C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Parts Direct rotors? Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 AM
viper punisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Parts Direct rotors? Opinions

They are listing rotors for $53.15 each drilled and slotted. Anyone used them? How long did it take to recieve?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:42 AM
axikowboy
Instructor

I am assuming you are getting them mostly for aesthetic reasons, and I don't think those are zinc washed. So you will still have a lot of rust.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by axikowboy
I am assuming you are getting them mostly for aesthetic reasons, and I don't think those are zinc washed. So you will still have a lot of rust.

they are not zinc dipped and will show rust (if that's important to the thread originator).
Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

just as a FYI

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel

Here is direct quote from Tirerack

"IMPORTANT REMINDER: Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.

While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if any products are used on the track they are not warrantable."

Here is a quote from S2K website

"A few words about drilled/slotted rotors… These are supposed to make your brakes more effective because they presumably cool better than solid rotors. While this is probably somewhat true, these should almost never be used in performance applications. A drilled rotor is a weakened rotor and is much more likely to crack under high temperature conditions. The holes also reduce the surface space for the pads to make contact with and therefore reduce friction. (stopping power) While slotted rotors are definitely stronger than their drilled counterparts, they too offer the disadvantage of reduced surface area and therefore less stopping power. For high performance/racing applications, solid OEM rotors will stop you as well or better than just about anything out there.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:00 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine on last winter....after painting the hats and the outer edge of the rotors. I rec'd mine in about 2 weeks a year ago when I actually
bought them from GMparts. I also got the A/C Delco ceramic pads too.
I love the whole combination for cruisin' and the occasional mountain run. I don't race.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by fixvet
I put mine on last winter....after painting the hats and the outer edge of the rotors. I rec'd mine in about 2 weeks a year ago when I actually
bought them from GMparts. I also got the A/C Delco ceramic pads too.
I love the whole combination for cruisin' and the occasional mountain run. I don't race.

they look good.....
Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Joevette99
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Just Installed them

Just had them installed. I painted hats with 1200 degree. then baked between coats on my asphalt driveway. Placed them on an aluminum backed insulation. Temperature got to 160 here in N.J. Pictures show where rust develops immediately., golden rings. So if you wish to avoid rust, paint the hats. I painted entire hat also where wheel mounts to hat.

Good price but do paint them if this means anything to you. P.S> before you put them on the car. I also went with ceramic pads.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 PM
viper punisher
Instructor

I painted the original stock ones after they started to rust. I will paint the new ones. I couldnt find the part # for the stock rotors on GM parts Direct? Anyone have it and the price?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:35 PM
ILM-Express
MFIC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by viper punisher
They are listing rotors for $53.15 each drilled and slotted. Anyone used them?

Last edited by ILM-Express; 07-22-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Taxin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

any problems with warpage?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:59 AM
viper punisher
Instructor

Yeah, that's what I really want to know. I can warp a set of rotors quick! Stop's from the right side of the speedo are my problem.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:37 PM
beearthwise
Intermediate

Nice bling but the suck because of the rust. I taped and painted the hats but did not tape far enough up onto the rotor so ther is a rust band between the hat and edge of the pad. Also the outside edge and vent area rusts. I woud not get them again.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:25 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

You can get zinc coated after market ones for the same price if not cheaper. I just put them on my car, they look great. No rust 2 months in Florida.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:41 AM
viper punisher
Instructor

Originally Posted by pauly1119
You can get zinc coated after market ones for the same price if not cheaper. I just put them on my car, they look great. No rust 2 months in Florida.
So give us the link, cause im needin' some Fred Flinstones!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 AM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

Hello, copy and paste this. it is from Ebay. I have purchased a few of these sets and they have been great. Just make sure you purchase from someone with a good feeback. Go to Ebay motors go to the bottom to corvettes click it and go to the bottom right and click C5 parts.

I'm not sure if the URL worked......this is the item # 290010733938
Old 07-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Bob25thTA
Instructor

Wicked Weasel:

Do you think everyone who owns a C6 should chage to solid rotors before taking it on a track or do you think GM nows what they are doing?

I would not recommend the swiss cheese rotors but a few of us with drilled and slotted GM rotors and PFC Z-rated pads have used them at track events with no problems, and in my opinion they do stop better on the road and on the track.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:08 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Bob25thTA
Wicked Weasel:

Do you think everyone who owns a C6 should chage to solid rotors before taking it on a track or do you think GM nows what they are doing?

I would not recommend the swiss cheese rotors but a few of us with drilled and slotted GM rotors and PFC Z-rated pads have used them at track events with no problems, and in my opinion they do stop better on the road and on the track.
I've stayed with solid rotors since I got my car, and I do HPDE's with it. As WW's reply pointed out, there is less surface area in a drilled, or slotted rotor, less surface area is less mass the pads can grab on to for stopping you. The slots were originally cut in the rotors because of the noxious gasses that were produced by using pads that weremade with asbestos materials. The holes are for cooling. If you run with pads that haven't any asbestos, and use brake cooling ducts, no gas/little heat problems. If you do a proper cool down lap, no cracked rotors(usually)

Get notified of new replies

To GM Parts Direct rotors? Opinions

Quick Reply: GM Parts Direct rotors? Opinions