C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering groan/ little resistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
cmeflibi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering groan/ little resistance

when I turn my wheel slightly to the left or any further the left side feels like it has resistance and makes a slight groan noise. Nothing to the right. car has decent miles on it, 90k. Its a 98 a4. i thought it might be out of power steering fluid, but it looks full. Any tricks here im missing. maybe the bushing on that side is going or something. It seems to pull a little to the left i think also. for some reason i can't remember. I just got a recent alignment like 10k miles ago.

could it maybee be the tires or the brakes?

thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmeflibi
when I turn my wheel slightly to the left or any further the left side feels like it has resistance and makes a slight groan noise. Nothing to the right. car has decent miles on it, 90k. Its a 98 a4. i thought it might be out of power steering fluid, but it looks full. Any tricks here im missing. maybe the bushing on that side is going or something. It seems to pull a little to the left i think also. for some reason i can't remember. I just got a recent alignment like 10k miles ago.

could it maybee be the tires or the brakes?

thanks for all the help in advance.

The problem happens only when turning to the left? Sounds like it could be in the rack/pinion aka steering gear...

I would think if it was a joint tie rod end or ball joint binding you would feel it turning in both directions. If it was the power steering pump same deal... as it just has a pressure and return line...

One easy way to diagnose it.. try lifting the front wheels off the ground see if the problem is still there.. and if so.. try disconnecting the tie rod ends on both sides.. and try it again... ect.. isolating the problem is the idea.. but good chance it' an issue with the rack...

-=Rick
Old 02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Blown 346
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a tie rod but those usually make a popping noise. I agree with the rack diagnosis.

Once the car is in the air grab the side of tires at the 3 and 9 O clock positions and try to wiggle them. They should not have play, if they do tie rods could be something to look at.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 AM
cmeflibi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys i'll have to check it out this weekend. I'm trying to get this thing back to being nice but it always seems like i'm fixing the vette

Get notified of new replies

To power steering groan/ little resistance

Quick Reply: power steering groan/ little resistance