C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proactive HUD actions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 05:03 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Default Proactive HUD actions

Is there anything an owner can do to help prevent the HUD from failing/falling down. One thing I'm thinking is to never park in the sun without a white towel over the opening??????????????

Old 03-22-2020, 08:01 AM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

I'm not familiar with C5's HUD specifically BUT I do know a thing or 100 about the design of HUD's.
Sun loading fades and degrades materials. Also interior temps will speed ageing. So the more you can keep it out of the hot sunny days the longer it will last.

If forced to park in hot sunny days I'd suggest lowering the windows 1/2" and putting something dense over the HUD that doesn't absorb heat as much and dissipates it well. Like a light colored towel.
(I grew up in Fla and have seen many sun fade problems. And I work daily with interior automotive test specs)

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 03-22-2020 at 08:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OregonDan (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 10:49 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I believe it's the sun stress making the plastic parts brittle and when you hit a rough road(large bumps) the pins break ????
The following users liked this post:
OregonDan (03-22-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

My Vert sits outside 24/7. As a result, I have taken some preventative measures to keep the sun off the dash and lower the temp inside. I have a dash pad (ZIP # X-2158) that covers the HUD (that I never use) opening, have a top only white reflective covering (California Pop Top) and I lower my windows about an inch year round when parked for the day for ventilation purposes.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:15 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I have the main HUD complaint, the image is too low, because the mirror support is broken . I read in a post this is because people lower their cars and the rough ride breaks the plastic mirror pivot support.

Which made sense to me, since my used convertible came with both. I never considered the sunlight and heat effects with anything beyond the normal concerns that would effect the other dash displays, but I think it is worth noting the HUD is a unique situation, as the cars get older. Makes since about sunlight being a potential preservation concern.

I remember a radio guy, Paul Harvey, telling a story of a contractor who had his truck catch fire, after a faceted glass ball decoration hanging from his rear view mirror , focused sunlight on a stack of papers on the seat and caught them afire. The mirror hanger was a thank you from his insurance agent.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:17 AM
02torchred
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it or doing anything extra to prevent it, that all sounds exhausting.

Yes more exhausting that having it fail lol

It's actually better to have it fail, because once it's fixed it will never break again. It's quite the peace of mind to be honest, because the way you repair them is so much more reliable.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:55 PM
Fast Jimmy
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Would you care to enlighten us on that repair?
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Proactive HUD actions

Quick Reply: Proactive HUD actions