C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Hockey Pucks

I posted a similar thread a few months ago but I DID install 2 NUTS on the top and bottom side of the hockey puck. Counter sunk them so they are flush on top and bottom. The nuts prevent rubber stripping and becoming loose as you use them. Incidentally my right rear oblong hole was TOO CLOSE to the rocker panel so I had to shave off a little rubber on that puck. Talk about customized pucks. Keep them in the small truck compartment with a flashlight and some other tools. BIGHANK

Last edited by bighank; 01-25-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:04 PM
C5 ChemE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rwarwick
You can buy jacking pucks for a Corvette online for $40, but for all of us tight wads out there, why not make them for $2.50 each? You can make 4 of them in 10 minutes. All you need is an Ice Hockey Puck ($1.99 each) and a 5/16" eye bolt (~50 cents). In a home shop or at the track, you only need one.

Since the eyebolt is 5/16", use a drill bit that is one size smaller and the bolt will just screw into the hard rubber of the puck (no nut needed). Cut the bolt off with a hacksaw or chopsaw so that it does not go all the way through the puck. If you want, you do not have to drill the hole all the way through for a more finished look.

Leave the eye bolt sticking up on the top side 1/4" so it has room to turn and lock in the slot on the bottom of your car.

Here is a link to a $1.99 hockey puck if you can't buy them locally.
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Guard-Prac...sporting-goods

When used with a low profile racing jack like the Torin Big Red, this puck allows you to jack your car without pulling up on ramp blocks.

If you are looking for a new jack that will fit under a lowered Z06, here is a good one that has served me well.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3357_200313357

Let me know if this was helpful.

Good luck and enjoy.

Rich
Gotta ask why you spend the extra $$$ on the orange weighted pucks- Vette's are all about saving weight!!

Originally Posted by MadDogZ06
No problem, we all learned this for the first time at some point.

First of all, you need to be very careful where you jack up this car. You don't want to slide a jack under the center of either the front or rear cross member and start jacking. It is not an SUV. It is a highly optimized, light weight piece of racing technology that we drive on the street. You probably did not do any permanent damage, but you probably don't want to do it that way again.

Do a search on the forums for "jacking points" and you will get lost of help. Here is a diagram.
http://home.earthlink.net/~theadmira...tible/id5.html

Notice you can use the cross members, but not the center. The locations marked with a "3" are the puck locations.

Rich
I've been jacking my car up from the center of each crossmember EVERY TIME I jack the car up as per this site:

http://www.idavette.net/hib/C5diy/c5diy1.htm

How much damage, if any, can I be doing by lifting in the middle?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Mr. Big
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

No damage lifting in the middle, in fact i would prefer it. The problem is most of us can't fit a jack underneath the car to get to the cradle to jack it up.

the second part is you can't do that on a 2 post lift, you have to lift on the frame. So the pucks really are a handy tool. I have just been using pieces of 2x4 wood, and it works fine. But for the price, this seems like a good idea.

Dom
Old 01-24-2007, 04:17 PM
patrickC5
Racer

I had a buddy of mine make me a set for Christmas!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BMW Puck

Originally Posted by dndrsn
Some people use these BMW ones. Snap them in and leave them there.

This is cool. Where do you get these? Do you have a link? It is hard to imagine they sell at the BMW dealer for that price. That wouldn't even buy 1/4 of a lug nut at a BMW dealership. I had a 740i one time and the battery was a dealer-only item and it cost over $400.

I wouldn't mind snapping these in permanently.

MadDog
Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default Be careful

Originally Posted by C5 ChemE
Gotta ask why you spend the extra $$$ on the orange weighted pucks- Vette's are all about saving weight!!
You're right! I should drill some more holes and lighten them up.
Trust me, I bought the cheapest ones I could find. Black would be way better because I have fingerprints.

MadDog
Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 AM
TopFuelTim
Burning Brakes

Default Took the easy way out to get pucks

Bought these from that auction site, already used them twice. Cheap, and works very well. $20.90 total cost, including shipping, for four. They sell a cheaper set, but I prefer an embedded nut, so there is less chance of stripping threads.

If you are interested, you can use the following search spec:

C5-C6-CORVETTE-JACKING-LIFT-PUCKS

Tim Glover
Old 01-25-2007, 11:25 AM
MYZED06_EH
Racer

Originally Posted by rwarwick
Charlie,

Yea, I was suprised that I could not find anything on this when I searched. I never thought to search "archived" threads. However, I just did this and still did not find anything. Oh well, we have it for reference now.

For some reason on my 2002 Z06, I must have the 1/4" of clearance just to turn and make a solid lock. Less than that and it will not turn to lock in place (just falls out). It's certainly easy to adjust, regardless of what clearance you need. A marketing guy woudl say they are "fully adjustable".

