C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note for blue Corvette owners: Hockey pucks for junior players are blue... and a bit lighter than the black ones. If you have a blue Corvette you might want to have them...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:56 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default $2.50 hockey puck lifts

I posted almost the same info about 6 months ago except I SUGGESTED you use NUTS and counter sink them into the puck so it will not work loose after using it for a while. I also used red locktite on the nuts to keep them super tight. They store in one of my small compartments in the trunk in case I have to use then when away from home. BIGHANK
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM
C5C5RUN
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadDogZ06
No problem, we all learned this for the first time at some point.

First of all, you need to be very careful where you jack up this car. You don't want to slide a jack under the center of either the front or rear cross member and start jacking. It is not an SUV. It is a highly optimized, light weight piece of racing technology that we drive on the street. You probably did not do any permanent damage, but you probably don't want to do it that way again.

Do a search on the forums for "jacking points" and you will get lost of help. Here is a diagram.
http://home.earthlink.net/~theadmira...tible/id5.html

Notice you can use the cross members, but not the center. The locations marked with a "3" are the puck locations.

Rich
That's a good diagram for Jacking points, but what about jack stand placement after it's jacked up. Also, If I wanted to put the entire car on JS's to say replace the exhaust system, is there a procedure ie..front first and then the rear or vicevera?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM
LTVetteVert00
Racer

Guys,

MLEN1UM has clearly trumped the hockey pucks. I received the BMW "lift pad" pucks in the mail that he recommended and they ROCK! I just leaned over and snapped them into place permanently. I like them much better because:
  1. They are always there for the times when you are not the person lifting the car
  2. You don't need to keep track of your pucks
  3. You don't even notice them unless you look under the car.
  4. Best of all, it makes jacking much easier. You can see exactly where to jack by just looking under the car. Jack allignment is quick and easy

You just can't beat this for $6.95 each.

MadDog

Assumption is the mother of all screwups...but, I am assuming the year and model of your Vette does not matter to BMW? I have a Y2K Vert and all I need to do is go to the BMW site and search like instructed and ...whamo...problem solved?
LT
Old 03-14-2007, 04:19 PM
BrianG01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this myself. Got 2 $.99 hockey pucks from a sporting goods store, 2 bolts for $1 from home depot and got this jack from harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039

cheapest jacking combo ive seen...
Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default BMW Jacking Pucks

Originally Posted by Vette78LT
Assumption is the mother of all screwups...but, I am assuming the year and model of your Vette does not matter to BMW? I have a Y2K Vert and all I need to do is go to the BMW site and search like instructed and ...whamo...problem solved?
LT
Sorry, for some reason I never got the notification on this post. Yes, that is all there is to it. It works on any C5. I've been using the BMW pucks for a while now and jacked them up probably 30 times.

I jack the whole side of the car up using the front puck, put a stand under the front cradle and another stand under the rear BMW jacking puck. I then put a rubber hockey puck on top of the rear jack stand for the permanent BMW puck to sit on. This has four benefits.
  1. Protects the plastic rocker panel from the jackstand when raising and lowering the opposite side
  2. Gives an elastic cushion on the stand to take up any play in the jack stands just in case your floor is not exactly level.
  3. Softer contact area on the permanent plastic BMW puck. (probably not necessary, but a benefit non-the-less)
  4. I actually have a use for the hockey pucks I bought to start this thread.

This works really well, the car is rock solid and it is a snap to jack up if you have a low race jack.

MadDog
Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default BMW Jacking Pucks

Originally Posted by C5C5RUN
That's a good diagram for Jacking points, but what about jack stand placement after it's jacked up. Also, If I wanted to put the entire car on JS's to say replace the exhaust system, is there a procedure ie..front first and then the rear or vicevera?
See my post #46 for the way I do it. Some people may have an issue with me jacking the whole side of the car from the front puck position, but I have been doing it for years on two Z06's and a C5 Coupe with no issues. The car is incredibly stiff. You can tell there is no flex in the car when you can open and close the door with perfect alignment while sitting on the jack.

