C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MityVac + speed bleeders = one clean, fast brake bleed

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default MityVac + speed bleeders = one clean, fast brake bleed

I bought a MityVac silverline off eBay for something like $50ish the other day and decided to give it its first use in bleeding my brakes, since my whole brake system was open for a week or so. I already had speed bleeders on the calipers but I hated raising the lift, turning the bleeder screw, lowering the lift, getting in the car, pumping the brakes, etc. etc.

This time I just filled the brake fluid reservoir full, got under the car, and using the MityVac, drew around 15inHg of vacuum at which point fluid started to flow. Around 25inHg it was really flowing. As I approached 2oz of fluid from each line, I'd pump the vac a few more times and then pull the vac hose off the bleeder screw.

The existing vacuum inside the vac system would make a clean break from the bleeder screw -- any of the fluid still inside the line between the vacuum pump and the bleeder would instantly get sucked into the MityVac canister. I dropped literally NO brake fluid! And since the bleeder screw was a speed bleeder all I had to do after the brake was tighten it down again.

Brake pedal firmness was superb and the whole thing took under 10 minutes. I wish I would have bought a MityVac a long time ago...

(for those interested in getting one, it's the MityVac 4000 Silverline, same one at this ebay URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MityV...spagenameZWDVW)

I forgot which seller I bought mine from but it showed up quick and they seem to go for around $50-$60 shipped.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony @ MPH:
jpipx (12-30-2016), Sam Handwich (01-02-2017)
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I just bought a miytvac 4050, same thing with a few more adapters to bleed power steering, and clutches.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am really happy with the tool, I also used it to top bleed my clutch. I have a remote bleeder on the slave and bled it totally out the bottom, and on a whim decided to try bleeding from the top... sure enough a surprising amount of air came out.

This is a must have tool for any DIY person looking to do anything with clutch or brakes.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 AM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ MPH
I bought a MityVac silverline off eBay for something like $50ish the other day and decided to give it its first use in bleeding my brakes, since my whole brake system was open for a week or so. I already had speed bleeders on the calipers but I hated raising the lift, turning the bleeder screw, lowering the lift, getting in the car, pumping the brakes, etc. etc.

This time I just filled the brake fluid reservoir full, got under the car, and using the MityVac, drew around 15inHg of vacuum at which point fluid started to flow. Around 25inHg it was really flowing. As I approached 2oz of fluid from each line, I'd pump the vac a few more times and then pull the vac hose off the bleeder screw.

The existing vacuum inside the vac system would make a clean break from the bleeder screw -- any of the fluid still inside the line between the vacuum pump and the bleeder would instantly get sucked into the MityVac canister. I dropped literally NO brake fluid! And since the bleeder screw was a speed bleeder all I had to do after the brake was tighten it down again.

Brake pedal firmness was superb and the whole thing took under 10 minutes. I wish I would have bought a MityVac a long time ago...

(for those interested in getting one, it's the MityVac 4000 Silverline, same one at this ebay URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MityV...spagenameZWDVW)

I forgot which seller I bought mine from but it showed up quick and they seem to go for around $50-$60 shipped.
Great post! I just bought a MityVac and SpeedBleeders, was wondering if I could use the two together. I am planning to put the LR together again on my C4 after a suspension/brake refresh and wasn't sure if they would both work together. Looks like I am in for a treat! Goes to show how these archive posts can still help. Thanks!

Last edited by jpipx; 12-30-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

There's "gold" in them thar old threads.

Get notified of new replies

To MityVac + speed bleeders = one clean, fast brake bleed

Quick Reply: MityVac + speed bleeders = one clean, fast brake bleed