I wish my dealership had used these on my last Z06. They broke my rocker panel lifting the car and denied it was them.

Rich

Here is some handy info;

http://www.97vette.com/howto/liftpads/index.html

They work great!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
MLEN1UM
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is cool. Where do you get these? Do you have a link? It is hard to imagine they sell at the BMW dealer for that price. That wouldn't even buy 1/4 of a lug nut at a BMW dealership. I had a 740i one time and the battery was a dealer-only item and it cost over $400.

I wouldn't mind snapping these in permanently.

MadDog

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1025882

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

you have to search by BMW model. I entered 2002 330i and then the part number.

Jacking Pad - mounts underneath the car
Part # : 51 71 1 960 752 $ 6.95

I've had these on for a couple years. I love them!

Last edited by MLEN1UM; 01-26-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:44 AM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default Permanent pucks from BMW

Originally Posted by MLEN1UM

Just ordered a set from the website you mentioned. You are a stud. I like this idea.

The tech at the Chevy dealership cracked the rocker panel on my last Z06 because he did not use a puck. I guess he was in a hurry. Like someone mentioned, you may not have your pucks with you at all times. I'll give it a shot.

I just finished stripping my last Z06 to the frame and I learned that those rocker panels are one of the few panels on the C5 that can not be removed without a chisel. You don't want to crack or break them. They are glued on. Permanent pucks could save you a lot of money.

MadDog
Old 01-27-2007, 01:49 AM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by MYZED06_EH
Here is some handy info;

http://www.97vette.com/howto/liftpads/index.html

They work great!
Great pics. Man, if these (double-stacked pucks) work for you without driving onto anything, you must have a REALLY low jack. I have the low profile Torin Big Red racing jack it will roll under one puck with about 1/4" to spare. The car is lowered, but only ~ 1/2 inch.

MadDog
Old 01-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Iron Chef
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09
CI 8-9-10 Veteran

That's a great idea! I won a set of jacking pucks at a Corvette event but if I hadn't, I'd make those.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,228 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good info, MadDogZ06. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 AM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default BMW Pucks are THE TICKET!!

Just ordered a set from the website you mentioned. You are a stud. I like this idea.

MadDog
Originally Posted by Iron Chef
That's a great idea! I won a set of jacking pucks at a Corvette event but if I hadn't, I'd make those.
Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Good info, MadDogZ06. Thanks for posting.
Guys,

MLEN1UM has clearly trumped the hockey pucks. I received the BMW "lift pad" pucks in the mail that he recommended and they ROCK! I just leaned over and snapped them into place permanently. I like them much better because:
  1. They are always there for the times when you are not the person lifting the car
  2. You don't need to keep track of your pucks
  3. You don't even notice them unless you look under the car.
  4. Best of all, it makes jacking much easier. You can see exactly where to jack by just looking under the car. Jack allignment is quick and easy

You just can't beat this for $6.95 each.

MadDog
Old 02-06-2007, 05:31 AM
MLEN1UM
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

MadDog - glad you like them! And thanks for the props!

Angela
Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, while learning to search, don't forget to search for the

"and then the cheap hockey puck exploded and I damaged my car" thread.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Boeingman
Instructor

Default Further details lease

Originally Posted by cartop2
This is a great idea.
What do you do about the state inspection stations that won't use pads on their lifts?
What???? Are there states that require you to surrender your car over to them in order to put your car up on a lift so that some stranger snoops through it???

Get notified of new replies

To Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50

Old 03-13-2007, 03:34 PM
JameyTurner
Too Much Fun
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

ttt
Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
RedY2K
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can readily understand why you'd want pucks if a shop that isn't familiar with C5s is going to lift your car, but if you're going to do it yourself, pucks aren't needed. I've used the following procedure multiple times with no problems.

1. Locate the triangular steel plate, on a line just behind the outside review mirror and just inboard of the rocker panel underneath the car. This triangular plate connects the rocker panel frame rail with a steel support that extends inboard to the tunnel underneath the floorboard.

2. Carefully place the jack lift plate under the triangular plate. Be sure NOT to contact the floorboard or the fiberglass rocker panel cover.

3. Slowly jack the car and you will lift both side wheels off, ala NASCAR style.

4. If you are going to be working under the car you can easily place 2 jack stands. Locate the 2 reinforced shipping slots in the frame rail just aft of the front wheel and forward of the rear wheel. Carefully place the jack stands under these points.
You may have to angle the jack stand contact point to clear the fiberglass rocker panel cover.

5. If you wish to get all 4 wheels off the ground then you must first drive the opposite side tires up on 2x6's or 2x12's before step #2. This allows clearance for the jack on the second side lift.

No jacking pucks required.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

How thick are they?

Quick Reply: Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50