C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace the (p1416) air check valve??

Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
When mine threw a code for the passenger side valve years ago, I pushed few shots of PB Blaster through the hose in the direction of the check valve in the back of the engine. I figured PB Blaster would be better at breaking up gunk than WD40. The PB Blaster cleared it right up, and I think it's been at LEAST 5 years, now.

A few weeks ago I removed the intake manifold to change the oil pressure sensor. While back there, I removed the check valve to replace it, just to be safe. Turns out the auto parts store had given me the wrong model valve, and no one else in my area had one, so I examined mine closely.

I compared the valve's operation to the driver's side check valve which I had previously replaced, by blowing with my mouth through both of them in both directions and I couldn't tell the difference. A few tiny pieces of carbon came out, but that was it. Apparently, the PB Blaster really had done the trick, so I just put it back in. I did contemplate switching them, since the drver's side valve was newer, but I seriously couldn't see a difference between the newer driver's side valve and the one that was 16 years old. In fact, I put the 16 year old valve back where it was behind the engine.
Great advice there.
So PB Blaster instead of WD-40 and carb cleaner down drivers side and/or passenger's side hose straight to the valves?
How many squirts aprox. ?
Thanks in advance. 👍
Old 11-10-2017, 01:19 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Noam Tasini
Great advice there.
So PB Blaster instead of WD-40 and carb cleaner down drivers side and/or passenger's side hose straight to the valves?
How many squirts aprox. ?
Thanks in advance. 👍
I think I just did like 3 to 4 squires. You want to shoot into the side in which the pump blows TOWARDS the valve, so the stuff gets into the side of the valve diaphragm that opens, because I'm pretty sure they tend to get stuck closed. I hope that makes sense.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:52 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

The thread that never stops giving or getting old. Another thanks to Bill C. for doing the early work on this problem. Still very relevant.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

I think I just did like 3 to 4 squires. You want to shoot into the side in which the pump blows TOWARDS the valve, so the stuff gets into the side of the valve diaphragm that opens, because I'm pretty sure they tend to get stuck closed. I hope that makes sense.
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

I don't have my car with me right now, but if I remember correctly, the hose going to that valve is rubber on that side (someone should correct me if I'm wrong) , so in lieu of compressed air, you might be able to lift the rubber hose a bit and use gravity to help get the liquid more towards the valve when you spray.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

I don't have my car with me right now, but if I remember correctly, the hose going to that valve is rubber on that side (someone should correct me if I'm wrong) , so in lieu of compressed air, you might be able to lift the rubber hose a bit and use gravity to help get the liquid more towards the valve when you spray.
My car is a 2004 Z06, so the code is P0492 for bank 2.
Is there any benefit in spraying the driver's side valve (bank 1), or should I just head on to Bank 2 behind the intake manifold?
Any picture where passenger's side valve is located and where to release hose from connector?

What PB Blaster should I use? They have like 10 lines of products... 🤔.

Thanks again. Amazing support here always on any issue . 👏.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When I first started this A.I.R repair post, I had a MISCONCEPTION about the construction of the valves. I "ASSUMED" that they were hard valve with a spring and a seat.

I took one apart and it does NOT work like you would expect.

There is a rubber disk that bends open when the pump runs to allow air into the exhaust system. When the pump shuts off the rubber disk seals the opening.

As the rubber disk ages and is exposed to heat, it gets HARD and less flexible. When it gets hard, it does not bend open properly and allow enough air to get into the exhaust system to pass the test PCM A.I.R. test.

Chemical treatment is only a band-aid. Valve replacement is the ONLY true solution to resolve the issue. I have only had success using brake parts cleaner and or carb cleaner to soften up and clean the rubber disk.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 11-10-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
When I first started this A.I.R repair post, I had a MISCONCEPTION about the construction of the valves. I "ASSUMED" that they were hard valve with a spring and a seat.

I took one apart and it does NOT work like you would expect.

There is a rubber disk that bends open when the pump runs to allow air into the exhaust system. When the pump shuts off the rubber disk seals the opening.

As the rubber disk ages and is exposed to heat, it gets HARD and less flexible. When it gets hard, it does not bend open properly and allow enough air to get into the exhaust system to pass the test PCM A.I.R. test.

Chemical treatment is only a band-aid. Valve replacement is the ONLY true solution to resolve the issue. I have only had success using brake parts cleaner and or carb cleaner to soften up and clean the rubber disk.

