C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 01:59 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it!

Well after testing and tuning this mod I have finished it up and am super happy with the results: in appearance and with the track results.

I have driven in pouring down rain for a week straight and have yet to see ANY condensation or moisture in the "Vortex Box" itself. :cheers: I did collect a "very small" puddle of water at the base of the tube (buildup from driving behind traffic in hard rain) - so I cut (with a razor) two small slits horizontally in the tube "entry" area for proper drainage just for precaution.

If any you guys want to have the best of both worlds (Vortex + Cold Air Intake System and be "Fairly Safe" around water) I would highly reccomend this setup.

The track results - I have (thus far) gained a .10+ in the 1/4 mile and added two MPH to my trap speed. :D Friday afternoon I had to disconnect my battery, thus resetting my computer (concerning another mod project) and lost the "long term" computer mappings I had established while driving the car all week. So, with each run the car "appeared" to get faster and faster! :cheers:

Have a look at the time slips.... :yesnod:

[Modified by bparker, 10:04 PM 9/15/2001]
Old 09-09-2001, 02:04 AM
bruce1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it! (bparker)

Nice MOD.
:D

I like
Old 09-09-2001, 05:32 AM
vette.se
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it! (bparker)

bparker,

Congrats to your new great track times ! It was interesting to see that this mod made a measurable difference. I only felt that the car was stronger at higher rpm's but had no chance to do any measurements.
Where did I see that mod the first time :D :D Please be aware of my world wide patent ... just kidding, great work, which tube sizing did you choose ? I used 80mm tubing I think it's about 3 1/4 inch.

[Modified by seanr, 12:00 PM 9/9/2001]
Old 09-09-2001, 05:45 AM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice mod, isn´t it???? :D

Congrats for that times!!!

Michael
Old 09-09-2001, 09:37 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

bparker - nice setup, I've been thinking about doing something similiar....seanr has already done it a while back and got the instructions from him

I'm assuming you installed the vortex normally other than the "fog piping"

very nice times....I hope I can crack the 12s one of these days :D:D:D

Mark
Old 09-09-2001, 03:05 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it! (seanr)

seanr agreed - the biggest "noticable" difference is in the higher rpms - due to a semi-ramming affect within the tubes... The car will lift the front end at higher speeds now where as before it did nothing but surge forward.. so you can definetly feel the extra pull :D

Yes - thank you for the inspiration to do this mod - cause when I saw yours I instantly new how to complete it as I had been wanting to do this for about 6 months now (before I saw your pic). I used 4" tubing - duno what that is in mm but I think it will be about 3/4" larger than 80mm tubes....

Mean Green 2000 no I did not install it normally - as, I DID NOT cut the shroud. My box is sealed against the shroud and the only path for air is through the 4" tubes .. :D Again - I wanted to keep all possible mositure away from the air filter.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments,

BP
Old 09-09-2001, 03:18 PM
retrovette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Vortex Mod

BP, just had the Vortex Mod done on my 2001. Never gave a thought to NOT cutting the shroud. Wish I had read this b/4 I had it done. Makes a lot of sence to me, I do worry about water now that I have it done. Also have Corsa Indy mufflers on now and am looling forward to doing some ot the thing you have done to yours. I will pay more attention in the future b/4 I have some thing done on the Vette. Thanks.
Charlie
Old 09-09-2001, 03:24 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod (retrovette)

:D Yea - I dont follow directions very well .. :lol: and I always seem to cut my own path in life .. so thats what I ended up with ... :cheers:

BP, just had the Vortex Mod done on my 2001. Never gave a thought to NOT cutting the shroud.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:33 PM
NetJunkie
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Vortex Mod (bparker)

Any chance of you doing some detailed instructions? Love to see that.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:59 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod (NetJunkie)

Its so simple it doesnt need destructions. :lol:

1. Get a Vortex
2. Get tubing (I got mine form Lowes)
3. Cut Holes in the vortex box
4. Cut holes in your fog light shrouds
5. install vortex - (dont cut the shroud or skip that part)
6. insert tubes
7. install ZO6 Screens if you have them

and whala! your done..

Any chance of you doing some detailed instructions? Love to see that.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:44 AM
vette.se
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vortex Mod (bparker)

bparker,

Have you been thinking about cutting the shroud as well ? My car had the Vortex installed the normal way to begin with. After adding the tubes from the foglight area it felt stronger at higher rpms and I still have the shroud cut, maybe it's just my imagination I think that the optimum airflow to the filter should be by feeding it from the tubes + from the shroud opening. My $0.02
Old 09-11-2001, 11:04 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod (seanr)

No, I thought about it and didnt want to expose the filter to any "possibilities" of digesting any mositure.. I was the 1in1000 that had problems with moisture with the last one that I had .. :(

Have you been thinking about cutting the shroud as well ? My car had the Vortex installed the normal way to begin with.
Old 09-14-2001, 03:45 PM
Eric94
Drifting

Nicely done BP! :cool: I didn't realize that you weren't going to cut the shroud. I thought you had to cut it in order to mount it with the clips or whatever.
Old 09-14-2001, 08:41 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it! (Eric94)

Nicely done BP! :cool: I didn't realize that you weren't going to cut the shroud. I thought you had to cut it in order to mount it with the clips or whatever.
Nope - you can either use the clips as "nuts" for the bolts or get bolts from Wal-Mart or a hardware store... :D
Old 09-14-2001, 10:29 PM
MitchellDavidson
Melting Slicks

bruce1, nice garage.. very :cool:
Old 09-14-2001, 11:54 PM
Mike Siska
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it! (z06bliss)

It's not the damn AirIntake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

C'mon Rob :D , of course it is :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-15-2001, 12:48 AM
JohnnyB
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BP, very clever :cheers: :cool: how did you mate the tubes to the airbox?

Get notified of new replies

To Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it!

Old 09-15-2001, 05:05 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it! (JohnnyB)

BP, very clever :cheers: :cool: how did you mate the tubes to the airbox?
I took the O or circle clamp (the one that holds the Air Filter to the MAF End) and down sized it till it "just barely" slipped inside the 4 " tube then used the clamp as my O template to cut my hole in the Box - then I "inserted" the tube into the box and it made a "terribly" tight fit. By using the "ribs" on the tube: the tube sealed itself inside the hole. :D The ribs prevent the tube from comming out of the hole.. infact it is such a tight fit you REALLY have to squeaze and tug on the tube to distort it to get the darn thing out!
Old 09-15-2001, 10:47 PM
geekracer
Melting Slicks

I'm just getting the red X for the picture URLs. Are they still valid? :eek:
Old 09-15-2001, 11:03 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it! (MMarquez)

Sorry for the images being broken, as we are in the middle of a Network Migration to Worldcom - from PSINet and the (test) server that is hosting my images for me is still on the PSINet segment. They are down right now :mad but they "should" be back up shortly (I hope) as this is the 5th outtage in 2 weeks! :eek:.

Quick Reply: Vortex Mod Complete! New Pics! New Track Times + Slips Inside! I like it!