C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a cheaper way to improve your lights? Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:30 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

i still think a good set of piaa's is the sure way to go. i got a set of piaa jdm super purples off ebay and i love them.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 PM
ahaney
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered mine so I expect some help putting them in berryj - AH
Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 PM
berryj
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kudos everyone! It's nice to be able to see at night and for a reasonable price. Had a deer run in front of my car a couple weeks ago at night! Those bulbs came in handy then for sure.

Anthony, let me know when u get your bulbs and I'll help u get them installed.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:51 PM
WickedQuik
Drifting

You can drive these cars at night. Damn, no one ever told me I that they had headlights. That must be what those hidden things are down there. And I thought I bought a car without headlights.

Thanks for the info. Not that mine gets out at night all that often, but when I do, I would like more light.

Now can you someone help me find the windshield wipers. Dont think I have had mine in but a couple times in 3 plus years.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:44 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by berryj
Well, as many know, it's not hard to convert high beam bulbs to fit in the low beam socket of our lamps. So, I decided to pay the $60 bucks to buy 2 of those Toshiba HIR 9011 high beam bulbs from this website www.finemotoring.com.

I noticed the difference right away and did a lot of driving in the dark woods of the Tail of the Dragon Friday night with these. Huge improvement over the stock bulbs w/o paying the $800 plus price for HID's. One of the forum members has mentioned this improvement and I decided to give it a try (Waupachino). Here's my pics so u can decide for yourself in case you want a relatively cheap alternative for better lighting:

Before:

After:

Those pics really tell the story. Thanks for posting them. I will definitely have to order some and put them in. Talk about a big improvement.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by EHS
Those things have been kicking around since 2001.

They're not that impressive.
For 60 bucks, I'd say it IS impressive, although I'm not sure if you wouldn't see a similar improvement with PIAA Super Whites in the proper 3900k temperature rating. If you go towards the blue end of the spectrum (higher color temps than about 4200k) you WILL lose illumination. I know from experience...
Old 11-28-2006, 03:59 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Not trying to jack your thread but we did the "Tail" the Friday before Thanksgiving it was awesome. Mega brake dust on the rims!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:30 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bennettrp
I'm not sure I noticed.......

Does anybody know how this mod matches up the the Silverstars? Is it brighter?
Yes, significantly brighter. I went HIR after trying the Silverstars. I haven't compared them with the new Ultrastars, but I'm so satisfied with the HIR's that I'm disinclined to even bother.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What modifications do you have to make to allow the installation of the 9011s into the LB setting?

Thanks,
Old 12-11-2006, 07:22 PM
BanditDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASST LN
What modifications do you have to make to allow the installation of the 9011s into the LB setting?

Thanks,

Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The mods are on the website he listed. Here is a copy of it.

The Toshiba bulbs are virtually identical in every regard to the 9005 and 9006 bulbs EXCEPT for extremely minor differences in the shape of the mounting flanges. HIR bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base to comply with a law that requires different bulbs to have different bases. This extra-wide plastic top ear can be easily trimmed or filed to make the HIR fit the bulb receptacle of an 9005 or 9006. Once the trimming/filing is done, the HIR goes directly into the headlamp and the existing sockets snap on.

A few minutes work with a file or Dremel tool will greatly enhance the usefulness of these bulbs with regard to those cars which might not, strictly speaking, have been designed with these exact bulbs in mind. In fact, it's amazing how simple and easy it is to remove a few square millimeters of soft plastic. You can even trim them with toenail clippers, (please take a series of small "bites" instead of a big chomp). Five minutes, tops, and then these bulbs will fit in any car that takes 9005 and 9006 bulbs. Owners of certain late-model US cars have reported minor problems, easily corrected, with the shape of the vehicle's light housings. The housings never need to be modified in any way, only the bulbs. Please email if you have any questions about specific fit and suitability factors.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Zoso1951
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05-'07-'08-'09

Default sorry couldn't resist,,,,

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Wow, that's an impressive improvement. My question is if it affects oncoming traffic at all??
they go blind and drive off the road
Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RED99
The mods are on the website he listed. Here is a copy of it.

