C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:01 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Shock absorbers

Someone else posted this question on the General Forum, but it didn't get much of a response. Does age have an adverse affect on shocks? My car only has 21,000 miles on it, but it seems to ride rougher than it did a few years ago. I have the F45 suspension, and I'm curious if I can switch to Z06 shocks (or something else) without screwing things up. Someone told me that the shocks for the F45 suspension are very expensive. I'm just mainly concerned about straight line performance.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I'm just mainly concerned about straight line performance.
Then don't bother with the Z06 shocks; they're optimized for handling. One thing that can affect your ride over time (as opposed to miles) are the tires. Heat cycles harden the tire (any tire), and as the years go by it can make a noticeable difference.

If by "straight line performance" you're talking about actually racing the 1/4 (as opposed to running little ole ladies off the street ) then I'd check in the drag racing forum for shock recommendations.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Brad@RevXtremeAutoSports
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the f45 shock replacements are very expensive. You can replace them with Z06 shocks however you will lose the selective ride control and you have to use resistors at the terminals of each shock to not get errors. I am doing this conversion over the Thanksgiving holidays, keep an eye out for it.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:05 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Brad@thecorvetteshow
the f45 shock replacements are very expensive. You can replace them with Z06 shocks however you will lose the selective ride control and you have to use resistors at the terminals of each shock to not get errors. I am doing this conversion over the Thanksgiving holidays, keep an eye out for it.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For straight line, QA1's are the way to go.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Brad@RevXtremeAutoSports
Melting Slicks

C6 Z06 shocks installed last night on my 98 vert. They work great. Only comparison is to the stock ones I had that were at 60,000 miles so anything would be better. But, they went on perfectly. I used the resistor mod to clear out the selective ride control warning. Added Z06 sways front and back with metal end links and she handles great. Ride height is up a little I think, I forgot to measure the clearance prior to doing the shocks. Right now my clearance is 4 inches front and back. I will lower it but in a few weeks. I shot video of the install and I'll post it soon. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 PM
NLKoerner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C6 Z06 shocks installed last night on my 98 vert. They work great. Only comparison is to the stock ones I had that were at 60,000 miles so anything would be better. But, they went on perfectly. I used the resistor mod to clear out the selective ride control warning. Added Z06 sways front and back with metal end links and she handles great. Ride height is up a little I think, I forgot to measure the clearance prior to doing the shocks. Right now my clearance is 4 inches front and back. I will lower it but in a few weeks. I shot video of the install and I'll post it soon. Thanks.
Glad all went well.
Looking forward to the details
Norm
Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 PM
RedVert99
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistor values

I am putting a set of Z51 shocks on my 99 vette. I will need to do the resistor mod. I cannot find the correct values to use.

The shocks themselves are 12 ohms and the voltage at them is 4. Frankly I'd like to use a higher value than 12 as I don't want to draw the current and heat. I want the highest value that keeps the computer consistently happy.

Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Brad@RevXtremeAutoSports
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedVert99
I am putting a set of Z51 shocks on my 99 vette. I will need to do the resistor mod. I cannot find the correct values to use.

The shocks themselves are 12 ohms and the voltage at them is 4. Frankly I'd like to use a higher value than 12 as I don't want to draw the current and heat. I want the highest value that keeps the computer consistently happy.

Any ideas?
10 watt 10 ohm resistors from radio shack. Worked perfectly for me. Good luck and PM me if you need any help.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock absorbers

Quick Reply: Shock absorbers