C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:28 PM
touring2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default HVAC display fixed. thank you!!

Passing on my thanks as well. been dodging this fix for years, since about 2006, LOL! and didn't realize how simple it was. Esp w pics w captions from brookins.us. don't see his link here, but many thanks to him as well. Finally!!!

MUCH thanks to everyone that did the legwork everywhere to get all this great info out there, I hope this makes it easier to find and read through all the various steps![/QUOTE]
Old 10-07-2016, 07:39 PM
touring2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree w Sansbup, re let them cool. however, I totally dislodged one, used a wick to remove excess solder(Amateur!!!) an dpopped it right back. Camarohoss is boss at a record 20 minutes. took me a couple hrs, but totally worth it. Esp thanks to Brookins, here: http://www.brookins.us/accontroller/dimacdisplay.html for picturs and text for the simple minded. Tremendous help!
Bob, 01 Z06
HPDE instructor, Pacific Northwest
Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Chris Murphy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, new owner, new to the forum.
Reading about this HVAC light dim, I removed mine, and upon looking at it, im wondering if its possible to not be able to see anything with the naked eye, but still have a problem.
Heres a couple pics of my board.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:57 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Mine looked good, too. When I started to resolder I found a couple loose ones.
Use a soldering iron with a fine tip.

Last edited by ruxvette; 12-09-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Chris Murphy
Intermediate

Radio Shack, at least the one near me, no longer carries the Cold Heat soldering guns.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:30 PM
mike2c5
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't let the appearance fool you. When I fixed this problem on my 98,
the board looked fine. I tried to move the chips to see if any felt loose, but none of them did. I then used a low wattage soldering pencil to touch up the solder. When I touched the pencil to one chip it went flying. Make sure you work where you won't loose a chip if it comes off. When it was off I could see why we all get this problem. The pad pattern for these chips is to small for the chips installed. The pads should have extended farther out from the chips or smaller chips with the proper electrical properties should have been used. Touching up the solder does fix the problem. I did this repair over a year ago and it is still working fine.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:23 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Murphy
Radio Shack, at least the one near me, no longer carries the Cold Heat soldering guns.
Got Prime?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Hiram
Intermediate

Great info I simply followed the instructions in you post. Isoldered all 6 resisters, plug it back in and everything works great the display went from showing nothing to vary bright.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Re-soldered mine, took only a few minutes.

I already have the Dashboard removed, repairing the HUD

Thanks all !!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:07 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

This is a timely thread. I replaced the head unit in my car. After reinstalling everything, I discovered the lights in the VAC control unit are all not working. Before doing the head unit installation, the VAC module lights worked fine. Heat and AC works, the temp display works, only the lights are out.

Did I plug the Molex connector wrong or what???
Old 03-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Capt Mike
Racer

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
This is a timely thread. I replaced the head unit in my car. After reinstalling everything, I discovered the lights in the VAC control unit are all not working. Before doing the head unit installation, the VAC module lights worked fine. Heat and AC works, the temp display works, only the lights are out.

Did I plug the Molex connector wrong or what???
I would hazard a guess the the dimming of the "**** lamps"
are a single wire input, prob from the BCM.

You might have damaged or pushed out a pin in the connector, or not inserted the connector fully.. The're polarized connectors and near to impossible to insert 180 out. You could have broken a wire to the connector, but that would be unlikely.

Only one way to find out, or just to do without the lamps..

Michael..
Old 05-02-2017, 08:10 PM
LDOVET
Cruising

I had to take apart my shifter assembly after my 2003 Anniversary edition was stuck in drive, got it fixed (another story). Same panels removed for that repair so I decided to tackle this one. I have been meaning to resolder the 241 resistors and had it done in my microminiature repair shop. WORKED GREAT. Here's my lesson learned. I was SO happy the display lit, I didn't check all of the climate control functions before putting the facia plate, center console and waterfall back in place. Fired it up and the screen shows "set" and continually cycles between all modes (vent, floor, defrost, etc) and you can hear the compressor cycling. When I removed the components as described above, the rubber shroud between the other circuit board was loose BUT, I ensured (so I thought), that it was seated, and checked all of the buttons to ensure they "clicked" before reinstalling. Now that will take it all apart again tomorrow to get it right but I want to ensure others don't suffer the "hey, my display is bright, slap it back together" that I did.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Chris Murphy
Intermediate

