C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 PM
chasb4570
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Question on X pipe

We purchased an '04 coupe last October with 11,700 on the clock. Full option with six speed. Car has TI exhaust installed and I just installed a Callaway Honker CAI so the car can enjoy some of the cool Phoenix air. I do not plan on racing, just nice road trips that might include some "spirited" sequences. Is removing the H pipe something to really consider? I stopped yesterday at a local exhaust shop. The owner said they could cut out the H pipe and install, (weld), a pre-manufactured X pipe for $130.00. Price doesn't sound bad. Is the overall outcome worth the investment or is there a better alternative other than the one I found yesterday. I don't plan on going the header route at this time.
Thank you.
Chas
Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it should smooth out some of the burbling/motor boat sound on deceleration, but you wont notice a difference in power. If you are running LT headers or aftermarket exhaust you will hear a smoother cleaner sound but no really any power to gain. $130 installed is not a bad price... about what i would expect to pay, I have thought about doing it on my car but just cant justify it for no gains... i like the sound as it is already. I would say spend the money elsewere.... ECS has mail order tunes that will be a better investment in my pinion.

S
Old 05-23-2014, 03:30 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you looking to gain by adding an X pipe? It won't add any power to a stock engine. I have an 04 with a TI and a true X pipe and I know that all it did was make my exhaust quieter. I actually don't like the sound of it. I have several 1/4 mile time slips with the X and without it and the X made no difference.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like stated. Not necessary for a stock car. But it is good for smoothing out the decel noises once you change to a louder axle back set. X-pipes do help in scavenging. So it is good to have if doing a cam or something that starts moving a lot more air through the system. You will want an exhaust that pulls the gasses out to aid in bringing in a fresh a/f mix. But you wont hear a difference in sound or anything if your hoping for that by just swapping the H out. (In my experience anyway.)
Old 05-23-2014, 06:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It will stop the motor boat sound at idle and the popping on deceleration.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:52 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
It will stop the motor boat sound at idle and the popping on deceleration.
Agreed, changed my stock axle back to a Ti exhaust, shorty headers ( to get some more weight out) and put an "X" pipe in much better sound, no more motor boating, maybe a little better acceleration with all parts in.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by chasb4570
We purchased an '04 coupe last October with 11,700 on the clock. Full option with six speed. Car has TI exhaust installed and I just installed a Callaway Honker CAI so the car can enjoy some of the cool Phoenix air. I do not plan on racing, just nice road trips that might include some "spirited" sequences. Is removing the H pipe something to really consider? I stopped yesterday at a local exhaust shop. The owner said they could cut out the H pipe and install, (weld), a pre-manufactured X pipe for $130.00. Price doesn't sound bad. Is the overall outcome worth the investment or is there a better alternative other than the one I found yesterday. I don't plan on going the header route at this time.
Thank you.
Chas
sounds like a beauty! 11K miles on an 04 -
IMHO the TI exhaust is the best application. IF you ever decide to go with the headers ( heads / cam) then I would go with a nice header, X-pipe and keep the TI's. A tune is not a bad idea.
Best of luck & enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To Question on X pipe

Quick Reply: Question on X pipe