C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking Shocks F45 Option

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:09 PM
NorthernRacer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Shocks F45 Option

My 99 convertible has the electronic shock adjustment on the console; when it is set in any mode and driving slow over speed bumps both front and rear suspension let out a real groan and squeak. The dealer put it up on a hoist and pulled up and down on the cross bar to recreate the noise. The shocks perform fine but the squeak definitely comes from the shocks. We tried to lubricate the bushing but the noise did not stop. Replacing the shock seems dumb for just a squeak but there does not appear to be any way to lubricate things enough to stop the noise. Any suggestions or similar problems with these shocks. Everything is stock at the moment.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 AM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

My F45 suspension squeeks also, but I am sure that it is the rear sway bar bushings. I'd try lubing these first before replacing the shocks.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:59 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet if you take the bushings off the sway bars, front and rear, silicone grease the inside of the bushings, grease the sway bars where the bushings fit, reassemble, you'll find out that your shocks will stop squeeking.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:36 PM
NorthernRacer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice; going to give the bushings a shot; I will let you know what comes of it.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:59 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Just curious, was it the sway bushings or those on the shock? I've had a thud coming from the RR area, and found the upper shock bushing torn today.

The follow up question is where could I buy an upper bushing for rear Bilstein Sport shocks?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:40 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alanh
I'll bet if you take the bushings off the sway bars, front and rear, silicone grease the inside of the bushings, grease the sway bars where the bushings fit, reassemble, you'll find out that your shocks will stop squeeking.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaking Shocks F45 Option

Quick Reply: Squeaking Shocks F45 Option