I noticed when I did mine that the previous owner had installed a liberal amount of Coke (maybe Pepsi) all over the buttons, and in behind as well. I used an old toothbrush and some solvent to scrub each and every button and the casing. I went from having a dim light, and the AC randomly turning on, and adjusting itself, to a working HVAC unit. That sounds like your problem, is sticky buttons
The following users liked this post:
LDOVET (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:32 PM
LDOVET
Cruising

After doing this repair, the light is bright again, great. BUT, when I reinstalled and buttoned it up, it looks to me that all of the modes are cycling and it says "SET" in the upper right corner of the display. I found something on line about removing a fuse on the passenger side for over 60 seconds which "resets" the HVAC. Anybody try this or have details? I thought the buttons were just "sticky" but none of them seem to "hold" the function selected and it defaults to this cycling between modes and an audible clicking from the engine compartment as it cycles through the modes. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:52 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I have a 2003 AE also and have swapped out the HVAC lights to LEDs and re-soldered the resistors myself. When I plugged it back in and re-assembled the bezel and console, everything worked just fine. My HVAC didn't have "SET", it just went straight to work as usual.

Waiting to see how your issue plays out, good luck
Old 05-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry for the high jack, but has anyone ever had the temp **** only move one degree at a time? Mine just started this. I have to wait for the display to show oat before I can move the temp one degree, repeat until I reach my desired temp. Can this be fixed?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
Sorry for the high jack, but has anyone ever had the temp **** only move one degree at a time? Mine just started this. I have to wait for the display to show oat before I can move the temp one degree, repeat until I reach my desired temp. Can this be fixed?
Carl,

RE the One degree prob. Yes I have a friend that owned a C5 with this issue, very odd. This drove him Nuts.

I gave him few links re "Cleaning the Grounds". Solved His problem. Do note that that He did disconnect the battery when he was cleaning rounds.He also coated all ground wires with electrical gel.

It was obvious that the P.O. power washed the engine bay.

Good Luck,

Michael...

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Old 05-03-2017, 08:59 PM
LDOVET
Cruising

Originally Posted by AE Guy
I have a 2003 AE also and have swapped out the HVAC lights to LEDs and re-soldered the resistors myself. When I plugged it back in and re-assembled the bezel and console, everything worked just fine. My HVAC didn't have "SET", it just went straight to work as usual.

Waiting to see how your issue plays out, good luck
FIXED IT !!!!! Took it back apart and I believe the molded rubber that shrouds the switches/lights in one side and "receive" the buttons on the other was not seated/aligned properly. Put it back together and optested, this time BEFORE putting it back together. That's the good news. The bad? Took her for a spin, I had repaired the shifter linkage earlier this week by replacing the bushing that was brittle and broke. Pulling out, had it in 1st gear because I wanted to cycle through all the gears and it stuck in 1st gear so I had to pull into a parking lot where it will be towed from tomorrow. I hope it is just the rear linkage but I did hear a snap when I was cleaning out the remnants of the old bushing. I drove it for a few days no problem, Drive, Park and Reverse were fine so hopefully it's not a new linkage which I hear means dropping the exhaust, tunnel, etc. Ah well, saved some good coin on the Climate Control at least :-)
Old 05-04-2017, 09:55 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by mike2c5
I tried to move the chips to see if any felt loose, but none of them did. I then used a low wattage soldering pencil to touch up the solder. When I touched the pencil to one chip it went flying. Make sure you work where you won't loose a chip if it comes off.
You can get some small clamps from Harbor Freight for a buck or so, then use them to hold the resistors down while you work on each side.

The following users liked this post:
drivenman (07-05-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Best C5
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixed mine this weekend in my "New To Me" 04 Z06 CE. Thanks for the how to!

Quick Reply: C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix