C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of CCA catch can

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 AM
frc_kid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of CCA catch can

Well, the finish on the piece is very nice, definitely looks great under the hood with the bright anodized finish. Unfortunately, the billet mount for the catch can was designed horribly. The clamp design uses a set screw that gouges the side of the catch can. Mine came from CCA with a huge gash in the side. The clamp should have been designed with a small gap and two screws used to squeeze the can.

Hopefully this describes what I'm talking about.

On a side note, does anyone know the thread pitch/size of the tapped hole on the front side of the passenger cyl head? I didn't receive any kind of fastener with my $100 catch can either

One more question: Instructions say install the can in series with the hose coming from the back of the intake, but it looks like there's another hose coming from the side of the pass. valve cover into the side of the throttle body. Is that a second breather or what?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 AM
bb609
Melting Slicks

Bolt is a 10mm - 1.5 x 20mm. The hose from the valve cover to TB is left alone.
Check this thread out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1582603

Last edited by bb609; 03-08-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:10 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Try emailing CCA. He's a good guy and I'm sure he will exchange the damaged part for you. You should also email him about missing hardware. He'll straighten it out for you. No worries man
Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by frc_kid
but it looks like there's another hose coming from the side of the pass. valve cover into the side of the throttle body. Is that a second breather or what?

Thanks,
Jon
i communicated with chip about that hose and tying it into the catch can and plugging off the tube on the t-body. his reply was to install a t-fitting on the upper hose on the catch-can and running the hose from the valve cover to this t. then cap off the t-body.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmm, I wouldn't think you would want to plug the Throttle-body hose fitting. That's where the crankcase gets it's fresh, filtered air to equalize the crankcase pressure that the PVC is sucking out.
If you tied that hose into the PVC hose, then the PVC would suck a vacuum on the crankcase from two places, have no supply of replacement air, and probably promote more blow-by and less evacuation of the evil crankcase gasses.

Correct, guys?

DG
Old 03-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got mine on today , Very happy with it. Chip was very helpful My Z06 looked different than the install pics So I emailed him & he sent me a diagram showing how it goes. Took about 10 min. to install it. Very high Quality piece!

Get notified of new replies

To Review of CCA catch can

Quick Reply: Review of CCA catch can