C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace the passenger HVAC actuator

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 PM
FletcherT76
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to replace the passenger HVAC actuator

This forum has helped me greatly in my few months of Corvette ownership so I'll try to give back to this great community:

If you're getting error codes B0367 and/or B0446 the passenger side actuator is either out of range or not responding at all to the HVAC Control Module. Below are the steps to access and replace the actuator.

Unlike the driver's side actuator, you cannot access the passenger side actuator from underneath the dashboard. (For the drivers side, visit this link for a great write up by JR_Vette: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1465931)

You must remove the dashboard and glovebox to access the passenger side actuator. There is no need to remove the radio and HVAC Control Module as I did. I was originally hoping I could access the actuator through that area somehow, but quickly realized it was not possible. I found a detailed write up on the dashboard removal so I won't try to re-invent the wheel here, just follow the steps provided and you'll have the dash off in about 45 minutes. I realize this is an article for a HUD conversion, but the steps to remove the dashboard are very detailed and obviously apply here as well. http://joshker99.home.comcast.net/hudinstall2.htm
[TIP: Wrap the top of your steering wheel in blue painters tape or cover it with a towel to prevent scratching the leather.]

Once the dash is off, you can easily locate both the drivers side and passenger side actuators. The passenger side is a little hidden by the round motor on the right side of the picture, but its there and easily visible when you get in there.

Using a 7mm socket, extension and wrench, you can remove the two bolts to the actuator through a cutout in the glovebox frame. That's the actuator with the bar code sticker on it. You can see the top bolt through the frame in this picture.

Now, rotate and twist the round motor off it's base (no screws or bolts, just twist and turn it a little and it will slide right off). Once off it's base, just move it out of the way and you can now pull the actuator out and disconnect the wiring harness.

Now just plug in your new actuator and reverse the process.

Approximate duration: 2-4 hours.

Good luck - hope this helps someone else!

If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.
The following 2 users liked this post by FletcherT76:
joew94th (04-06-2020), SDVette (03-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

FletcherT76

Great job!!! Nice post!!!

Bill C
Old 11-30-2006, 08:40 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Great information!! Thank you for taking the time to document it!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:31 AM
TDOG_in_NC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fletcher ... Thanks Brotha ...

Great info ... I'll be needing to do this shortly ...
Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 PM
JCB75
8th Gear

It's a shame that most of the time the pictures aren't viewable because of the image host limits. Happens all the time.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by JCB75
It's a shame that most of the time the pictures aren't viewable because of the image host limits. Happens all the time.
there is an extension that will fix that issue, just Google photobucket hotlink fix for the browser you use and install it
Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 AM
JCB75
8th Gear

Originally Posted by feeder82
there is an extension that will fix that issue, just Google photobucket hotlink fix for the browser you use and install it
Well that is awesome. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2018, 05:27 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 658 Likes on 527 Posts

On this or other pages that have information of value to you, once you have the photos visible it's time to save the page as a web page, complete. Process varies with browsers, but once saved as a complete web page you have access with photos, even without internet access!
I know this post has aged more than a bit, but I came here stuck in the middle of the actuators (driver's done, passenger fighting). Think I found what I needed.

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace the passenger HVAC actuator

Quick Reply: How to replace the passenger HVAC actuator