C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 04:55 PM
juser250
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............

ok so i just got my bypass like 10 min. ago and i am installing it as we speak, i have the C5solutions kit but i can not finnish step 9 because i can not get the wheel to unlock,,, any sugs pleace feel free to help thanx
Old 09-11-2001, 06:08 PM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'08-'10-'11

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (juser250)

I think it would help if you would elaborate. Are you saying that you cannot disengage the lock with the supplied 12V adapter and bare wires or that you are trying to do so, and that the lock will not disengage?
Old 09-11-2001, 07:14 PM
juser250
Instructor

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (JT-C5)

Yea that is correct i cannot get the lock to dissengage useing that v12 thing etc etc i followed the directions and still nothing happened when i put it in
thanks
Ian
Old 09-11-2001, 07:57 PM
99 The Hard Way
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (juser250)

Ian- I had that problem with mine. I had to pry it back with a screwdriver & small pry bar. Sounds bad, i know, but I didn't want to buy a new one. I would just be bypassing it anyway. Once i got it back far enough so that it didn't touch the column, I cut the wires to it so it won't ever move again. Finished with the bypass install, and no codes. Hope this helps- SCOTT
Old 09-11-2001, 07:58 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Get a voltmeter and check the 12V vires for voltage. If you accidentlt touched the wrong thing, you may have blown a fuse.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:26 PM
MySea6
Melting Slicks

We have seen several of the 12V adaptors that were bad.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:34 PM
UR2SLW
Burning Brakes

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (MySea5)

I had the same problem with mine. I blew a fuse replaced it and it worked the second time. Although I must admit that I did touch the wires to the mail part not the female part the first time. I read the instructions several times and still did this. Just a suggestion but make sure it is the female connector that you are touching.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:31 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (UR2SLW)

The fuse is not very stout - usually, activating the lock will blow the fuse.

Also, make sure your lighter works (mine doesn't), and use the aux power adaper in the console if not.

One other tip: don't expose more than about 1/8" of copper wire; it's much easier to make the connection with a very short contact.

[Modified by steve hummel, 6:32 PM 9/11/2001]
Old 09-12-2001, 03:52 PM
juser250
Instructor

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (steve hummel)

first time i toched the two wires from the 12v and the fuse went, then i put a piece of foil from were the fuse was because i had no more fuses, the light lights up, so there is power and if i touch the two white and blck wires to gether it will spark so I think it has power, ok i am putting it to the female part that hangs right, still no unlock??????? i need my car it has been 4 days withouit it.... thanx
Old 09-12-2001, 04:21 PM
MDT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (steve hummel)

One other tip: don't expose more than about 1/8" of copper wire; it's much easier to make the connection with a very short contact.
You're right, Steve.

In addition, I would add; use some solder to "tin" the 1/8" exposed multistranded wire.

Mark
Old 09-12-2001, 04:28 PM
StrtracerX
Racer

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (MDT)

Just keep yanking the wheel to the right very hard with the car started.. then turn the car off.. Keep doing this.. eventually you will hear the column unlock.. Mine just did it a hour ago.. i got it to work...

X
Old 09-13-2001, 01:09 AM
juser250
Instructor

Default Re: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............ (StrtracerX)

OK i just got it, PROPS . I unhoocked my bat. and left it unhoocked for about 30min. and i hoocked it back up. then i started the car and yanked the wheel and i got it. YEA!!!!!!! It Works so i plugged in my thing and put it back to gether and pulled the 2 fuses and now it is all good.
thanx 4 all the help u all gave me..
IAN

Get notified of new replies

To All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............

Quick Reply: All Of MY PROBLEMS Solved by colmn lock bypass BUT i still can not ............