C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resetting tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:31 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
Well I almost gave up. Tried three more different magnets (the last one from a hard drive I broke into which has strong magnets) still no horn response from any wheel. So I called the local dealership and they said they would need the car for about 3-hours and the re-programming the sensors could get pretty tricky. So I did some more research on the Internet and one person recommended using a large magnet from a dial-indicator - which I forgot I had in the tool chest. Tried that - still no response from any wheel. Finally, I told myself it cannot be the magnet strength or that all 4 new sensors are bad - so I tried one more thing. I put the large magnet on the first wheel without moving it and after 5-seconds the horn sounded! Same for the next 3 wheels - had to keep the magnet from moving for 5 seconds each.

Anyway, all are programmed now and all showing the exact pressure I added with my gauge last night.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Don't forget the 3 hours labor at the stealership includes lunch for the boys!!

Here's the magnet I use...

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/index....ROD&ProdID=116

Last edited by gpotski; 08-28-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 PM
YOULLUZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I have tried everything in this thread with no luck. Reset all the codes, tried to get a reading from all wheels and nothing. I'm in this $25 already having bought 4 diffrent magnets.. Can someone tell me where to buy the correct GM tool to do this? Is this something a dealer is going to have in stock? I'm tired of messing around with it..
Old 08-29-2007, 05:47 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

After installing new wheels and sensors, I did all four of mine with a magnetic telecoping pickup tool from Sears with a 5lb lifting force.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 AM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default An old speaker magnet should do it

Originally Posted by YOULLUZ
OK, so I have tried everything in this thread with no luck. Reset all the codes, tried to get a reading from all wheels and nothing. I'm in this $25 already having bought 4 diffrent magnets.. Can someone tell me where to buy the correct GM tool to do this? Is this something a dealer is going to have in stock? I'm tired of messing around with it..
Also READ the ABOVE POST. You may have to LEAVE IT IN PLACE for a few SECONDS. BIGHANK
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Mangusta1969
Instructor

Default Watch the polarity of the magnets, too

YOULLUZ,

Also pay attention to the North and South pole orientation of the magnets. I had trouble with some of my magnets until I flipped them over and placed them at the base of the valve stems .

Contrary to other's experience here, my Sears magnetic pickup tool absolutely did not work to trigger the sensors, either (probably because of the pole orientation of my pickup tool).

Let us know if this advice helps you.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 PM
My99Vet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put new wheels and sensors on my 99 Coupe and did the relearn for the sensors. I got the horn to sound and went through all the wheels as directed by DIC. My settings still show no numbers, just blank spaces.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:09 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by My99Vet
I just put new wheels and sensors on my 99 Coupe and did the relearn for the sensors. I got the horn to sound and went through all the wheels as directed by DIC. My settings still show no numbers, just blank spaces.
Go out and DRIVE the car .... that will "wake up" the sensors and allow the RFA to receive the pressure data. Should only take 5 minutes, at most ....

Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Tps

Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM
My99Vet
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Go out and DRIVE the car .... that will "wake up" the sensors and allow the RFA to receive the pressure data. Should only take 5 minutes, at most ....

That did the trick! Thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Found another magnet that works -- I have one of those 5" dia. parts trays with a magnetic base (the type that you can stick anywhere and stick loose screws in to keep them from disappearing). The magnet was strong enough to trigger the sensors; all I had to do was make sure before I started the relearn procedure that none of the four valve stems was next to its wheel's brake caliper, so that I could insert the parts tray far enough in between the spokes to get it into position next to the valve stem.

I suspect there may not be enough room to get the magnet close enough to the valve stem on Z06 wheels, but it worked fine on my '04 thin spokes.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 AM
SpiralGray03
Instructor

Default Similar problem

My problem is similar, but perhaps with a slight twist.

I have brand new CCW SP20s with new sensors. I also tried the learning procedure and couldn't get a response from the left front using a very powerful aquarium magnet, strong enough to pinch your fingers. I tried placing the magnet between the spokes resting on the wheel rim right above the sensor. Now here's the question: My original thin spokes are in close proximity of the car inside the garage. Could it be that the activated sensors in the OEM wheels are interferring with the learning procedure for the SP20s?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 AM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Magnet

Harbor Freight has the round magnets (strong) for less than $5.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiralGray03
Could it be that the activated sensors in the OEM wheels are interferring with the learning procedure for the SP20s?
Not unless you have a magnet fastened to them as well. The magnet just closes a switch that allows the pressure sensor to transmit its information. It doesn't take much of a magnet to do the job. Here is the Radio Shack 99 cent magnet I used on my 97.

Bill
Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 PM
SpiralGray03
Instructor

Thanks, Bill. One thing that I didn't try is checking if I have air pressure readings displayed in the DIC. If I do it would mean that the car is still reading the OEM tires.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 PM
SpiralGray03
Instructor

OK, I finally got mine to work. As others have alluded to, it's kind of a "feel" thing. And the power of the magnet isn't critical. I ended up using the wand type pulling it from inside the wheel towards the valve stem. Touching the stem didn't do anything, so I wonder how the high-priced GM tool works at all. Thanks to everyone who has provided the benefit of their experience.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:52 PM
airb173
1st Gear

Tried all the magnets mentioned...the only one that worked for me was the magnetic parts tray. Worked like a charm....took 5 sec per wheel.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default TPM MAGNETS and PLACEMENT

I keep seeing people having trouble with the magnets working on the Tire pressure sensors.

If you're having issues with the magnet working, reconsider where your placing the magnet on the sensor. If you examine the sensors placement inside the rim when its mounted, placing the magnet in the rim on TOP of the sensor may allow it to activate the reed switch in the sensor. Heres a picture of the sensor mounted inside the rim:

Put the magnet on the other side of the valve stem further inside the rim.

Get notified of new replies

To resetting tire pressure sensors

Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Check to see if your horn is working before beginning the procedure.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM
VETTEGUY1977
Instructor

I reset mine using an old 6" car speaker. Pretty simple and no special gm bogus tools needed.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I every microwave there are TWO very strong ceramic magnets in the magnetron, There in the shape of a dough nut. They make a fantastic reset magnet as you can sit it on the valve stem.

I have a bunch of them. They come in handy for a LOT of things.

If you have or see a junk microwave,, grab the magnets out of that magnetron.

BC

Quick Reply: resetting tire pressure sensors