C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techron Fuel System Cleaner...is This A Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
TpaVert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the gas guage issues as well and after reading up on this issue I started running almost exclusively chevron gas and running a bottle of techron every 3 to 5k and no issues and the car runs better than ever. When I was first having the problem, I had been running sunoco consistently.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:22 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TpaVert
I went through the gas guage issues as well and after reading up on this issue I started running almost exclusively chevron gas and running a bottle of techron every 3 to 5k and no issues and the car runs better than ever. When I was first having the problem, I had been running sunoco consistently.
well you know what? I never had that problem of fuel gauge dropping to 0 ,,,yesterday I added a 12 oz bottle of techron to 13 gallons of chevron and ,,,kaboom gas gauge after some miles drop to 0 check gages came of course although fuel tank has enough fuel sending unit reads 0 I just added techron fuel system cleaner to clean the injectors etc,,,,but what a f.... after a few miles gas gauge drop to zero,,,i think just to add techron cleaner just if you have gas gauge serious problem I don't understand why if techron if for clean fuel system why do the gas gauge works bad,,,
Old 10-28-2014, 08:11 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M
Isn't it interesting that Exxon/Mobil, the largest oil company (I believe), doesn't meet top tier requirements. You'd think with all of their billions in profits they could see fit to meet the requirements.

Jim M
Exxon and Mobil are on the top tier list...
Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Bluemill
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default My experience was the opposite...

About a year ago, with about 3/8 tank left, the DIC started going nuts, saying I was out of fuel, PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY, and the guage was at 0. I had been lazy and cheap with no name gas for many tanks in a row, without any Techron also for quite a while.

That night I did a thorough search and I kept coming back to " try top tier and or Techron". That morning I got a 20 oz. bottle and threw it on top of just the 3/8 tank of gas, and went to play golf. Later that day I decided to take it to a local Shell station to give it a V Power feast. The gas guage came right back on, before the new gas went in- it works!

On the other hand, I would NOT use it all the time, like once or twice an oil change, because it can harm your oil viscosity- like too much of a good thing, is a bad thing!

Now top tier includes BP, Mobil, Exxon, Shell and Phillips 66, all of which we can get in the Boston area, while just a year ago only Shell fit the bill for us up here.

Best always,

Bluemill

Quick Reply: Techron Fuel System Cleaner...is This A Bad Idea?