Bill
I absolutely understand that after reading this long thread.
Thing is, the P0492 I'm getting indicates that it's the more complicated to replace- passenger's side one... Ugghhh... How much is a valve btw and are they available from autozone for instance?
Old 11-11-2017, 04:04 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Thing is, the P0492 I'm getting indicates that it's the more complicated to replace- passenger's side one... Ugghhh... How much is a valve btw and are they available from autozone for instance?
You are aware there is an alternative method of changing that Valve?
Relocate it.
Look it up on YouTube.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

FWIW, When I checked my 16 yr. old valve many years after using the PB Blaster squirts, it was not dry and hard. It sill worked like a standard flexible diaphragm is supposed to.

(BTW, I used the PB Blaster formula designed to loosen bolts and such.)

Yes, Autozone has them for about $30, BUT, make sure they sell you the correct one. If you look a the valve closely, there is a number stamped on it. Look at the driver's side valve, as they are both the same. You can even take the driver's side one off, or take a picture, if you like, so you can compare that to the one they sell you. FWIW, my 2000 Suburban's check valves look the same, but I have not yet directly compared them. If they are the same, they might actually be cheaper and not have the "Corvette tax". I should really compare them, so we all know.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:09 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by runner140*
You are aware there is an alternative method of changing that Valve?
Relocate it.
Look it up on YouTube.
Here in California, you are NOT allowed to modify emissions components in ANY way, even if it's just re-routing something, while keeping it operational. I couldn't believe it when I was told this by a smog shop! What ****s they are here!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Here in California, you are NOT allowed to modify emissions components in ANY way, even if it's just re-routing something, while keeping it operational. I couldn't believe it when I was told this by a smog shop! What ****s they are here!
I'm in Nevada. Wouldn't know if it's legal or not.
Either way, how complicated is it to replace the passenger's side one? Is squirting PB into passenger's side easy to do for now?
Thanks for advice on parts cost and model number MrLeadfoot.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LOL!! Like the emissions Natzi would know if you moved a AIR Valve. Unless he ownned a C5, I seriously doubt anyone would really know unless you cobbled it together with tape and bailing wire..

When I FIRST purchased my 98 C5, I was heasiant about doing anything to the engine. Especially when it was under warranty.

Taking the intake manifold off really isnt that difficult. That will allow you to access all the AIR stuff for the passengers side valve.

bc
Old 11-12-2017, 11:36 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

I failed a smog test because I had an oil catch can installed, even though it did not affect the PCV system. I was irritated by this, to say the least, and that's when I had my first discussion with a smog shop about emissions system requirements.

I took the catch can out, and went to a different shop. I watched while the guy looked over everything. I'm not sure if he had a diagram to where all components are supposed to be, but it sure looked like he knew exactly where to look for everything, because he was indeed looking and feeling around the back of the motor. I wouldn't be surprised if they have diagrams they are supposed to follow. I passed, of course, and I later told him what happened at the other shop. He told me that the emissions system cannot be altered in any way, without exception. I told him the catch can did not affect the PCV system, and in fact might actually help to lower emissions, but he said that didn't matter and that the smog laws were very strict, and that they could lose their license if they passed me with a catch can installed.

Since you have to pay whether you pass or fail, I, personally, wouldn't take a chance and go through the trouble of rerouting the passenger check valve. If you reroute it, and fail the test, then you have to take off the manifold again to put it back, which means you had to do that twice. They don't seem to go out that often, so over the life of your car, it's possible you only have to do the job once, if ever. So, it's not worth the extra work or risk, in my opinion.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 11-12-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:41 AM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

... don't seem to go out that often, so over the life of your car, it's possible you only have to do the job once, if ever. So, it's not worth the extra work or risk, in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 776 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I'm in Nevada. Wouldn't know if it's legal or not.
Either way, how complicated is it to replace the passenger's side one? Is squirting PB into passenger's side easy to do for now?
Thanks for advice on parts cost and model number MrLeadfoot.
I lived in Vegas and all they do is check millage and plug into the OBD port. I have all my codes tuned out
Old 11-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smoken1
I lived in Vegas and all they do is check millage and plug into the OBD port. I have all my codes tuned out
Vegas here as well.
So would I pass by just deleting the P0492 code prior to OBD connection by them?

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace the (p1416) air check valve??

Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 776 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

No you have to Tune them out
Old 11-13-2017, 02:23 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry, didn't realize you couldn't (re-route/re-position) the air check valve. No vehicle inspections down here.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:29 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

04z.. P0492

Need smog check this week

Please if someone could clarify, P0492 is the check valve behind block?

I'm confused where to spray PBblaster... Disconnect the rubber line from Y joint on drivers side near brake booster and spray it down there? What is downstream from the check valve? Does it literally go to the check valve and then to exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace the (p1416) air check valve??