C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 Vs Magnetic Select Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Corvette Poor
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Z51 Vs Magnetic Select Ride

I have owned a C5 with the standard FE1 suspension and I've owned the Z51 option also. After owning a Z51, I would never have a standard suspension again. I love the way the Z51 drives and handles.
Now my question is......How does the Magnetic Select Ride option compare to the Z51 ? Can anyone shed some light on this for me ? I am considering buying a car with Mag Select but have never driven one yet.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The MSRC system feels completely different from either the FE1 or the Z51 systems (though is probably closer to the Z51 in performance). A buddy of mine has it on his C6 and I've driven it a number of times.

It is most effective (in my opinion) on rough roads. Cornering where there is a bump in the middle of the corner is a good example. While the Z51 system stiffness causes the car to "jump" out of the corner as it goes over the bump, the MSRC system just seems to soak it up and keep the car tracking where you point it.

On the other side of the coin, the system feels like it allows more body roll in corners, and doesn't feel as "stiff" ... now maybe that is just my impression, and I could be wrong.

If you're considring systems for a daily driver, I'd STRONGLY recommend you try driving a car fitted with it, as it really seems to be a good combination of smooth ride and good performance. If you're looking for an all-out "performance" suspension ... then MSRC may not be the best fit. Remember while the MSRC is offered on late C5 and all C6 coupe/converts, GM did not make it available on the Z06 in either generation.

As I've pointed out before, MSRC is a good enough system that Ferrari has licensed it from GM/Delphi and is using it on the new 599 GTB Fiorano and Audi has licensed it for the TT and the new R8 ... pretty high end cars ....
Old 03-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I have never driven a vette with the Z51 but, my 03 has the MSRC. There is an very noticeable difference between "Tour" and "Sport" modes. Tour is a smooth ride with a little roll on corners. Sport mode feels every bump in the road, reduces "bump steer" and corners very flat. I love the option.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Vs Magnetic Select Ride

Quick Reply: Z51 Vs Magnetic Select Ride