C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC P1870 and one hell of a ride.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 10:09 PM
LVNLG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC P1870 and one hell of a ride.

Just got back my baby with all of the goodies, several pureists have e-mailed me about "ruining my PaceCar". The ride is so sweet however for those thinking about using the XR-1 with no cats or mufflers, it is extremely loud, I like it. Two questions: trouble code P1870 came up which I suspect is a transmission related problem as the car will not shift to the next gear without letting off the gas when floored and hits the rev. limiter. Ed Wright can't get me in till Nov. 12th to do a dyno-tune, so do I continue driving it without getting on it, or should I worry about the 1870 code and return it to the mechanics. Can not wait to get to the track when this is all done.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:13 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: DTC P1870 and one hell of a ride. (LVNLG)

P1870 is excessive tranny slip. The transmission output shaft speed is compared to engine speed when the TCC is engaged. With the TCC engaged, the two speeds should match closely (taking into account the gearing) since there should be little/no slip with the torque converter locked.

If the computer detects significant slippage in the tranny with the TCC engaged, you get this code. Causes can range from the TCC itself, to TCC or shift solenoids, to valve body problems, or just about anything else in the tranny.

Mike
Old 10-10-2001, 11:30 AM
spindoctor
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The code and the shifting are seperate issues. The code is due to the higher stall torque converter and the shifting issues are probably due to the gear change without proper reprograming. If you have the programing the correct shift point can be hard to determine with an aftermarket converter as the 98 shifts based on MPH rather than RPM.

[Modified by spindoctor, 10:34 AM 10/10/2001]
Old 10-10-2001, 01:28 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: DTC P1870 and one hell of a ride. (spindoctor)

I wouldn't think a higher stall converter would cause the P1870 by itself (unless there's something wrong with it's TCC lockup) since that code only sets when the TCC is locked up. At that point, the torque converter is effectively bypassed altogether.

Mike
Old 10-10-2001, 09:18 PM
LVNLG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies, I just had a pro-torque converter put in with a set of 3:42 gears, do you think the re-program from Ed Wright will fix this or is it a mechanical issue. I'll probably let the car sit until I can figure out the problem. Still learning and appreciate the help!

Get notified of new replies

To DTC P1870 and one hell of a ride.

Quick Reply: DTC P1870 and one hell of a ride.