C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone replace a rocker panel on a c5 before?

Old 11-01-2006, 10:49 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone replace a rocker panel on a c5 before?

Just curious if anyone has replaced the entire rocker panel assebly on a c5 before? How hard was it? I understand they a glued to the frame correct?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:49 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Never done it, but yeah their glued on. Looks like a pain...
Old 11-02-2006, 12:53 AM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked into a body shop needs to do it.

Cheers!!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:20 AM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Any reason a shop NEEDS to do it? I am more than your average at home mechanic. Whats so hard about it? I would assume you cut away the old panel, and glue in the new one, just make sure it is alligned correctly. Am I missing somthing?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:35 AM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider getting yourself the shop manuals for your car - they provide some pretty decent info about what steps / procedures are done for replacing various body panels. They are also great for working on your car.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Express
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

The book time to replace the rocker panel is 6.0 hrs with the quarter panel removed. To remove and install the quarter panel is 2.4 hours. The paint time on the rocker panel is 1.8 hours plus clear coat.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:30 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Express
The book time to replace the rocker panel is 6.0 hrs with the quarter panel removed. To remove and install the quarter panel is 2.4 hours. The paint time on the rocker panel is 1.8 hours plus clear coat.
"book" time which I think we all know is BS. I could pop off that quarter panel in 35 minutes. I think I will pick up a shop book for the car and look into it a little more.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

anyone?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can add is that when I went to my local body shop (who has done work previously on my vette) about repair vs. replacement of my rocker panel, damaged by an off-track incident, I was told that replacement would cost significantly more than having the existing panel repaired. As stated above, I was told that the rocker assy is bonded to the frame, to get at it you need to remove the rear quarter panel and the door (maybe more). I forgot how they said they would get the existing rocker assy off (cut it out?). It's a lot more involved than just un-screwing panel fasteners.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:33 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joemoia
All I can add is that when I went to my local body shop (who has done work previously on my vette) about repair vs. replacement of my rocker panel, damaged by an off-track incident, I was told that replacement would cost significantly more than having the existing panel repaired. As stated above, I was told that the rocker assy is bonded to the frame, to get at it you need to remove the rear quarter panel and the door (maybe more). I forgot how they said they would get the existing rocker assy off (cut it out?). It's a lot more involved than just un-screwing panel fasteners.
I understand that. My door and quarter need to be replaced as well so removing them is no big deal. The rocker is done for, if it was a scrape or a crack I would repair it. However the entire door jam is cracked. I appreciate the info everyone, guess I just need to check out the repair book.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Get out the heat gun and the sawzall!! I have replaced both sides on my last build and it is a PITA! If you can - section in the damaged part it is easier than replacing the whole part and the GM bible suggest just that..You can find the procedure on the GM site somewhere..And use the recomended glues..HTH
-Joe
Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

This is the damage.

Do recall exactly whare it is glued? I think the damage goes to far to section it, but I guess its worth a shot.

Also how hard was it to allign the new panel? Is it only help on by glue? or are there a few bolts that are used to help allign it?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Well that whole area around the door striker there is where the most glue is.. I might be inclined to try a repair myself.. if not you have to section in that whole lock pillar section down to the horizontal part..To bad I have rear section for the RIGHT side..Is that custom paint ??
-Joe
Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JVetthead
Well that whole area around the door striker there is where the most glue is.. I might be inclined to try a repair myself.. if not you have to section in that whole lock pillar section down to the horizontal part..To bad I have rear section for the RIGHT side..Is that custom paint ??
-Joe

no, its regular old quicksilver. I supose that damage could be repaired using the smc bonding stuff, but I am thinking after all the work that would take to make it look perfect it might just be easier and faster to replace the whole thing.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:44 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Yep, Maybe so, the part is about $170...Be sure your bodyman knows Vettes..
Old 11-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Is this a Z06? If so the repair gets very costly. To get the quarter off you have to remove the roof.

If I were you I would pull the inner fender well out and see how much the rocker moves once that stiffner is out of the way. You may be able to line the crack up better and get some glass mat behind it to hold it in place. Then fill/smooth the outside and repaint. While you are in there take some rope caulk and use it to fill the holes in the rocker where the tabs in the quarter fit into the rocker. This will keep those little stones out of the crack between the quarter and rocker.

