C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible grinding from rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:50 AM
noran01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horrible grinding from rear

So i have been noticing that the rear of my car has been grinding a little and making all kinds of wierd noises. I am calling tomorrow to schedule a time to bring it in (not my daily-driver), but wanted to run a few things by you guys first.

Besides the grinding noises when making turns at a slow speed and slow acceleration, i went to do a burn out the other night for my friends nephew (i know, i know), nothing crazy, just a little smoke for the little guy and when i tried all i heard was a grinding/clicking type noise from the rear. I have done my share of burnouts in my day and something is definately wrong here. Its most likely the rear-end right? I don't notice any leaks on my garage floor (where the car stays most of the time), and i really do baby it when i drive it.

Its an '04 A4 with 13k on it. All stock.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:02 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Did you have the diff serviced recently? It sounds like the diff fluid needs some GM limited slip additive added to it. Without it the clutches in the LSD will grab and release, causing a banging/grinding sound.

Or it could be something ugly...

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-27-2006, 11:34 AM
noran01
Burning Brakes

No, since i owned it i have never had it serviced yet for anything. It was hard finding a reputable shop on Long Island. I didn't buy the GMPP warranty yet either.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:53 PM
noran01
Burning Brakes

anyone else? This should be covered under warranty right?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:45 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Certainly should be. Of course, then you're back to that "reputable dealer" issue.

Surely there's one somewhere within 100 mi. of your home that you'd feel comfortable with.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-27-2006, 11:25 PM
mtdriver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 04 coupe with the same type of thing going. Slow turns, especially when doing a 360 degree circle I hear a grinding or rubbing noise from the rear end. I looked underneath it and it appears that there is the start of a small oil leak from somewhere. The car is going in to the shop on Thursday to get checked out.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:44 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Should be under warrenty.

The Vette Doctor's are in Long Island. Get them to check it out
Old 06-28-2006, 09:51 PM
noran01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Should be under warrenty.

The Vette Doctor's are in Long Island. Get them to check it out
Would they be able to cover a factory warranty though? I don't have the extended GMPP one yet; still only 3 year 36k
Old 06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Rockin'M
Instructor

I've had the same problem w/ my 04' A4 Coupe - grinding and leaking rear diff fluid. First trip to dealer resulted in new seal on diff and replacing all fluid. Grinding noise came back after a few weeks. Second trip to dealer resulted in new cluth assemblies for the rear. It's only been fixed about 6 or 7 weeks so far, but the noise has dissappeared and no leaking diff. I hope that is the end of it - my warranty is up in 2 months and i'm getting an extended one from someone, probably Warranty Direct based on recomendations from the forum.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:37 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like something wrong with the posi unit in the rear. Defently take it to the dealer if you have a warranty.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:46 PM
mtdriver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update. The dealership said I need a new transaxel housing to fix the minor leak. They ordered one and it will be replaced under warranty. The noise I hear when doing a 360 degree turn, according to their corvette mechanic, is supposed to be common to C5's. Anybody ever heard of that before? I'm making them note the noise complaint and their answer on the paper work so I have some leverage later on if it turns out to be a problem.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:08 AM
next victim
Instructor

Originally Posted by RED99
Sounds like something wrong with the posi unit in the rear. Defently take it to the dealer if you have a warranty.
Sounds like your rear gear might have come loose, they have shims to adjust this, might just need that adjusted, but if it begins to grind loudly i wouldnt suggest driving it as you could destroy the gears and posi. You could just call chevy, give them your vin number and they will tell you when you warranty is good till and if its still in effect this should be covered.

Get notified of new replies

To Horrible grinding from rear

Quick Reply: Horrible grinding from rear