MadDog
Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Scuba Driver
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

The hockey puck method is awesome. I have order a couple extra pucks to place on the cradle to protect it while having it on the jack stands.

Jeff
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Where in Northern California would you buy hockey pucks
Old 04-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryP
4. If you are going to be working under the car you can easily place 2 jack stands. Locate the 2 reinforced shipping slots in the frame rail just aft of the front wheel and forward of the rear wheel. Carefully place the jack stands under these points.
You may have to angle the jack stand contact point to clear the fiberglass rocker panel cover.

No jacking pucks required.
Gary, This is how I lift my car to change to race tires, etc. However, I have never used jack stands at the points you mentioned (which are also where everyone places the jacking pucks.) Is the end of the jack stand resting on the metal surface around the opening?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Scuba Driver
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Where in Northern California would you buy hockey pucks
This was the cheapest place I found.
http://www.skatebuys.com/pricepu.html

$6.95 shipping on 12 pucks, seemed reasonable as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:05 AM
FUN LS1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

good tip. will get on this
Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 AM
TomT
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 38 Posts

Since there was no way in hell that I could find ice hockey pucks in Central Florida, I made mine out of a scrap 2X4 and a hole saw. Total cost was about $0.50 per.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Scuba Driver
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Tom,

A 2x4 certainly "wood" work well for this application. And it reduces the cost even more.

Good idea, I like it!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 AM
BRU
Le Mans Master

Do a search on the forums for "jacking points" and you will get lost of help. Here is a diagram.
http://home.earthlink.net/~theadmira...tible/id5.html

Notice you can use the cross members, but not the center. The locations marked with a "3" are the puck locations.

Rich
Okay, so if we drive the front of our vette up on ramps, use the "1" jacking point to further lift the car, are the "3" locations ideal for the jack stands? With the pucks/2X4s/whatever underneath them, of course. Also, do we need pucks for the "1" location, or just the "3" location?

We were hoping to swap out our sway bars and shocks this weekend, and need to get this figured out. Thanks all.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Villain
Racer

Originally Posted by BrianG01
I just did this myself. Got 2 $.99 hockey pucks from a sporting goods store, 2 bolts for $1 from home depot and got this jack from harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039

cheapest jacking combo ive seen...
Please be careful with that harbor Freight stuff. The prices are great but the quality is suspect at times. I bought a pnuematic nailer from them and it gave me fits trying to nail down hardwood flooring. I had to rent one from Home Depot.
I guess for lifting onto jackstands it would be OK but not for extended periods. I don't know if I would want to change a tire using their equipment.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:23 AM
npm
Instructor

thanks for all the inform, guess i have a project this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50

Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Double-decker lift pads

Originally Posted by MYZED06_EH
Here is some handy info;

http://www.97vette.com/howto/liftpads/index.html

They work great!
Yes, this works great. I just did mine this week with some .99 cent hockey pucks from Dicks Sporting goods. This is very simple, effective, and cheap. Pucks are here: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...Id=20950513752
Old 04-25-2007, 07:48 PM
GOFASTERNUT
Racer

I just bought the BMW ones. I don' have any freaking time to make the hockey puck ones. Thanks for all the help on this site, guys!! I am a newbie to the 'Vette scene. I have had a Camaro since '98 and recently stepped up to the C5. This site is so good for someone like me!! Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 AM
taegee2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Idea and works great. Went out to Sports Authority and bought a 12 pack of pucks for $9.99 and eye bolts for $0.50 each at Home Depot. Made 2 sets of four and gave one set to a friend (and still have four pucks left over). Sports Authority also has the pucks for $0.99 each. Thanks for the info MadDog.

Last edited by taegee2; 04-26-2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: add a sentence

Quick Reply: Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50