C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am Radio Has Noise In It

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:55 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Am Radio Has Noise In It

The 98 C5 radio is one of the best FM radios and the WORST AM radio I've ever had in a car. While the FM radio cassette (in the radio) and CD player (in the trunk) are static free, the AM radio sounds like something on a model T. Anyone else have this experience? I won't waste time changing out the radio cause I seldom listen to AM but once in a while I do for traffic etc. Have a convertable and antenna goes up fine and tunes in FM fine but AM stinks. Mine is a 98. BIGHANK
Old 09-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Z28TOZO6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its more likely the power lines in your area. They are prone to causing static in the am band.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

i think this is your problem:

see post 4 and 5 in this thread!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=antenna

Old 09-29-2006, 08:30 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

what's AM radio?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 AM
SPS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 98 had bad AM reception when it was new. The dealer tried to tell me it was because of my window tint. Finally they found the bad antenae connection.
But recently, my AM has been occasionally cutting out totally. Thanks to Stealthy4 for the link ---- I'm going to try tracking it down this weekend.

Steve
Old 09-30-2006, 02:21 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Default am radio

To clarify... I have a convertable with the REAL TELESCOPING ANTENNA not the grid on the rear windshield. FM reception is FINE.
AM reception has static except on the strongest stations. I have a 50 KW station's transmitter about 2 miles from me. That comes in FINE but other NORMAL stations have static and even generator noise. Have installed chokes in the 12Volt power lead in previous cars but have not played with this one due th the fact that you have to dissect the car to get to the radio.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by bighank
To clarify... I have a convertable with the REAL TELESCOPING ANTENNA not the grid on the rear windshield. FM reception is FINE.
AM reception has static except on the strongest stations. I have a 50 KW station's transmitter about 2 miles from me. That comes in FINE but other NORMAL stations have static and even generator noise. Have installed chokes in the 12Volt power lead in previous cars but have not played with this one due th the fact that you have to dissect the car to get to the radio.

If you have an antenna in the windshield, you will still have the box where the rear antenna (whether it comes from the rear windshield or rear telescoping) will plug into...

Your FM should be fine because the front antenna ONLY picks up FM signal. Thats what the box is for...its to determine which antennas has the better FM signal the front or rear. Since you dont have a rear hooked up properly, your AM will be crap.

Of course this is assuming you have the two antennas system (i cant remember if converts have an antenna in the front windshield)

Last edited by Stealthy4; 09-30-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:36 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Default am antenna

I'll look in the service manual but sometimes its not precisely clear how things really hook up. Maybe I do have 2 antennas...maybe not.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:19 AM
debmwb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you compared it to another AM radio? If your FM is fine and you can pick up strong AM stations, I think you may be chasing ghosts! AM is widely affected by atmospheric propagation. We are at the Solar minimum for propagation so there is a lot of static, noise, etc. You should also note that when storms are moving through you will hear them loud and clear on an AM radio.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Default am radio noise

Looked in the GM Service Manual and according to the manual if you have a convertable you have only 1 antenna. Also the diagnostic area only seems to imply a bad ground may be causes for the noise. This might be the case but think it would also cause some problems with FM and the amplifiers too. AM radio in my Montana is much better sounding than in the vette. Will check for poor grounds but don't think that is the cause.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

Looked in the GM Service Manual and according to the manual if you have a convertable you have only 1 antenna. Also the diagnostic area only seems to imply a bad ground may be causes for the noise. This might be the case but think it would also cause some problems with FM and the amplifiers too. AM radio in my Montana is much better sounding than in the vette. Will check for poor grounds but don't think that is the cause.
Someone else confirmed this exact same thing for me a couple of days ago...i guess my next question becomes...since you dont have a front antenna, theres obviously no use for the diversity box however, thiis doesnt mean they eliminated it. I would check to make sure that everything is still properly connected...that antenna runs from the rear ?right? of the car all the way to the radio unit so maybe something is going on there... seems strange that FM works and AM work sometimes though....maybe it is indeed a problem with the radio unit itself....

also dont count the ground out as the C5 vettes are notorious for bad grounds

Last edited by Stealthy4; 10-03-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:18 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

today I celebrate 53 years of being licensed by the FCC (10-3-53) as a ham radio operator. I know a little about radio. I have an 04 CE and I have to admit that the AM reception is crappy. I am going to do a little snooping around. When you have antenna connectors they can become corroded which can affect the amount of signal the radio receives. I am going to unplug my AM antennas and clean them. Use something to "sand" but make sure the connector is cleaned so that no "sand" is left on the connector. Without doing anything at this point I think it probably is an antenna plug corrosion issue. That pictorial is really great. Thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 04:30 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Default am radio noise

GM Manual seems to confirm only a lead from radio to telescoping antenna mounted in the trunk... Any convertible owners around that have a similar problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Am Radio Has Noise In It

Quick Reply: Am Radio Has Noise In It