Here are the directions for removing the panel (sorry can't past pictures):

Door Opening Frame Replacement - Side
Removal Procedure

Remove all panels and components to gain access to door side frame. The door side frame can be removed if the quarter panel is loosened from it. This may include removal of the following components:
Door.
quarter panel.
quarter inner splash shield.
Remove latch striker closeout cover and striker.
Remove the trim screws that attach the side door frame panel to the rail. These screws must be re-installed to secure the service panel in place until the adhesive cures.

Important
Make sure the fuel inlet is sealed before proceeding with repair procedure.

Important
Use caution along the underside of the vehicle when applying heat not to de-bond the floor panels from the frame rail.

Apply heat and pry to break bond along area (1).
Installation Procedure
Remove all remaining adhesive, and scuff all bonding surfaces to ensure proper adhesion.
Clean and prepare all bonding surfaces as necessary.
Prime all bare metal surfaces with PPGs DP90, or an equivalent epoxy anti-corrosion primer. Do not top-coat any bonding surface.
Temporarily fit the side door opening assembly to ensure proper fit and alignment with adjacent panels.

Important
Use US Chemical and Plastics 82007B System 2000 Structural Adhesive, a PLIOGRIP® Adhesive manufactured by Ashland Chemical Company, or equivalent. Note the 30 minute working time and 2½ to 3 hour cure time.

Remove panel assembly and apply a consistent bead of adhesive to the front body hinge pillar and top surface of rail and to all areas originally bonded, except for bottom side of rail.
The bead should be 10 mm in diameter.

This area is bonded after the side door opening assembly is installed.

Install assembly using original screws in factory locations. The screws are necessary to secure the service part until the adhesive cures.

Important
Ensure that the foam seal on the front body hinge pillar portion of the side door opening panel makes contact with the front hinge pillar.

Apply adhesive to inner edge of rocker and clamp in place until adhesive cures. Standoffs in part must fit flush against bottom of rail.
Remove excess adhesive squeeze-out and allow to cure.
Prime bare metal areas with PPGs DP90, or an equivalent epoxy anti-corrosion primer. Do not combine paint systems. Always refer to paint manufacturer's recommendations.
Install all related panels and components.

Bill
Old 11-03-2006, 08:07 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Is this a Z06? If so the repair gets very costly. To get the quarter off you have to remove the roof.
The roof does not need to come off on a Z06, the service manual says to slot the quarter panel screw holes to remove the quarter panel and then to slot the screw holes on the replacement panel as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone replace a rocker panel on a c5 before?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 AM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FFR-Z06
<snip> the service manual says to slot the quarter panel screw holes to remove the quarter panel and then to slot the screw holes on the replacement panel as well.
Not exactly true, but close. The problem is you can not access those screws with the top and quarter in place on the Z06. GM screws the quarters on then glues the top on covering 5 (two on one side and three on the other) screws. The electronic manual says to cut the quarter in half, then cut the lip at the top which will give access to those screws with the top still in place. But with those instructions you obviously need a new quarter. I have seen quarters removed by forcing the quarter out from under the screws which breaks the top of the quarter but it is still reusable. The manuals state to replace you slot the top of the quarter, adjust the screw where the quarter will slid under it, then apply the glue to the screw and quarter and slid it together. Then the glue holds the quarter not the screws.

I have to say this is the fist car I have ever seen engineered where you have to cut the car into pieces to replace something as sample as a fender! Way to go GM!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The worst problem with these rockers is they are GLUED on VERY well! They wrap around the frame and are glued to the top and bottom of the frame rail, then they are glued all the way up the back with lots of glue. The rocker slides up under the front piece which goes up around the door hinges which makes it very hard to remove without damaging the front piece too.

It looks like your damage can be repaired fairly easy. The busted SMC patches fairly well. You should be able to add some support behind that damage to help strengthen it some if needed. Best part is since it is inside the door it don't have to be perfect.

Good luck
Old 11-05-2006, 04:09 AM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SpeedyZ
Best part is since it is inside the door it don't have to be perfect.

Good luck

ummm.. yes it does

Thanks bill for posting that info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone replace a rocker panel on a c5 before?