The Toshiba bulbs are virtually identical in every regard to the 9005 and 9006 bulbs EXCEPT for extremely minor differences in the shape of the mounting flanges. HIR bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base to comply with a law that requires different bulbs to have different bases. This extra-wide plastic top ear can be easily trimmed or filed to make the HIR fit the bulb receptacle of an 9005 or 9006. Once the trimming/filing is done, the HIR goes directly into the headlamp and the existing sockets snap on.

A few minutes work with a file or Dremel tool will greatly enhance the usefulness of these bulbs with regard to those cars which might not, strictly speaking, have been designed with these exact bulbs in mind. In fact, it's amazing how simple and easy it is to remove a few square millimeters of soft plastic. You can even trim them with toenail clippers, (please take a series of small "bites" instead of a big chomp). Five minutes, tops, and then these bulbs will fit in any car that takes 9005 and 9006 bulbs. Owners of certain late-model US cars have reported minor problems, easily corrected, with the shape of the vehicle's light housings. The housings never need to be modified in any way, only the bulbs. Please email if you have any questions about specific fit and suitability factors.
Missed a vital step, here... The low beam bulbs have a single ridge of plastic on the inside of the connector. The high beams have two ridges. In order to get the high beam bulbs to fit in the low beam socket, the two ridges must be leveled using a Dremel tool or similar to grind down the ridges. Super easy, takes only a minute per bulb, but a necessary step in addition to trimming the center tab on the mounting flange as mentioned above.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
UWEBABY
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by JMc
Yes, significantly brighter. I went HIR after trying the Silverstars. I haven't compared them with the new Ultrastars, but I'm so satisfied with the HIR's that I'm disinclined to even bother.
ON YOUR HIR INSTALL, DID YOU KEEP LB TO LB AND HB TO HB? WAS THE LB TO LB BRIGHT ENOUGH OR WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THE HB INTO THE LB SOCKETS.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I need to see better than my stock bulbs put out on a dark road I flick my driving lights on and hit the road with 200 watts of sunshine. Why did Chevy decide to use POS lighting on the vettes?

Last edited by briann510; 12-12-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UWEBABY
ON YOUR HIR INSTALL, DID YOU KEEP LB TO LB AND HB TO HB? WAS THE LB TO LB BRIGHT ENOUGH OR WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THE HB INTO THE LB SOCKETS.
Nah, I cut right to the chase and installed high beams bulbs in the low beam sockets. By this time, I was really getting tired of monkeying around with this stuff... HOWEVER... In another thread a CF member installed the low beam HIR bulbs in the low beam sockets and said he is very satisfied. So I don't think you can go wrong, either way.

I've clocked a few hundred miles driving around L.A. freeways and surface streets and so far nobody has flashed me. So these things CAN be aimed in stock housings to provide plenty of light on the road without blinding oncoming drivers.

Here's a real testament to how pleased I am with these bulbs. I've been eyeing those HID conversion kits for a long time, but thought they were prohibitively expensive. Now, a vendor is selling them at the price I swore I would jump on, but for the foreseeable future, I'm sticking with the HIRs.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 AM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

OK Im really interested in these Toshiba HIR bulbs after just buying some Euro bulbs. My question is can you get the Toshiba brightness in the more bluish color? I dont want the yellow look. I like the hyper-white/blue color like the Euro cars use.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:32 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bandit 00C5
OK Im really interested in these Toshiba HIR bulbs after just buying some Euro bulbs. My question is can you get the Toshiba brightness in the more bluish color? I dont want the yellow look. I like the hyper-white/blue color like the Euro cars use.
They don't look yellow to me. But if you're wanting blue, you're out of luck. At least as far as HIR bulbs are concerned. Try HID.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 AM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Originally Posted by WickedQuik
You can drive these cars at night. Damn, no one ever told me I that they had headlights. That must be what those hidden things are down there. And I thought I bought a car without headlights.
Mine doesn't, as far as I can tell.....

Quick Reply: Looking for a cheaper way to improve your lights? Pics!