C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of Remote Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:22 PM
sffish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Location of Remote Receiver

Can anyone tell me the location of the receiver that gets the signal from the key fob to lock/unlock the door/trunk. My key fobs don't work (both of them). I've tried resynchronizing and they still don't work. I suspect that it's the receiving unit for the key fob remote and would like to take a look at it at the very least (perhaps it's a loose wire or antenna). Thanks.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:47 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sffish
Can anyone tell me the location of the receiver that gets the signal from the key fob to lock/unlock the door/trunk. My key fobs don't work (both of them). I've tried resynchronizing and they still don't work. I suspect that it's the receiving unit for the key fob remote and would like to take a look at it at the very least (perhaps it's a loose wire or antenna). Thanks.
I recall that the receiver is on the driver's side. If you remove the trunk molding on the driver's side of the hatch area, the module is located in there.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Acer288
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to pull off this molding and only saw the release for the gas cap. Am I close? I am always nervous about pulling off moldings in the event that I can't get them to go back in just right.

My symptoms are:
1) One day the FOB just will not open anything. No panic, doors, trunk, anything. (Fob Batteries are 4 months old)
2) Tried 7 sec reset near the car. Nothing.
3) Tried other FOB. Nothing.
4) Tried the full resync from the instrument panel. The car went through the steps fine, but never recognized the FOB.

I am thinking that the receiver is dead or the antenna disconnected. I need the following if you would be so kind - Location of receiver. Possible fuse issues. Antenna location. Magic wand.

2000 LS1 Vette
Corsa Exhaust
29k miles

Thank you in advance.
Acer288
Old 09-21-2006, 12:13 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tested the batteries in both FOB's?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Acer288
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sigh... I figured how could both my FOBs with only 4 months on the batteries go dead at exactly the same time. This is further puzzling as one of the FOBs nevers leaves a drawer in the kitchen. After reading timemender's post I started thinking that this would be possible if they emitted a continious, or "chirped" pulse to stay sync'd with the vehicle. I am not sure if this is true, it just makes sense to me.

Long story short, I changed the battery in my main FOB and it works as good as new. Thanks for the magic wand timemender.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:42 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I'm having trouble with my tire pressure monitor, and I believe that is shares the reciever with the key fobs. It IS located in the left rear quarter panel, and you have to remove the LH side interior trim.

I tried to get the panel(s) off, but the first obstacle was a "tinnerman nut" (like the ones that the factory puts on brake drums and rotors), as well as an awkward working position. I'm going to try again over the weekend.

I'm hoping my problem is also something like a loose/corroded connection. IIRC, the receiver module is a $75-80 part.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Lestat52
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The receiver is located behind the side trim panel on the drivers side. The trim panel is held in place with 2 sided tape or something like that along the top where it meets the body panel. You have to take a knife or similar and slide between the body panel and the trim panel to remove it. Once that is out you will see the receiver along the top of the body.

The receiver is over $200 for the part. You should have a message on the DIC that there is no communication. More likely your fobs are bad.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:53 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Switch the "Passive" switch on both FOBS to the "OFF" position and leave them there.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Lestat52
The receiver is located behind the side trim panel on the drivers side. The trim panel is held in place with 2 sided tape or something like that along the top where it meets the body panel. You have to take a knife or similar and slide between the body panel and the trim panel to remove it. Once that is out you will see the receiver along the top of the body.

The receiver is over $200 for the part. You should have a message on the DIC that there is no communication. More likely your fobs are bad.

Since I just can't get my TPM sensors to properly "link up" to the car, I'm going to take a stab at it, and replace the receiver. $75 shipped, from Fred Beans's parts department. (For an '01)
Old 06-21-2016, 10:47 AM
galmarode
2nd Gear

fobs are good antenna was replaced. what's next to try c5 tpm works fine

Last edited by galmarode; 06-21-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Since I just can't get my TPM sensors to properly "link up" to the car, I'm going to take a stab at it, and replace the receiver. $75 shipped, from Fred Beans's parts department. (For an '01)
TPMS batteries go bad over time. They may be too weak to work.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 AM
Wesson58
3rd Gear

I bought a used 03 corvette from a Chevy dealer. Since day 1 the fob didn't work unless you were within 5 feet of the car even after changing the batteries in both fobs and reprogramming them. I found this old thread when I was searching common issues on google. So I feel others are going to see this still. I purchased invisible glass because I wanted something safe to clean my tinted windows. This product worked phenomenally. After doing so, my key fob now works from very far distances. My guess is some kind of invisible film must have been on the glass. I don't know if it's from age or people using windex. Or maybe there is something in invisible glass that helps almost like an antenna. I'm curious if anyone would know why and also to try it.

Get notified of new replies

To Location of Remote Receiver

Quick Reply: Location of Remote Receiver