam and 3.73 from LPE(01 mn6 coupe). The car runs perfectly and idles better than stock. post install it dynoed 365/352 rwhp/tq. Yes MTI/ARE etc are putting out bigger numbers but it all depends on what you want. Location was also a big factor for me. I was initially disappointed in the power increase, but have since added TTS long tubes and have been pleasantly surprised at the difference they have made. Iwould suspect the car is probably now at ~380-385rwhp and it is just about where I wanted it to begin with. If I had it to do over again, I would probably have waited a few years, saved my pennies and gotten a 427, but I'll probably do that anyway...
Scott

[Modified by NBMDVM, 9:35 PM 8/20/2001]
Old 08-20-2001, 10:40 PM
Nilla Ice
Safety Car

Whole new freaking motor is what it'll feel like. Depending on your cam choice, you can get 65 RWHP without screwing up emissions or having an unbearable daily driver. Go with who you feel comfortable doing business with.

Tony
Old 08-21-2001, 03:37 AM
Mako
Drifting

Go to DRM or LPE and ask for a bit hotter cam than what they usually use and with long tubes and exhaust you should be at around 410rwhp and 390rwtrq--very stout, drivable and reliable!

Expect to spend at least $7k counting the headers and dyno testing.

If you have a non-Z06 the car will feel night and day different. If you have a Z06 the car will still feel substantially stronger. If you are a power adict like me, get a 427.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:23 PM
Y GO SLOW
Advanced

Default Re: Heads/Cam Package - What to expect?? (Mako)

Guys, thank you all for the info. Never making a big mod like this I am trying to do my homework. :crazy:

ledfot - my intent is mainly to have a real fun daily driver, but I have to admit, I do love the power...more the better. But I do realize that only so much of that can be used on the street. It seems that many of you do feel a noticable pickup in "fun factor" on the street, without losing too much drivability. And for 5k plus it had better be fun. I do take some runs down the track, but that's not my main intent.

It seems pretty common from what I have read that most people having this done are seeing anywhere from 50 to 80 rwhp, is that true?? :confused:

I am still doing my research, so the more info all of you have the better. It is greatly appreciated.

Still amazed everyday on how much knowledge this forum brings to the table - AWESOME!!!!

Thanks Guys
Old 08-23-2001, 04:41 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Hello Slow,

Performance Technical Center in Elk Grove Village, IL is one of the few places in the country doing superchargers for the C5. Geoff is the owner and many on this board know of him and his shop. He is not cheap but doesn't charge as much as LPE either and stands behind his work. People bring him C5's from all over the country. His number is 847-228-7256. He SAVED my car after a crappy 'local' shop GRENADED my motor over a 'simple' cam swap. I would be happy to talk to you privately, just email me and I will send you my phone number. Geoff could get you to 400 rwhp EASY (on a 6 spd) and you could use parts of your choice. My suggestion would be to go with either MTI Stage 2 heads and cam package or CARTEK stage 2 heads and cam, TPIS long tube headers, underdrive pully, ls6 intake if you don't already have it, You would be around 6k installed for 400 reliable RWHP. LPE rates their packages in BHP so when they say a package is 420 hp that is NOT at the rear wheels.
Lingenfelter is a GREAT company, I got my new short block from them. However, I feel that PTC would do just as good a job, charge less on the install, and give you the freedom to pick and choose what parts you want to go with, along with giving advice for your application. Why not get the best value for you money along with quality work (As well as the most HP!) Anyway, I am not affiliated with PTC in ANY way, I just am a grateful customer. Good luck on whatever you decide, at least you are smarter than I am, I researched the PARTS extensively, and like a dumba** went to a local shop and didn't do my homework. PTC bailed me out, I wish I would have went there to start with.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads/Cam Package - What to expect??

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam Package - What to expect??